Archived Holy Short Shift!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One week I was scheduled from 12am to 3am....but stayed till 4 and 5am each morning. Never know when your leaving on over night flow.

Today's closing LOD was basically just asking people to stay late left and right.

It's hard to believe there's much of an hours shortage if he can still ask people to stay late.
We keep having ours asking if we want to leave early even though it would leave like two people on the floor for the last two hours. I would rather not leave an hour early on the four hour shift you gave me, thanks...

I have two shifts next week for a total of 6.5 hours. I was told by our LOD this morning that they were told that if someone called out they weren't allowed to extend anyone's shift or call anyone in to cover; they just had to deal with it. Prior to my seeing next weeks schedule I was asked by HR if I would cut one of my 8-hour shifts this week because they over scheduled. I'd said yes, because I figured it was part of being a team player and they'd remember when hours were up for grabs when someone called out. If I would have known they were asking me to cut more hours than I was going to get for the entirety of the next week and they weren't going to cover call outs I would have said no. I feel used.

Raspberry, if I were you I would talk to your HRTM about maybe picking up some shifts if there are any call outs. ETLs may not remember that you gave up your hours, but your HRTM will remember that you volunteered to come in. This means that instead of calling 2 dozen people and getting no reply, he/she only needs to call you! If you become that go-to person, your hours should increase by phone if not on paper. I know you said they weren't calling anyone, but if there are a ton of call outs, they will need someone!

Alternately, you could ask around the cashiers if anyone needs a shift covered. If they don't call people in, taking someone's shift is a way to make sure those hours don't go down the drain.

I know you said they weren't calling anyone, but if there are a ton of call outs, they will need someone!
I wish that were true, but yesterday I was told by the LOD that he couldn't even cover the shift for the operator that had quit - so we didn't have an operator for the first 90 minutes of the day. She was apparently the only person scheduled for softlines and none of the TL's know how to work the phone system beyond answering calls and making annoucements. (And not the wireless phone at all.) If they're not willing to make an exception for the operator, it doesn't seem likely they will anywhere else.

Thanks for the positivity though! I wish it were so.

Raspberry, I am sorry to hear that they wouldn't even cover the operator shift. I know our guests hate to hear the overhead go off. This week is a new week, so hopefully hours won't be quite so bad. Maybe they'll actually call people to cover call outs. Good luck to you!

I don't understand how you could start before the store closes?? With all the pallets and boxes everywhere. Isn't that some kind of liability with customers?
How do you think the 6am and 730am Flow teams do it?

I was referring to when customers were in the store. Not after closing.
Yeah and guests are in the store at 8am when 6am Flow is still working. Pallets and boxes everywhere and haven't had any issues beyond the occasional bad survey. Gotta love the comments about how everyone was so nice but they won't be coming back because there were a bunch of boxes in the aisles.

You're allowed to have pallets on the floor after 8am? It's always a race against time to get all merchandise off of pallets & into tubs, flats or carts before store opening. And no cardboard cages on the floor either.

You're allowed to have pallets on the floor after 8am? It's always a race against time to get all merchandise off of pallets & into tubs, flats or carts before store opening. And no cardboard cages on the floor either.

It's only an issue when it when they want it to be. They say "clean by 8am!" (except where we are to cheap to pay for overnight people, then its fine!)

We are a 7:30 am process. Softline breakout isn't over until 9:30. Pallets are allowed on the floor until 11:00 am.

We are a 7:30 am process. Softline breakout isn't over until 9:30. Pallets are allowed on the floor until 11:00 am.

I am so sorry, 7:30am must suck - big time! We are a 6am flow, but they insist on coming clean before the lights come on at 8am. I don't know how they manage it, our trucks are huge!

The hours at my store on the latest schedule are an abomination. I saw a team member in food avenue on one day of that schedule scheduled for 545pm to 8pm. It's pathetic.
those shifts are usually that work center has very low sales, + that team member sucks at attendance. when hours are cut, they are given to flexible/reliable team members first.

I am so sorry, 7:30am must suck - big time! We are a 6am flow, but they insist on coming clean before the lights come on at 8am. I don't know how they manage it, our trucks are huge!

6am flow store here and "coming clean by 8am" at our store? Ahahahahahahaha. How big are your trucks? 1800-2100 is probably our average (I think) and when those lights come on there are:
  • half of flow team still in grocery, the first area we push after unload. If things are going well we're cleaning up and ready to move elsewhere. If not, its going to be a bad day.
  • several people in HBA. Cleanest place maybe? They're pushing all through unload.
  • a couple guys pushing the half-dozen or so pallets of bed/bath/housewares/etc bowled out onto the floor
  • Flatbeds in pets, stationery, small appliances, sports, seasonal. 1-2+ to an area
  • 3+ pallets in paper and chem each. Paper has probably also been broken out during unload, so boxes all over the floor.
  • 2+ in toys
  • A cage or two in each area, brimming with trash most likely.
Our cleanliness scores are a joke. Red scores week after week. I think they were green once since we switched to 6am? I have no idea how that happened.

Lol, by clean I mean everything broken down into carts, 3 tiers, tubs & flats. We are not allowed to have pallets, pallet jacks or cardboard cages on the floor after 8am. I don't know how they do it, we were 4 am flow until AE14. God help us if they ever move us to 7:30 or 8am flow. We will never get a green score again!

In talking with the Flow TL, it seems our trucks are about the same. Approximately 2,000 pieces each. Our flow is pretty dedicated, we are very lucky to have who we hired for our flow team.

I don't understand how you could start before the store closes?? With all the pallets and boxes everywhere. Isn't that some kind of liability with customers?

Have you ever been in a ULV store at opening?

Most of the team starts at 10:30 to unload the truck, so we usually don't have much freight on the floor yet at closing; mainly just the autofills and a bunch of shopping carts for breaking out repacks. During the holidays, when the flow team starts an hour earlier and the store is open an hour later, it gets a little messy, but it's not bad most of the year.

Lol, by clean I mean everything broken down into carts, 3 tiers, tubs & flats. We are not allowed to have pallets, pallet jacks or cardboard cages on the floor after 8am. I don't know how they do it, we were 4 am flow until AE14. God help us if they ever move us to 7:30 or 8am flow. We will never get a green score again!

In talking with the Flow TL, it seems our trucks are about the same. Approximately 2,000 pieces each. Our flow is pretty dedicated, we are very lucky to have who we hired for our flow team.
You must have a pretty awesome flow team then. The idea of spending time to move freight from pallets to other vehicles just sounds like a waste of time that could be spent getting that stuff on the shelves.

But then again it sometimes seems like our flow team is good at beating unload goals and that's about it. For GM, that is. FDC is consistently awesome but not really a part of regular flow.

Lol, by clean I mean everything broken down into carts, 3 tiers, tubs & flats. We are not allowed to have pallets, pallet jacks or cardboard cages on the floor after 8am.
That sounds like an insane waste of time! I really hope that isn't standard for most stores. Sure pallets are twice as wide as tubs and flats, but it is so much more efficient to load them 5-6 feet high and pull it out to the salesfloor during the unload. Then depending on the area, either have TMs bowl it out while the truck is being unloaded, or have the whole team swarm around and knock out a pallet at a time.

Our STL used to be really anal about pallets on the floor after a certain time or in areas where the wave hasn't gotten to yet, but she's much more relaxed now and all of the pallets from the line go out to the salesfloor and stay there until they get pushed.

I sometimes only get those 3hr shifts but it is usually only for Cash office, but they don't have me scheduled anyplace else for the rest of the day. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back