How do I keep my Birthday private from the team?

So at my particular Target store, we have a calendar with a list of birthdays for the month for all to see. I absolutely hate my birthday for many personal reasons, I don't think birthdays are worthy of celebration. Whatever the case, I don't want my team to know my birthday. It comes up in May but is there a way I can let the company or HR know that I straight up DO NOT WANT MY BIRTHDAY TO BE SHARED on this breakroom calendar? Is this something that if I tell HR that they can document this and keep my birthday off the calendar for the rest of time? Or do I have to remind them every year to keep it off?

I feel Target sharing my birthday on this so-called calendar is a violation of my privacy. I don't want that information on there. What can I do to make sure my birthday is not shared with the team?

Stop overthinking this lmao. Just ask them politely to keep your name off

I can assure you that if they continue putting 50 cans of awful smelling beef stew in the break room with bulk goldfish and mystery popcorn from god knows where as a thank you, you don’t need to worry about a birthday party🙄

Edit: Dear HR, keep the Nutrigrain blueberry and apple bars. Everything else can go in the compactor ☺️

Ask HR who makes the list of birthdays each month. Go to that person in April (probably towards the middle to end of the month) and tell them to leave your name off the list.

Unless the person is an asshole, they will leave your name off the list.

If the person is an asshole and puts your name on the list, go to the head of HR (or your store director) and tell them you view disclosing your birthday as a violation of your privacy. The schedule only has the first three letters of your last name to respect your privacy. Target should not be posting people's birthdays.

I hate birthdays. I just took it off instead so there was no awkward banter
Yeah, that's good and all, but I still don't want anyone on my entire team to know. Taking the day off to avoid any possible confrontation about it is good, but I don't really want to waste a day off for "that day". If someone says anything even after it's taken off the calendar, I'll just say "What are you talking about? It's not today. It's in October..." or something like that. But yeah, I expect after HR knows and it's not going to be on May's calendar, I should be good.

Tell your ETL, HRETL and STL to leave your info off the list. TELL, do not ASK and be very firm and do not give a reason under any circumstance.
Woah! I have to tell 3 different leaders? Why do you say I shouldn't give any reasons behind why I don't want anyone to know my stupid birthday?

Ask HR who makes the list of birthdays each month. Go to that person in April (probably towards the middle to end of the month) and tell them to leave your name off the list.

Unless the person is an asshole, they will leave your name off the list.

If the person is an asshole and puts your name on the list, go to the head of HR (or your store director) and tell them you view disclosing your birthday as a violation of your privacy. The schedule only has the first three letters of your last name to respect your privacy. Target should not be posting people's birthdays.
IT'S TRUE! Why is my store posting people's birthdays WITHOUT THEIR PERMISSION? It is a violation of someone's privacy. I'm okay with the store celebrating someone's Target Anniversary but birthday? No! Birthdays are the most overrated and dumb tradition of humankind. What is a birthday accomplishing in a human's life? I cringe at the thought that that was the one day I was brought into this cruel world, for better or for worse. My birthday....or rather birthdate....means absolutely nothing to me. I don't get why people run around my store and make everyone know it's "their special day" so you better wish them Happy Birthday or else? Like, who cares? Birthdays are extremely selfish and bring out odd behavior in people. Sorry for the rant, but I am trying to disassemble my birthday...it's just another day on the calendar and it only happened once in my life, not once every year.

It is most likely your HR Expert who makes the calendar. He prints the birthday and anniversary report on Workday then copies it on the calendar.
It has long been customary to wish people a happy birthday. There is no ill will nor invasion of privacy intended. Perhaps this tradition needs to change with the times, but for now, simply ask to be omitted from the list (I would start with HR Expert, but ASANTS).

Why argue? Tell them all because some will fight it, some will resist and some will forget. Reason you say? Nobody's damned business, that's reason enough. Your info-your choice, do whatever you want.

IT'S TRUE! Why is my store posting people's birthdays WITHOUT THEIR PERMISSION? It is a violation of someone's privacy. I'm okay with the store celebrating someone's Target Anniversary but birthday? No! Birthdays are the most overrated and dumb tradition of humankind. What is a birthday accomplishing in a human's life? I cringe at the thought that that was the one day I was brought into this cruel world, for better or for worse. My birthday....or rather birthdate....means absolutely nothing to me. I don't get why people run around my store and make everyone know it's "their special day" so you better wish them Happy Birthday or else? Like, who cares? Birthdays are extremely selfish and bring out odd behavior in people. Sorry for the rant, but I am trying to disassemble my birthday...it's just another day on the calendar and it only happened once in my life, not once every year.
Personally, I love celebrating my birthday with family, but I don't go around announcing it to people.

I hope you are taking care of yourself. Telling HR how you feel should solve the problem.

Last edited:
Personally, I love celebrating my birthday with family, but I don't go around announcing it to people.

I hope you are taking care of yourself. Telling HR how you feel should solve the problem.
Good for you on celebrating your own. For me...or to me...birthdays are absolutely nothing. It's not a miracle I was born, as have 8 billion people on this planet. Thinking of the day I was born kind of terrifies me. Did I alter my parents' lives for the better or for the worse? A lot of that goes inside my head all the time.

Red Robin isn't bad for birthdays, free burger and fries. Not sure if they still do it given the pandemic.
Bah, I'm good. When it comes to Starbucks who gives you a free drink for your birthday, I gave them a "fake birthday" so I can get a free drink anyway. I would rather pay full price than get it for free on my actual birthday anniversary to be honest.

Prior post is a bit contradictory, not really clear. Only been to Starbucks once, coffee was awful and I would never get one of those sugary messes. Coffee on the road? McDonalds, 7-11, WaWa. Diner coffee is good too.

I hope if nothing that you don’t think anyone on your team would use knowing your birthday in a malicious way... If you are worried, though, I’m sorry that someone is that shitty of a person😕.

I hope if nothing that you don’t think anyone on your team would use knowing your birthday in a malicious way... If you are worried, though, I’m sorry that someone is that shitty of a person😕.
Most people don't understand why I hate my birthday so very much. The worst thing someone can do is wish me a happy birthday on that day...all that does it rubs salt into my wounds of that day (I've had tragedy strike me on that day, keep that personal). The best thing that can happen is for everyone to leave me alone. I don't like taking the day off work to avoid all the possibilities of someone finding out and wishing me that.

Not a fan of people who know my feelings for birthdays and they still wish me it anyway. That's not being a good friend. I will unfriend or break ties with anyone who does that to me.

Talking to HR at my store, I hope that'll seal up all possibilities of people knowing my birthday on the precious birthday calendar. I hope my TL doesn't have access to my information because they would be the type of person to say something on that day if I worked and they somehow found out. Do I have to let the entire leadership team at my store know I don't want my birthday to be known? Or is HR department the only thing I need to do.

Get some quiet time with your HR and/or STL and simply explain your situation. It's a very personal thing and they are your first line of communication. Good luck, it should work out fine for you.

I CRINGE when anyone screams/sings “Happy Birthday to XYZ” - be sure to say HB to XYZ when you see them !
Sounds like a child’s kindergarten Class. Guests smirk. Annoying AF interruption. Stop, please stop.

Even MORE frustrating: Hearing - “It’s my birthday today!” ...... said repeatedly, to anyone/everyone within earshot.

of course, I would be the grumpy biatch if I dared speak “so what” aloud.

My store doesn't seem to give a crap about birthdays. It doesn't matter to me either way. I don't advertise mine.

I think it's important to note that for most people, saying Happy Birthday to someone is a pleasantry and they mean no harm or ill will.

Back