Hours for Sales floor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get used to it closer/openers are expected. And not able to spend time with one's family. Retail is hard on everyone. Target doesn't care about your family/social life. All they care about is you working at Target. And if you complain about them, you might see your hours decline. Thats just retail.

Just make sure you your store mandates the 8 hrs between shifts. If it does, you will have to clock out and leave by midnight and not clock back in until 8am the next day.

I used to drive an hour to work at one store. So with my closer/openers (cashier/cart attendnant/Food Ave/salesfloor/service desk), I got less than 6 hours sleep.

That's really unfortunate to hear. I am going to have to work with them on this, I require 8hrs of sleep.

If you "require" 8 hours of sleep, then you should probably find another job. Sorry, but that's retail for ya!

At my store, for years, if you left at midnight then you were not allowed to come back in till 8AM...they said it was a law or something.
Then all of a sudden last year they said "we found out its not a hard and fast rule to have 8 hours between shifts, its just a "guideline"....so now
we sometimes work with only 6-7 hours between shifts. How convenient for Target that they suddenly "discovered" this !

They did give you, 8 hours between your shifts. I have seen 6 hours between shifts, which is not best practice.
I would take the am shift vs Sunday close, any day of the week.

When one of my GSTLs was a GSA, she would close as GSTL one night and come in at 4AM the next day for the softlines adjacency. Every week.

Actually, I spoke to the HR folks, and they told me this was an error. They avoid scheduling people for closing shifts then opening shifts.

I was really nice about it, and said I do not mind working weekends, just not that arrangement. Although it took a while to get someone to talk to, they were very accommodating.

The reason it happened was because I was coming off a training schedule, and they didn't realize it(the computer) had scheduled me like that.

It's really a shame that so many of you do not have HR departments that are not a willing to accommodate requests.

I also want to let you all know that everyone is different and what works for them may not work for anyone else. Personally, I am not a 20-something anymore, and I need my sleep and rest because my health. Some may not need this time to rest. Some can function on 3-6hrs of sleep. I do want to remind everyone that there are health implications of not sleeping.

Each to their own, and I think that being a "whimp" has nothing to do with it.

I dont mind closing and opening. Difference circumstances though. 1- I live 3 minutes away from work and dont even have to drive if I dont want to. 2- Our salesfloor is out by 10:30 at the latest and dont come back in til 8 so it is 9 or so hours between shifts. For pfresh we are done at 8 and dont have to come back til 6.

I will say there are advantages to closing and then opening. For one it clumps your work up so you can get 2 shifts out of the way and then relax. If you are opening on a sunday, the store is completely dead til about 11 or so. Pretty much the first part of your salesfloor shift is spent doing various projects here and there with little backup cashiering or helping guests. Not to mention opening is like 3 times better than closing and you dont have to zone.

Well, I have about an hour commute to/from the store I work at via public transportation. Late hours means buses do not run, and also means that my fiance' has to pick me up at 11:30pm.

Not the best of arrangements, and we are giving it a test run next week. If it's too much for us to handle (see, he's got a 9-5 and he works from 8am to 6pm) and he's got an hour commute as well. Not to mention that he will have to pick me up and lose sleep.

Actually, I spoke to the HR folks, and they told me this was an error. They avoid scheduling people for closing shifts then opening shifts.

I was really nice about it, and said I do not mind working weekends, just not that arrangement. Although it took a while to get someone to talk to, they were very accommodating.

The reason it happened was because I was coming off a training schedule, and they didn't realize it(the computer) had scheduled me like that.

It's really a shame that so many of you do not have HR departments that are not a willing to accommodate requests.

I also want to let you all know that everyone is different and what works for them may not work for anyone else. Personally, I am not a 20-something anymore, and I need my sleep and rest because my health. Some may not need this time to rest. Some can function on 3-6hrs of sleep. I do want to remind everyone that there are health implications of not sleeping.

I am old enough to be your mother, possibly your grandmother. I retired from one job and now I work at Target because I was bored at home. So I'm thinking retail is not for you.

Well, I have about an hour commute to/from the store I work at via public transportation. Late hours means buses do not run, and also means that my fiance' has to pick me up at 11:30pm.

Not the best of arrangements, and we are giving it a test run next week. If it's too much for us to handle (see, he's got a 9-5 and he works from 8am to 6pm) and he's got an hour commute as well. Not to mention that he will have to pick me up and lose sleep.
If he loves you he will drop the car off on his way home and take the bus!

If he loves you he will drop the car off on his way home and take the bus!

