I'm Lost! How do Target gift cards work with other team member discounts?

Using gift cards as a team member has always confused me, so I just don't use them. I have a box with all of the promo cards I've never used and would like to, but want to use them correctly while getting the most value for my money. Since there is a sale on gift cards, I think it's time I learn how they work! Can we purchase them using tm discount? Do we get our tm discount if we use them (online or in store)?

You can not use your TM discount when purchasing a Target gift card. You can use your discount when paying with a Target gift card.

Why don't you just add your gift cards to your Target wallet? It's just like adding red card as payment. I hate small charges on my debit redcard, so I always carry a giftcard balance, all you have to do is select giftcard as payment and scan your wallet at checkout. (How many times do you buy a $1.59 soda or chips or a pack of gum?) Gift cards are just like cash, not understanding how your going to get the most for your money?!

I really feel that Target expects people to misplace or forget about the promo gift cards. You actually paid for the giftcard, your items where reduced in price to equal amount of giftcard. If you don't use your promo gift cards you end up actually not saving the money you thought you saved.

Why don't you just add your gift cards to your Target wallet? It's just like adding red card as payment. I hate small charges on my debit redcard, so I always carry a giftcard balance, all you have to do is select giftcard as payment and scan your wallet at checkout. (How many times do you buy a $1.59 soda or chips or a pack of gum?) Gift cards are just like cash, not understanding how your going to get the most for your money?!

I really feel that Target expects people to misplace or forget about the promo gift cards. You actually paid for the giftcard, your items where reduced in price to equal amount of giftcard. If you don't use your promo gift cards you end up actually not saving the money you thought you saved.

If you were smart, you would but a 6-pack of soda for $3 or $4 and bring a bottle in each shift instead of paying nearly $2 for 1 bottle.

If you were smart, you would but a 6-pack of soda for $3 or $4 and bring a bottle in each shift instead of paying nearly $2 for 1 bottle.
It's called examples buddy. I'm a F&B TL, I know how much things cost in my own dept. Buying a 6 pack of soda for $3-4 or a $3 bag of chips is still a small charge to me. If you were smart, you may not buy soda at all. I said I hate small charges, it's up to my personal preference what small is.

Your comment has nothing to do with original question.

Refilling a bottle with soda is very difficult to do without releasing a fair amount of carbonation.arbonation, making the soda partially flat.

I have water with me all the time. Thankfully my store is not a stickler about drinking on the floor. I always bring it from home, but sometimes I leave one somewhere by mistake so I will end up buying one.

Refilling a bottle with soda is very difficult to do without releasing a fair amount of carbonation.arbonation, making the soda partially flat.

What are you talking about?

I said buy a 6 pack of the soda bottles. You get a fresh bottle for each shift.

The only issue with GiftCards is if the card funds were purchased with a non-Target Credit/Debit Card. if the giftcard was a gift, or purchased with cash, check, or Target card, you should be able to utilize your discount with GC.

If you have questions, you can talk to your store management.

The only issue with GiftCards is if the card funds were purchased with a non-Target Credit/Debit Card. if the giftcard was a gift, or purchased with cash, check, or Target card, you should be able to utilize your discount with GC.

If you have questions, you can talk to your store management.
No one at my store cares how you get the gift card. I’ve had TMs at SCO ring up their items and then use the next SCO register to buy a gift card to cover the purchase. I was told it was wrong when I was hired but we’ve had a complete changeover of ETLs since then.

Maybe I’ll bring it up with our ETLSE and ETLAP the next time I see them. I don’t want anyone getting in trouble though so I need to think of the best way to phrase it.

Heck, I used to buy my Target gift cards @ Kroger. I earned fuel points at Kroger, got my discount at Target, and earned 2% cashback on my credit card.

Effectively increased my TM discount to 12%! Plus saved me some money on gas.

The only issue with GiftCards is if the card funds were purchased with a non-Target Credit/Debit Card. if the giftcard was a gift, or purchased with cash, check, or Target card, you should be able to utilize your discount with GC.... If you have questions, you can talk to your store management.
This is the correct answer. It's one of the least-understood aspects of the TM discount. I find many TMs particularly those who are new don't understand that they aren't supposed to load a Target giftcard (intended for use with the TM discount) using PIN debit, