Archived Hour cuts, call-ins, and visits, OH MY! // Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's interesting is that, in my state, they're not required to give us a "lunch" break unless we're scheduled for 7.5 hours or more....and then it has to be <5th hour??? So, I guess if you're scheduled for 5-7.49 hours, you're screwed :huh:

We are consistently told that lunch breaks at 6 hours of work are "The Law" in our state. This is the statute and I do not read it as anywhere close to saying that lunch periods are required.

* It is recommended that each employer allow each employee, 18 years of age or over, at least 30 minutes for each meal period reasonably close to the usual meal period time (6:00 a.m., 12:00 noon, 6:00 p.m. or 12:00 midnight) or near the middle of a shift. Shifts of more than 6 consecutive hours without a meal period should be avoided.

Note: The above meal period requirements are mandatory for minors under 18 years of age.

*The employer shall pay all employees for on-duty meal periods, which are to be counted as work time. An on-duty meal period is a meal period where the employer does not provide at least 30 minutes free from work. Any meal period where the employee is not free to leave the premises of the employer will also be considered an on-duty meal period.

I'd be fine with them saying that it is corporate policy, but to tell us it the state's law is wrong, IMO. Am I mistaken?

In the new handbook for "stores Non-exempt".....the "greeting" page has a letter from Naomi Cramer.
Look at pages 24,25, & 26. This tells about breaks and lunches. There are specific states with laws that mandate lunches & breaks. so, while some things are "Target policy" they are policy because it is the law.

In each store there should be a poster that is on one of the red boards that tells about the laws for your state....what the minimum wage is...what break policies are... if your state is an "at-will" work state....whom to contact if laws/rules are broken....these posters are required to be up in my state and I'm guessing that is true for many other states as well.

For specific information (if it is not posted anywhere) talk to you HR, call TMSC, contact the Integrity Hotline, get a new Handbook, or look in Workbench. All of these resources are easy to contact...and there's nothing to worry about when asking for this information from your HR. This information ought to be posted, so if it isn't HR will happily get you the information!

I got a nice little check from Wal-Mart in Massachusetts a few years ago as settlement for the break violations.....never happened to me, I just happened to work there during the time that the lawsuit was settled for. And that was about 15 years ago at that point, I was surprised they actually let me know.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back