Archived How bad is it to call out for a day you were denied a time off request?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I requested to leave by 11 or 12 (I can't recall which) on 12/22. It was denied and I am scheduled later than I have been scheduled for the past-I have been scheduled 7-3:30 for the past several months, but on the 22 I am scheduled til 8-4:30. Normally an hour isn't a huge deal, but the reason I requested to leave early is because my dad's family is celebrating Christmas that day and they eat at 5 and it is an hour and 15 minutes away from my store.

I only work on weekends (due to a full time job during the week) and my TL doesn't like it that I request time off occasionally. (When I was hired the STL, who doesn't work there anymore gave me the impression that it wasn't a problem) I don't know if he deliberately scheduled me later to be a jerk or what, but I am more annoyed about it than I should be. I know I should just suck it up and be responsible and go to work, but I am considering calling out, which I've never done and hate doing because it only screws the people who work in my department.

So is it looked at more negatively if you call out on a day you were denied time off than just a regular call out?

I requested to leave by 11 or 12 (I can't recall which) on 12/22. It was denied and I am scheduled later than I have been scheduled for the past-I have been scheduled 7-3:30 for the past several months, but on the 22 I am scheduled til 8-4:30. Normally an hour isn't a huge deal, but the reason I requested to leave early is because my dad's family is celebrating Christmas that day and they eat at 5 and it is an hour and 15 minutes away from my store.

I only work on weekends (due to a full time job during the week) and my TL doesn't like it that I request time off occasionally. (When I was hired the STL, who doesn't work there anymore gave me the impression that it wasn't a problem) I don't know if he deliberately scheduled me later to be a jerk or what, but I am more annoyed about it than I should be. I know I should just suck it up and be responsible and go to work, but I am considering calling out, which I've never done and hate doing because it only screws the people who work in my department.

So is it looked at more negatively if you call out on a day you were denied time off than just a regular call out?

Ask to leave at 3:30 that won't look as bad as calling out. Trust me they will remember you calling out on Christmas eve even if you requested it off.

I think your family should be understanding enough that you have to work and would wait to eat until you get there. You can always ask your dad if they can wait for you to get there. Most parents are understanding that you have to work.

Thanks for the reply. I figured it wouldn't be good to call out (not Christmas eve though). Unfortunately dinner time in non-negotiable due to a bunch of factors.

I am going to try that tomorrow when I go in, but I don't have high expectations that will go in my favor, as he has told me in the past he doesn't like me taking time off since I only work Saturdays and Sundays. I am also going to try putting the shift on the job swap board, but I fear that most people are already maxed out on hours and our store doesn't allow OT. I am hoping that perhaps some college kids will be doing finals that week and coming back later in the week and want extra money. If not, I'll just suck it up and work. I have already texted my family to tell them I most likely won't be there. Just kind of sucks.

I absolutely hate having to skip family tradition for a starting wage job that I worked at since highschool. I look at it this way, just try to get off early. You don't have to be there right at 5pm, unless they will be cooking prior. You don't have to 100% skip out on Christmas for the opportunity to make $90 for eight hours of your day.

I requested the weekend before Christmas off and got denied because my department is so under-staffed and I "have" to be there. The only difference for me is Christmas is a four hour drive away, so unless I can get two days off I can't really come. If I somehow managed to get that Saturday off, I would be heading out on a road trip at 7am to arrive by 11am, dinner at 12:30ish, leave around 5:30pm, be back by 10pm, go to bed for work at 7am. More than likely, I would be forced to close on the Friday prior. I also just tore my calf and I'm probably gonna be out of work for a few days now, so I'm more than likely getting fully scheduled that weekend because Target loves to guilt and punish for not being able to work.

Target says they're so flexible with your life and scheduling they almost always put the full timers on the back burners, not that it applies to you since you only work weekends. I wouldn't worry about it, just leave early, my TL lets our weekend help leave early all of the time for no reason lol.

Swap board. And talk to your teammates, see if anyone would like to pick up hours. Particularly anyone who's scheduled in the morning and getting off after 2:00 or scheduled to start at 5 or 6.

