Archived hit and run in the parking lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is targets policy on hit and runs? Last weekend, we had some juvenile guests driving recklessly in our parking lot, hit a parked car so hard it moved into another space, and then high tail it on out of there. The cart attendant immediately notified our stl, and was promptly given the response "There's nothing we can do about it!" I realize that it's the victimized car owners responsibility to notify police/insurance agents, and that it's a liability and an added burden for any target employees who were witnesses to involve themselves in possible legal proceedings, but is that the honest to gods truth there is nothing we can do about it?

On a seperate day, a team member notified the stl that a guest has left their headlights on in the parking lot, and was given the exact same response. Which I think is total bs, because I have personally heard gstls get on the overhead to notify shoppers that a make and model so and so is in the parking lot with its headlights on...

So everybody at our store is noticing this trend with the Stl, that they constantly decline to act. If I gave them the benefit of the doubt, I'd say she was too busy with guests and trying to make sales to want to bother getting involved in either situation. But that would be total bs because I think they are just rotten executives who don't deserve their job!

Speaking from an ETL standpoint and your STL doesn't need to be a d**k about it, but they are right there is nothing Target can technically do. We can provide any video footage of the parking lot to law enforcement. As the the headlight thing, we always page just cause its the nice thing to do

Awesome man, I truly appreciate the reply! I was wondering by the way they responded if target was even allowed to cooperate with law enforcement or if they shared survelliance footage.

Wow lots of exec hate....

Anyways, the overhead is only supposed to be used for closing announcements and emergencies. Guests leaving their headlights on isn't an emergency. This is what the DTL told us anyways. Anyone who deserves to be driving a car has jumper cables anyway.....

that doesn't mean they have somebody to give them a jump, assuming that they have cables in the first place. And they may be parked so that their car would have to be pushed out of it's spot to be jumped. But, thanks for the reply, that's good info about what your DTL said.

What is targets policy on hit and runs? Last weekend, we had some juvenile guests driving recklessly in our parking lot, hit a parked car so hard it moved into another space, and then high tail it on out of there. The cart attendant immediately notified our stl, and was promptly given the response "There's nothing we can do about it!" I realize that it's the victimized car owners responsibility to notify police/insurance agents, and that it's a liability and an added burden for any target employees who were witnesses to involve themselves in possible legal proceedings, but is that the honest to gods truth there is nothing we can do about it?

On a seperate day, a team member notified the stl that a guest has left their headlights on in the parking lot, and was given the exact same response. Which I think is total bs, because I have personally heard gstls get on the overhead to notify shoppers that a make and model so and so is in the parking lot with its headlights on...

So everybody at our store is noticing this trend with the Stl, that they constantly decline to act. If I gave them the benefit of the doubt, I'd say she was too busy with guests and trying to make sales to want to bother getting involved in either situation. But that would be total bs because I think they are just rotten executives who don't deserve their job!
The reason for the headlight situation is that there was a scam at one time where someone reported a cars lights were on. And an announcement was made. The owner went out to look at the car, and was mugged. Target did not want to be at fault for another situation so they stopped doing overheads for non-emergencies.

If Target owns the lot and is aware that it happened (IE somebody witnessed it and told the STL/ETL what happened) then they have to report it to the police. A reasonable person would report a hit and run to the police and that is the standard that company policy is held to.

Lawyerish speak w/examples:

1. A store employee is moving the cart when it collides with the
victim's auto. In this case the store is clearly responsible under
respondeat superior.

2. A store employee has possession of the cart but abandons it for
some reason. Subsequently it begins to roll because of the slope of
the lot and collides with an auto. Treat the same as 1, above.

3. A customer is moving the cart when it collides with the victim's
auto. The customer is in control of the cart and is responsible for
the collision. The store is pretty clearly _not_ responsible.

4. A customer uses the cart and abandons it in the lot. As with (2),
it beings to roll and collides with an auto. Clearly the customer is
negligent, but the store may _also_ be negligent. For example, if the
lot is sloped so heavily that it letting go of a cart for a moment to
load your purchases in your trunk, a good lawyer could argue that the
store contributed to the loss through its negligence.

