Archived How can I guarantee a position?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saecklid

It'll buff out...
This is my first job. Recently graduated from high school and just finished my first semester of college (majoring in business). I was hired on as seasonal and work sales floor (mostly hardlines). Last week while I was closing, the team lead of the night asked me if I would be interested in moving up at target and told me that soon many people will be moved up and of course the positions they are leaving will need to be filled. Long story short, she asked me if I would like to fill her position when she moves up. I don't know if this was just a test to see if I am a loyal team member or if she was serious. Not to try and sound full of myself, I feel like I am doing my job just as good as someone who has been there for years, and honestly, I do my work ten times harder (if not more) than any of the other seasonal a hired on. Also, some of them are so damn slow that I'm asked to do my job and pick up their slack (which I do and complete before the end of my shift). Anyway, sorry to ramble on, but I'm just curious if becoming team lead in such short notice and considering this is my first job is even a possibility, and if it is how can I guarantee the position?

This is my first job. Recently graduated from high school and just finished my first semester of college (majoring in business). I was hired on as seasonal and work sales floor (mostly hardlines). Last week while I was closing, the team lead of the night asked me if I would be interested in moving up at target and told me that soon many people will be moved up and of course the positions they are leaving will need to be filled. Long story short, she asked me if I would like to fill her position when she moves up. I don't know if this was just a test to see if I am a loyal team member or if she was serious. Not to try and sound full of myself, I feel like I am doing my job just as good as someone who has been there for years, and honestly, I do my work ten times harder (if not more) than any of the other seasonal a hired on. Also, some of them are so damn slow that I'm asked to do my job and pick up their slack (which I do and complete before the end of my shift). Anyway, sorry to ramble on, but I'm just curious if becoming team lead in such short notice and considering this is my first job is even a possibility, and if it is how can I guarantee the position?

It's not out of the question. I went through TL interviews recently with some Target peers, and one of them has only been there for about a month (he did pass.) if they see leadership potential in you they won't wait around :)

Once you pass the interviews you're "on the TL bench" which basically just means your ETL/STL has yet to place you in a specific role. And he/she will put you in one they think you'd be successful at! Odds are they already have an idea of where they want you, too. But you also shouldn't be afraid to voice your opinion on your development

Last edited:

Sure, go ahead and do it.

Just be aware TL requires 40 hours a week with no set schedule. In other words, you won't be able to attend classes anymore and will be a college dropout so that you can make a career in low level retail management for around $11-14/hour.... with hope of possibly hitting $15-18 range after many years.

I've seen lots and lots of TMs ditch college to "promote" at Target over the years. Usually doesn't end well.....

I have to disagree with you. While a large percentage of college students who become TL end up not finishing their degree, I've known several TLs and extended interns that work 35-40 hours each week and finish their degrees. Most store leadership is now looking for tms that can promote through the ranks, so that means they want TLs with degrees and TLs seeking them. Many stores are willing to work with their TLs, within reason of course, to find a schedule that fits school and work. They may not finish in four years, but they should still be able to finish in not too much longer than that if they make use of summers and intersessions.

We had two Sr. TL's who were in school at one point. One graduated and the other left for a new job. I get 32-35 hour weeks as well and am in school. It's extremely difficult, but it can be done. But yeah, just ditching school all together for "better opportunities" at Target is baaaaad.

Last edited:
The problem is that while on occasion these things tend to work out most of the time you are just being lead by the nose to eternal disappointment. Sadly you can trust nothing they tell you and they will randomly change everything on you breaking every promise they have made you. Its not malicious, mostly it is just incompetence. If you want to keep it as one of many doors to open then great but, do not put any faith in or make sacrifices for them because you will just end up angry. If it happens great, just do not count on it.

The problem is that while on occasion these things tend to work out most of the time you are just being lead by the nose to eternal disappointment. Sadly you can trust nothing they tell you and they will randomly change everything on you breaking every promise they have made you. Its not malicious, mostly it is just incompetence. If you want to keep it as one of many doors to open then great but, do not put any faith in or make sacrifices for them because you will just end up angry. If it happens great, just do not count on it.

Or it will take much, much longer than you should realize.
There may be one or two people ahead of you, someone who they thought was leaving might change their mind, or corporate could do some kind of massive rejiggering that no one expected.

Last edited:

Or it will take much, much longer than you you should realize.
There may be one or two people ahead of you, someone who they thought was leaving might change their mind, or corporate could do some kind of massive rejiggering that no one expected.

Its the dangling carrot philosophy. Target has really perfected the art of it.

Basically, if it's something you really want to do and are interested in, be relentless and persistent about it. Don't let them put you on the backburner, or especially take advantage of your work ethic, because they will. We're not trying to be Negative Nancys when we say this, we've just all seen it happen to too many good people before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back