In my experience TLs don't get bent out of shape about you needing a day off occasionally if you've shown them you're trying to do everything in your power to make sure the workload still gets done...

I would definitely go in earlier, if that is an option. The only other day I work is Sunday, so I am not sure how helpful it would be to stay late 6 days prior.

That close to Christmas is really pushing it, no matter how long you've been working at Target, your availability, or your attendance record. It's one of the busiest times of the year and everyone wants time off to go visit family for the holidays. So I get why you weren't given the day off. Your best option at this point would be to talk to your schedule writer and see if you can come in earlier instead. If that's denied then try to switch shifts with someone or get someone to cover you. Worst comes to worst you'll just have to call off and take the hit on your attendance.

I absolutely hate having to skip family tradition for a starting wage job that I worked at since highschool. I look at it this way, just try to get off early. You don't have to be there right at 5pm, unless they will be cooking prior. You don't have to 100% skip out on Christmas for the opportunity to make $90 for eight hours of your day.

I requested the weekend before Christmas off and got denied because my department is so under-staffed and I "have" to be there. The only difference for me is Christmas is a four hour drive away, so unless I can get two days off I can't really come. If I somehow managed to get that Saturday off, I would be heading out on a road trip at 7am to arrive by 11am, dinner at 12:30ish, leave around 5:30pm, be back by 10pm, go to bed for work at 7am. More than likely, I would be forced to close on the Friday prior. I also just tore my calf and I'm probably gonna be out of work for a few days now, so I'm more than likely getting fully scheduled that weekend because Target loves to guilt and punish for not being able to work.

Target says they're so flexible with your life and scheduling they almost always put the full timers on the back burners, not that it applies to you since you only work weekends. I wouldn't worry about it, just leave early, my TL lets our weekend help leave early all of the time for no reason lol.
Thats a lame attitude man. For some people this starting wage job pays their bills, its keeps them above water. It feeds their children.
For you guys to look at Target like a lousy place of employment is just shameful.

Thanks for all the input. I am not seasonal, just PT and I just can’t bring myself to call out. I plan to to put 4 hours of the shift up on the swap board (if that’s even allowed to put a partial shift up) and hope someone takes it. I talked to my family and explained the situation.

Thanks again everyone.

They don't lock you in. Tell them you will need to be leaving by 3, and leave. (After trying to get the last part covered, of course).

I would have a really hard time doing that. Even though I’m not thrilled about the fact that I didn’t get the request approved, I understand that it’s a busy time of year and it was just a request. It sucks, but I don’t want to make things hard for myself later on. I’d like to keep this job for a while.

So apparently you can’t put up half a shift on the swap board, so I had to put the whole 8.5 hours up, which will be harder to get. We shall see what comes of it.

Look and see who is closing. Ask that person to come in a couple hours early.

Look and see who is closing. Ask that person to come in a couple hours early.

That is a great idea. I didn’t even think of that. I just posted the whole shift and looked to see who wasn’t working and didn’t already have 40 hours (or close to it) already.

So I found someone who is only scheduled until 2:30 that day and is willing to stay til 4:30 so I can leave at 2:30. She only has approximately 23 hours for the week. Is there any reason that might be denied? We just talked about it yesterday, haven't actually spoken with anyone who does the schedule. I plan to do that next weekend (if she hasn't done it during the week).

Honestly don't listen to anyone here that posted yet. Call out. No one will care and nothing will happen. For 5 years I missed Thanksgiving dinner because I had to worth a shitty hourly job that will just replace you the next day if you quit.

You're not under your 90 days and it's not your main source of income so suck it up and call out. You open so it's not like they'll be screwed for the night.

Trust, many lifers here will try to tell you target is super important and that you should never call out for personal reasons because it's your job but the reality is that even adults have other shit going on and people need time for themselves

Obviously, getting someone to cover your would be ideal but don't worry to much about it, your team lead or etl/stl would not cover your shift for you so dont stress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back