Archived Hours shrinking in general?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct me if im wrong but it feels like hours are at an ALL TIME low. I dont remember hours being this low for every workcenter at this time last year but maybe I just forgot, is this the case? I know my Plano TL said they had 40 hours TOTAL for the week so basically everyone on Plano had to get hours from another workcenter. Salesfloor also seems to be quite slim recently. I wish we just had the manpower to get the job done instead of running around frantically going crazy trying to get everything done. Although this seems to be a way larger problem with the nightside of the store. Id love to have some dayside only people experience the terror that is closing before they ***** about it at morning huddle. The dayside of the store seems to always have a bunch of TMs, TLs, and ETLs working to get stuff done. I would much prefer to work dayside and mornings, I hate closing =(.

Last edited:
I was doing pretty good (20ish a week) until next week, i got a whole 10! But i go back to school next week so i'm okay with it. I hope it doesn't stay that low for long though!

Still 35-40 a week here...

But yeah hour allocation has definitely shrunk a lot, we're only getting ~100 hours a day for cashiers compared to the 150+ we were getting a month ago.

Two things; payroll allocation tends to shrink in first quarter -- nothing new. Secondly, the last few years, hours have been slashed nearly to bone with elimination of specialty positions. Why? Because the CEO of Target doesnt understand how to turn a profit. Last fiscal year, the majority of their profit came from payroll savings.

They're also heavily expanding into Canada. The easiest way to cover up a loss is by gutting payroll.

My advice? Get to a TL position, use tuition benefits to pay towards school and get a degree -- then get out.

Two things; payroll allocation tends to shrink in first quarter -- nothing new. Secondly, the last few years, hours have been slashed nearly to bone with elimination of specialty positions. Why? Because the CEO of Target doesnt understand how to turn a profit. Last fiscal year, the majority of their profit came from payroll savings.

They're also heavily expanding into Canada. The easiest way to cover up a loss is by gutting payroll.

My advice? Get to a TL position, use tuition benefits to pay towards school and get a degree -- then get out.

This is true. Unless Target has a big shake up at the top it will continue its downwand spiral. It can not compete on price and make a profit and it no longer can compete on service because it has no payroll because they slashed it to cover up its other failings. The Neiman Marcus is a good sign that the people up top are clueless at this point on how to generate profit beyond just cutting hours. Get what you can and get out.

Hours are probably going to be slim till Easter time.

I feel really bad for those having this issue. The week my hours sank was a gut check. I hope that was just a random blip!

This is true. Unless Target has a big shake up at the top it will continue its downwand spiral. It can not compete on price and make a profit and it no longer can compete on service because it has no payroll because they slashed it to cover up its other failings. The Neiman Marcus is a good sign that the people up top are clueless at this point on how to generate profit beyond just cutting hours. Get what you can and get out.

Pretty much. Spot helps pay for school. I work for Spot for a ****ty wage, no health insurance benefits (HSAs are not insurance!), so I'll utilize that tuition reimbursement!

It's a shame Spots CEO is such a clueless tool. They should try to emulate Costco, not China-Mart.

Hours are probably going to be slim till Easter time.

Yes, usually until about April. I wish the CEO would do an "Undercover Boss" at our store. It would be such a shock to him! I have to work 6 days in a row now just to get 37 hours (it sucks).

Pretty much. Spot helps pay for school. I work for Spot for a ****ty wage, no health insurance benefits (HSAs are not insurance!), so I'll utilize that tuition reimbursement!

It's a shame Spots CEO is such a clueless tool. They should try to emulate Costco, not China-Mart.

speaking of china-mart, did you guys see where they pledged to hire like 100000 veterans over the next five years? and bringing in made in the usa products to replace the china stuff? seems like someone finally figured out how to get good press.

I don't think the hours have been cut in my work center, we still have the same no coverage we've had for the last year and a half.

speaking of china-mart, did you guys see where they pledged to hire like 100000 veterans over the next five years? and bringing in made in the usa products to replace the china stuff? seems like someone finally figured out how to get good press.

I'll believe it when it happens.

Correct me if im wrong but it feels like hours are at an ALL TIME low. I dont remember hours being this low for every workcenter at this time last year but maybe I just forgot, is this the case? I know my Plano TL said they had 40 hours TOTAL for the week so basically everyone on Plano had to get hours from another workcenter. Salesfloor also seems to be quite slim recently. I wish we just had the manpower to get the job done instead of running around frantically going crazy trying to get everything done. Although this seems to be a way larger problem with the nightside of the store. Id love to have some dayside only people experience the terror that is closing before they ***** about it at morning huddle. The dayside of the store seems to always have a bunch of TMs, TLs, and ETLs working to get stuff done. I would much prefer to work dayside and mornings, I hate closing =(.

Payroll is always going to be based off of your projected sales. It's a set percentage. You have to meet a total number of sales for every hour of payroll used. So to answer your question, yes hours are going to shrink. If closing is a terror, it's because your closing schedule sucks.
It will always seem like more is getting done in the morning because all that is being focused on is projects. Most of the people who work dayside have already done the closing bit, so give them the benefit of the doubt when they ***** about the closers.

I've only been getting 9-17 hours per week so far... post Christmas until the week of the 27th. I started in August with 10-25 hours each week, but if I had a week with few hours, the next week was enough to compensate. Now, my hours are pretty sparse. They started giving me fitting room hours, so maybe that will help.

I started looking for another job though.

Yup, our Plano team has 50 hours for the next 2 weeks. I had just switched to Plano the week after Christmas from flow and had 3 weeks of 40 hours. Now I am back on flow the next two weeks. My schedule says 4am to 7am five days. We are never even close to being done by 7am, so I will end up with closer to 30 hours depending if I stay to backstock or help with pulls after we are done.

At my store apparently they went over their hours by 700 (not sure if it was my shift in general or the whole store). That and they put too many new stores new us. Said essentially hours won't pick up till summer.

they are asking folks to take even less days at this point.

Hours are up big this week for us. Extended several shifts today actually per LOD instructions.

Our PA hours took a hit, but it's not as bad as some people's...35.5 hours instead of 40. I can deal, especially since I tend to pick up close to an hour in incremental time every week anyway and that's not counting instances where I get permission to stay later. I think I can manage, especially when so many TM's are getting far, far less. It's by far the most hours I've ever gotten anywhere at this time of year at Spot before, so I'll take it and be grateful.

Our PA hours took a hit, but it's not as bad as some people's...35.5 hours instead of 40. I can deal, especially since I tend to pick up close to an hour in incremental time every week anyway and that's not counting instances where I get permission to stay later. I think I can manage, especially when so many TM's are getting far, far less. It's by far the most hours I've ever gotten anywhere at this time of year at Spot before, so I'll take it and be grateful.

Same. I'm scheduled for about 34.5 - 37.5 hours officially. Yet I still consistently find myself having to clock out early at end of week or taking a longer lunch to avoid OT.

I feel so bad for flow/sales floor -- it's like 12-14 hours a week for some flow folks. I'm amazed when someone actually sticks around for more than 3 months. I've seen so many people come and go since Greg's business strategy sucks donkey balls. Ain't no one going to come in for work if it's only for 3 hours and you arent making enough to pay bills. Duh.

WHAT, you still get 35 hours for pfresh, I wish I was that lucky. As a PA WITH C+S shifts mixed in with my other shifts I have 29 and 27.5 hours! We are only allocated 90 hours a week for pfresh with 2 PAs and a CTL. It sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back