Archived how come hours still suck with so many open positions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
we literally have 10-12 logistics/BR spots open, people they hire are 100% worthless and quit within a week, the handful that are good only get 15hours a week and dont even bother staying. Why not just half the people they need and give more hours?

here's what I have seen lately.

Target is trying to fill the building with tm willing to work a couple of shifts a week, with no benefits.

Target wants to be able to call them in on a whim to cover call ins or business spikes/schedule screw-ups.

Then all these tm will be able to work like dogs to get the freight unloaded, the store zoned at night, the guests through the checklanes.

During the holidays, suddenly these tm will work more hours / and then see their hours drop when seasonal tm are hired.

I don't know who these people are - the pool we are pulling from doesn't have these people in it.
Other than some high school students, retirees, or maybe some college students - ???????

^This. Spot aims to make sure that no new hires qualify for benefits by keeping everyone part-time. Couple that with the elimination of HMOs/PPOs next yr & spot will save a bundle.
Of course, spot also gets what he pays for in new hires that lie about their availability just to get hired then change it as soon as their 90 is up.

it's disappointing to see so many new team members quit when they find out they have to work super hard those few hours too.

I do think part of the combination is that applicants these days think they will just have to hang around and then pick up the paycheck.

it's disappointing to see so many new team members quit when they find out they have to work super hard those few hours too.

I do think part of the combination is that applicants these days think they will just have to hang around and then pick up the paycheck.

that's our entire problem, the last 6-8 people they hired did absolutely no work at all, most of them either stood around talking or just wandered off. The 3 they had unloading the trailer worked slow as they could and just talked about how drunk they got the night before....id like to sit in on some of these interviews, i really think the only requirement is the ability to wear a name tag

When you're trying to hire people without a willingness to offer them anything of value beyond basic wages should you be surprised when a good percentage really aren't all that interested in killing themselves to get the work done?
If Spot wanted the best, they would pay a living wage, give working hours, offer decent insurance and have more opportunities for advancement from within.

that's our entire problem, the last 6-8 people they hired did absolutely no work at all, most of them either stood around talking or just wandered off. The 3 they had unloading the trailer worked slow as they could and just talked about how drunk they got the night before....id like to sit in on some of these interviews, i really think the only requirement is the ability to wear a name tag

You would be surprised how many liars slip through the cracks. When I interviewed people as a TL, people told me so many damn lies that any idiot would know were complete BS. However, there were tons of people that were great at lying and we didn't figure that out until it was too late.

Sometimes people lied for no damn reason!

For example, I remember one interview in which (somehow) Southpark came up. (yes, the comedy TV show) Anyway, she told me that she had "watched the new episode last night" and that the characters had "visited a Target store" on the show.

Little did she know I am a huge Southpark fan, have seen every single episode, and had seen the new episode the night before. Target was never even so much as mentioned. (nor has it ever been mentioned in ANY southpark episode even to this day)

I really didn't care.... I mean it is a lie about a TV show. But it still made me wonder WTF? Why lie about something like that?

Anyway, it made me wonder what else she was lying about so we didn't hire her.

there are over a dozen openings throughout our store and really has been for most of this year. We get a new batch every few weeks and out of those maybe 1 sticks it out. I was talking to a new person and said of the people you've met there are the old timers (about 5 of us) who have been here more than a year. 2 that are just at a year and the rest of you (right now 5 or so) were hired in the last 6 months. This was in SL...now we've had myself (an old timer) and 3 yearlings move to another part of the store(2 to TL positions...and I am on track for a TL) BUT we have so few that stick around because of the bouts of bad hours or bad work ethic. I really wish they would ask the people who have to actually work with these people how they are working out BEFORE their probation is done. I was so fed up with a couple of the "workers" that I actually did tell the management about my concerns. Of course, only one was termed because that is the desperation.

You know it's bad when they're offering me backroom/flow hours... which they are.

:wacko:

here's what I have seen lately.

Target is trying to fill the building with tm willing to work a couple of shifts a week, with no benefits.

Target wants to be able to call them in on a whim to cover call ins or business spikes/schedule screw-ups.

Then all these tm will be able to work like dogs to get the freight unloaded, the store zoned at night, the guests through the checklanes.

During the holidays, suddenly these tm will work more hours / and then see their hours drop when seasonal tm are hired.

I don't know who these people are - the pool we are pulling from doesn't have these people in it.
Other than some high school students, retirees, or maybe some college students - ???????

I always wondered if they were getting people on loan from the state - giving back to the community through work-release.
They are doing this to the cashiers most of all at many stores I have seen...hire new people put them on the register and pay less while giving the regulars 16-20 hours or some cases less.

Last edited:
I always wondered if they were getting people on loan from the state - giving back to the community through work-release.
They are doing this to the cashiers most of all at many stores I have seen...hire new people put them on the register and pay less while giving the regulars 16-20 hours or some cases less.

They are not getting a "loan" from the state, but they are getting tax credits from the states & fed government.

I just applied for a job at Target. The online site literally asks about 10 questions that go along the lines of this - "Has your family been on food stamps in the last year?" "Has your family been on temp assistance?" "Do you qualify for welfare to work?" "Have you been released from a correctional facility in the last year?"

