Archived Holiday Season Time Off Request Black Out Dates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone! I just had a question for you all. My store has recently said that they will not be approving any time off requests from a date in November( which I cannot remember right now) until January 1st. So basically any time off request you put it will be automatically denied. They said it is because myTime automatically denies it and since 4th quarter is our busiest season they need everyone to be available. They claim that it is just a part of retail and it is something we have to deal with. I understand the holiday season is our busiest time of year, I just find it very odd that all time off requests will be denied because it is that season. This will be my third Christmas with spot and they have never said anything like this before. So I'm wondering is this change because we are using myTime now? Is this something that is company wide, or is it just my store that is enforcing this policy? They said they will work with us if we need a certain day off, they just don't want people to take a week or weekend off. I am already frustrated with Target and this new policy just makes my frustrations even worse. I barely request any time off but I would like the option to be there. I just don't like Spot feeling like they can rule my life like that.

It's been like this at my store for years.
If there's a compelling reason, you can talk to your ETL/HR/STL.
One lady went to see family that had come from overseas (first time in almost 20 yrs); another TM was getting married & was traveling to the only spot both families could meet.

My store has also been this way for as long as I can remember. The only people who are approved time off are those who need it for medical reasons, surgeries and such.

Think this policy is ridiculous. I hardly ever request time off, so my ETL saying I can't get the day after Christmas off because it's a "blackout date" is a slap in the face.

My store didn't do black out date the last few years. My first few years, we blacked out all of December and most of November. Last year we started doing black out dates again.

It never hurts to ask. I put in my time off request three weeks ago and my tl approved it. I will be off December 23 thru December 26. :)

Think this policy is ridiculous. I hardly ever request time off, so my ETL saying I can't get the day after Christmas off because it's a "blackout date" is a slap in the face.

That is one of the busiest retail days of the year. I don't understand why it's ridiculous. If you get scheduled, try giving you shift away, and if you can't give it away, then maybe you'll understand how difficult it is to keep a store staffed during 4th quarter.

IIRC, I think the only 100% black-out days my store has are the last two weekends of December before Christmas, Christmas Eve and the day after Christmas, and Black Friday weekend.

I'm pretty sure my TL will text me giving me the correct info so I'll update this then >.>

At my store last year ( it might change this year who knows lol) it started about the 15th ( I think or somewhere around there) and ended Jan something and they were quite firm about denying people. I remember someone asking off during December and they got denied and they asked why and they said did you not see the blackout days we were quite firm about that.

For me, I started out with only Black Friday and Day After Xmas being blacked out. Then later on it was Thanksgiving to Christmas then New Years. My last couple years, it was all November to after New Years.

Last edited:
It's not a corporate policy, it's your own store's policy, likely because they can't make staffing levels and/or they want scheduling to be easy for them.

With unemployment below 6% now would be the time to find a new job. It's ridiculous for an employer to expect you not to have any obligations (or to skip those obligations) for a month and a half, retail or not. Particularly in light of what they're likely going to do to your hours at the end of January/February. You don't owe them anything, 3 years or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back