This is getting a bit personal. He takes the train to work as it is. I do not drive. I do not have a drivers license. I now do not have time to attain one, or even have time to practice driving due to my schedule.

I am old enough to be your mother, possibly your grandmother. I retired from one job and now I work at Target because I was bored at home. So I'm thinking retail is not for you.

I'm pretty sure you could be, but with all due respect, I really am not sure what you are implying here, but it comes off as rather rude. No matter your age, nor my age, I really think that it's up to the individual person. While I understand that some people are just not cut out for retail, I think they should be at least given a fair chance to succeed in the job they have been awarded and are putting forth effort to learn. Your only as good as you have been trained, and right now, it's rather lacking. I am making a LOT of sacrifices for this job, and so is my family. I'm sure you can understand that.

Part of the problem with putting yourself out on the net is that people will offer advice that isn't always as comforting as it would be in person.
I've been traveling the intertubes for a very long time so I've developed a pretty thick skin about most stuff (still have a few things that rile me up) but I have noticed folks still take things a bit personal.
Try to keep in mind that (at least around here) most of the people aren't trying to be mean and really do want to help even if maybe it doesn't come across that way.

I was joking, but I didn't realize that you didn't drive so ... sorry.

I do not drive. I do not have a drivers license. I now do not have time to attain one, or even have time to practice driving due to my schedule.

Que?

Since you seemed to be surprised that you were being scheduled closing shifts, that tells me you have a fairly open availability. What's stopping you from using the mornings to take Driver's Ed?

I'm pretty sure you could be, but with all due respect, I really am not sure what you are implying here, but it comes off as rather rude. No matter your age, nor my age, I really think that it's up to the individual person. While I understand that some people are just not cut out for retail, I think they should be at least given a fair chance to succeed in the job they have been awarded and are putting forth effort to learn. Your only as good as you have been trained, and right now, it's rather lacking. I am making a LOT of sacrifices for this job, and so is my family. I'm sure you can understand that.

You're the one who brought up age when you said you weren't a 20-something. I pointed out that many of us aren't 20 something but we realized what we were signing up for when we accepted the jobs.

You are being given a fair chance to succeed in this job, but you only want the job if it meets your criteria. Unfortunately very few retail jobs offer hours that you seemingly require. Thus, I continue to believe that retail is not for you. It's not gonna get better, it's gonna get worse during Q4.

You're the one who brought up age when you said you weren't a 20-something. I pointed out that many of us aren't 20 something but we realized what we were signing up for when we accepted the jobs.

You are being given a fair chance to succeed in this job, but you only want the job if it meets your criteria. Unfortunately very few retail jobs offer hours that you seemingly require. Thus, I continue to believe that retail is not for you. It's not gonna get better, it's gonna get worse during Q4.

I'm working in retail and I can so relate to jedijenchan (hope I got that right). Right now I'm 62 yrs old. I've been with Target for 7 yrs. For the past 6 mos or so they have been giving me closing (mostly market) shifts. Even without opening the next day it's rough. And the older you get the harder it is to find anything other than retail. I'd love to get out and do something else but so far nothing. I had a clopening this past Sun/Mon. I got hardly any sleep Sunday night (we close at 10 on Sundays. Closing team gets out usually around 11). I had to get up at 6am. Very short night.

I don't drive for medical reasons, need eight hours of sleep for the same reason, and prefer not to work Saturday for religous reasons.
I also live in a state where there are five hundred people lined up ahead of you for every good job and a hundred for the retail jobs.
So yea, I'll take what I can get but Spot screwed me.
I can understand where your coming from, finding a job that fits can be a real challenge.

I don't drive for medical reasons, need eight hours of sleep for the same reason, and prefer not to work Saturday for religous reasons.
I also live in a state where there are five hundred people lined up ahead of you for every good job and a hundred for the retail jobs.
I can understand where your coming from, finding a job that fits can be a real challenge.

I feel empathy for your situation(s), but I don't see how any of that is Target's fault. Target didn't screw you.

I feel empathy for your situation(s), but I don't see how any of that is Target's fault. Target didn't screw you.

Long story but the gist of it is they performanced me out because they got tired of dealing with the ADA accomidations that came with my epilepsy.
EEOC complaint in progress.

I do not drive. I do not have a drivers license. I now do not have time to attain one, or even have time to practice driving due to my schedule.

Que?

Since you seemed to be surprised that you were being scheduled closing shifts, that tells me you have a fairly open availability. What's stopping you from using the mornings to take Driver's Ed?