OTOH, most stores have signs in their parking lots that claim they
have no responsiblity for your car when it is parked there. This may
or may not insulate the store against a claim of ordinary negligence.
(Courts have held that you can not insulate yourself against claims
for intentional torts or gross negligence.)

you are right stores can claim they are not responsible for cart damage,but if the it can be proved with photographs or video that the store allows the situation where carts are all over the parking lot I think they generally pay up.

Related situation:

On a hot day, a guest told me a dog was left alone in a car with a window open just a bit. I told the LOD, and she told me she (the LOD) can't do anything but the guest has the option to make a phone call from the store. :mda:

Related situation:

On a hot day, a guest told me a dog was left alone in a car with a window open just a bit. I told the LOD, and she told me she (the LOD) can't do anything but the guest has the option to make a phone call from the store. :mda:

Hell, at that point I would have taken my 15 and called the cops myself or called them in front of the LOD.
Sorry but that's BS.

Related situation:

That's exactly what I've heard! Sounds like BS, but, my exec told the guest the same thing "we can't do anything, but, you are more than welcome to make a phone call at guest service, just make sure to call the NON EMERGENCY number for the police department!"

I believe Target's official stance is that if it happens outside a store and not related to store operations or life-threatening, it will not get involved unless asked by a law enforcement agency.

Once again, Target has no liability for this kind of thing until they are informed of it but don't do anything about it. If the dog dies and nobody told the LOD, it's not Spot's fault because it's reality. But if a Cart attendent see's something like a baby in the back of a car and tell's the LOD then Target is now responsible to communicate that problem to the authorities. If they don't then the court is going to come down on the store hard.

Related situation:

If the dog was in distress, I would call the police to save the dog. Excuse me, but f*ck the LOD, there are times when you have a moral duty to act.

If the dog was in distress, I would call the police to save the dog. Excuse me, but f*ck the LOD, there are times when you have a moral duty to act.

Been there done that.

Hit and run, we just had that happen. Guest calls cops gets that report going, police work with store to get video of the hit and run. At least that is what happened with the one in our lot, which is our lot, not shared, not a mall lot. We had this bitch on video smash a TM's car then drive across the lot to the other doors(we were a greatland) park and come in and do her shopping.. PD is doing an actual investigation since the dollar amount is a felony..

Been there done that.

Hit and run, we just had that happen. Guest calls cops gets that report going, police work with store to get video of the hit and run. At least that is what happened with the one in our lot, which is our lot, not shared, not a mall lot. We had this bitch on video smash a TM's car then drive across the lot to the other doors(we were a greatland) park and come in and do her shopping.. PD is doing an actual investigation since the dollar amount is a felony..
Way to go!

thread-necromancy.png

I like how people are replying to a thread from 2011 from a member who has since been banned.

Been there done that.

Wtf is wrong with these people? Arrest that fucking bitch!

Once again, Target has no liability for this kind of thing until they are informed of it but don't do anything about it. If the dog dies and nobody told the LOD, it's not Spot's fault because it's reality. But if a Cart attendent see's something like a baby in the back of a car and tell's the LOD then Target is now responsible to communicate that problem to the authorities. If they don't then the court is going to come down on the store hard.
Baby or dog in car on a hot day, both are abuse. I don't give a fuck what LOD says, I am calling the police. Fuck the LOD. Lock him or her up in a hot car and let him die.

I believe Target's official stance is that if it happens outside a store and not related to store operations or life-threatening, it will not get involved unless asked by a law enforcement agency.
Target just doesn't want to be involved in any legal issues. I wonder if drugs can be sold from the parking lot. It is outside the store.

Baby or dog in car on a hot day, both are abuse. I don't give a fuck what LOD says, I am calling the police. Fuck the LOD. Lock him or her up in a hot car and let him die.

In many states either an infant or an animal locked in a hot car is protected by the Good Samaritan Law. Also, the abuse of an animal is a felony and is punishable with jail time. (New law to my state....my state used to be one of the only ones where animal abuse was a misdemeanor.) We finally caught up with the rest of the country!!
The issue my state had with animals is that they have to be classified as companion animals....."companion" is any pet or service animal. Animals that are used for farming and consumption are not part of this law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back