Anytime Target hires anyone who answers "yes" to any of those questions means they get a tax credit to hire you. In other words, the government actually pays them to hire you in the form of a tax credit. Basically, you are almost free labor to Target. The government wants people off of welfare and ex-cons to have a job so they don't commit more crimes.

My old store was located in a high crime/high poverty area. Literally about 50% of the TMs either came from extreme poverty or had a criminal record. Hell, one of my old electronics TMs had robbed a pizza store at gun point. My store was making bank for the company of off all the tax credits they were getting.

Here is an example from California just to give you an idea why certain people get hired:

"An employer may qualify for a tax credit of up to $9,000 if the employee is a member of a designated target group and meets that group’s specific requirements.

Target Groups that Qualify for the WOTC — Individuals hired from the following nine target groups may qualify an employer for the WOTC:

Qualified recipients of Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF).
Qualified veterans receiving Food Stamps or qualified veterans with a service connected disability who:
Have a hiring date which is not more than one year after having been discharged or released from active duty OR
Have aggregate periods of unemployment during the one year period ending on the hiring date that equal or exceed six months.
Ex-felons hired no later than one year after conviction or release from prison.
Designated Community Resident – an individual who has attained ages 18 but not 40 on the hiring date who reside in an Empowerment Zone, Renewal Community, or Rural Renewal County.
Vocational rehabilitation referrals, including Ticket Holders with an individual work plan developed and implemented by an Employment Network.
Qualified summer youth ages 16 through 17 who reside in an Empowerment Zone, Enterprise Community, or Renewal Community.
Qualified Food Stamp recipients ages 18 but not 40 on the hiring date.
Qualified recipients of Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
Long-term family assistance recipients."

http://www.edd.ca.gov/Jobs_and_Training/WOTC_Basic_Facts.htm

So if Target hires an ex-con one year out of jail, they instantly get $9000 cash. And that is just the tax break they get from a state. The feds give them even more on top of that. In other words, Target can actually make money by hiring people.

Last edited:
I want you to read all this before you go on another tanget.
I have to give you mondo kudos for turning "on" to "a"loan and missing the point as a result of your lack of refined analytical reading skills. You quoted me and still misinterpreted the meaning. Do no misrepresent me or put words in my mouth. I have volunteered and worked with at risk youth and adults for years outside of Target to complete and attain their GEDs and open the way for either a college degree or get them into an apprenticeship for a particular trade especially in my other field as an Electrician. I am also from a store in a rather bad neighborhood. I do this while raising my two children because it isn't for any glory, just to do what is right. For my efforts I have been stabbed, beaten, and one time urinated on because the area is so bad and sometimes do this at night.
I worked corrections for many years before I became an electrician and worked at Target, some of the kids they bring in regardless of background have the same appearance as many of those I used to lock up. The comment is facetious in nature, and I am sorry you do not read things through before flying off the handle.

When you're trying to hire people without a willingness to offer them anything of value beyond basic wages should you be surprised when a good percentage really aren't all that interested in killing themselves to get the work done?
If Spot wanted the best, they would pay a living wage, give working hours, offer decent insurance and have more opportunities for advancement from within.

This X's 1000

Good workers really have no incentive to stay, Our Flow/BR TLs rely on 3-4 people for absolutely everything, myself included and it wears on you, especially when you get that check and its like wow Im exhausted and for this?

I definitely get leaned on a lot and what Target gives you back is simply not sustainable if you have bills, I've been looking for work at my trade since I started there and I really see very little reason to think twice about staying once I find something.

The bad ones coast by and leave and the good ones get fed up and leave also.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's just something that almost every job deals with. Some people just know how to skate by with the bare minimum.

Yeah, that's just something that almost every job deals with. Some people just know how to skate by with the bare minimum.

I dont know why i thought of this and i couldnt find a clip of it but it reminded me of office space and flair
Stan: We need to talk about your flair.
Joanna: Really? I...I have fifteen pieces on. I, uh...
[she shows him her flair buttons]
Stan: Well, okay. Fifteen is the minimum, okay?
Joanna: Okay.
Stan: Now, you know it's up to you whether or not you want to just do the bare minimum. Or uh...well, like Brian, for example, has thirty seven pieces of flair, okay. And a terrific smile.
Joanna: Okay. So you...you want me to wear more?
Stan: Look. Joanna.
Joanna: Yeah.
Stan: People can get a cheeseburger anywhere, okay? They come to Chotchkie's for the atmosphere and the attitude. Okay? That's what the flair's about. It's about fun.
Joanna: Yeah. Okay. So more then, yeah?
Stan: Look, we want you to express yourself, okay? Now if you feel that the bare minimum is enough, then okay. But some people choose to wear more and we encourage that, okay? You do want to express yourself, don't you?
Joanna: Yeah. Yeah.
Stan: Okay. Great. Great. That's all I ask.
Joanna: Okay.
[she walks away]

Now replace flairs with Vibe cards and replace this glass of water I have with moonshine to help numb the pain. Where was I going with this...?

WTF? This is exclusive to retail and food service jobs.

Virtually every other industry actually has *mandatory overtime*. Go talk to a utility worker, for example. They are begging for less hours because they are required to work 60-70 hour weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back