I did put my availability when I applied to be from 7am to 10pm on days/nights. They seemed to have ignored that, and despite me explaining to them my transportation issues, past 10pm, they never disclosed to me that this was going to be a night shift job.

You, know, I need sleep. I have no one to practice with me during the day. I cannot pay for any more driving lessons. If you must know all my personal details, I had many months of ADULT driving instruction a few months back, but never went to get my license BECAUSE I had medical issues where I was on a medication where I was not allowed to drive. IT was simply not safe for me to operate a vehicle.

I have elderly parents to care for during the day, and a myriad of other responsibilities that I'd rather not go into.

Here is my problem with your statement. First, I'm not implying that age is a factor in general, but it can be for many people.

Second, I really didn't understand what I was signing up for with this job. They did not tell me upfront it was a nights only position, working until 11:30 or 12am. Their presentation of this job, the company culture at orientation was completely opposite of what I encountered in my "training". I have known many people that worked in retail/grocery (mind you they were all union shops) and they had a good experience, but it wasn't horrible, like what I am experiencing. I spoke to my mother, who worked at a number of retails stores, and she NEVER said training or anything was this bad. Hell, my father was a janitor and he never said it was this bad. My father is also 64, and he is still working in a factory. I come from a family with very strong work ethic, and I worked my ass off for years on a shipping dock enduring harassment and sexual harassment almost daily, and being treated like crap because of my gender. I worked there for 13 years, and I was laid off because the company could not afford to pay me.

Maybe your more experienced and know what to expect out of retail - I am not. This is my first retail job since working in a movie theater over 20 years ago. A different beast, but you still had to deal with customers (guests) and a management structure. Have you read what haphazard training I have been going through? Maybe it's accepted as commonplace for you, but I do not feel that I am being given a fair chance to learn my job properly.

I did put my availability when I applied to be from 7am to 10pm on days/nights. They seemed to have ignored that, and despite me explaining to them my transportation issues, past 10pm, they never disclosed to me that this was going to be a night shift job.

During one of your interviews, they should have had you sign on your availability as a confirmation to whatever you entered when you applied. If they are scheduling outside of that availability, then you need to take that up with HR.

I have no one to practice with me during the day. I cannot pay for any more driving lessons. If you must know all my personal details, I had many months of ADULT driving instruction a few months back, but never went to get my license BECAUSE I had medical issues where I was on a medication where I was not allowed to drive. IT was simply not safe for me to operate a vehicle.

I have elderly parents to care for during the day, and a myriad of other responsibilities that I'd rather not go into.

So at a worst case scenario, depending on your state's laws, you might have to redo all Driver's Ed (both classroom and behind the wheel) before you can get your license. I know I'm going to sound like an asshole with the following question but:
How is it that the myriad of other responsibilities allow you to be able to work but keep you from sitting in a classroom for a couple of hours a day?

I don't need to know the details but it sounds like either:
a) You really don't want to get a license. If so, fine. I don't hold that against you. My best friend is 30 years old and has NEVER driven and has no real interest in doing so. He would rather take the train halfway across Dallas to get to and from work and rely on his wife for everything else. However, that means your transportation problem will continue until you decide to do something about it.
b) You expect to be able to take off on a whim whenever one of those myriad of other responsibilities pop up. If so, you are going to find out very quickly that Target (and retail in general) does not care for that if it happens frequently. They will hold it against you.

As someone who takes care of a couple of people (my parents) who are very old, explaining these challenges is hard. People in general who never deal with these situations usually like to present scenarios as if this was making breakfast in a kids' easy bake oven. This is why at work, in general, I try not to talk about my situation because people seem to draw a blank as to why I don't stick my folks in a home, leave them to their own devices or get someone else to do it. I also don't talk about it because my co-workers have a bad habit of using my personal life against me.

why am i not surprised? your always the one that has to be flexible to take it up the ass and not target lol

It used to be that if you did not have 8 hours between your scheduled shifts you were paid time and a half for the 2nd shift. I only had that happen once. Heard of others being sent home, so they would not have to be paid time and a half.

At my store, for years, if you left at midnight then you were not allowed to come back in till 8AM...they said it was a law or something.
Then all of a sudden last year they said "we found out its not a hard and fast rule to have 8 hours between shifts, its just a "guideline"....so now
we sometimes work with only 6-7 hours between shifts. How convenient for Target that they suddenly "discovered" this !

They did give you, 8 hours between your shifts. I have seen 6 hours between shifts, which is not best practice.
I would take the am shift vs Sunday close, any day of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back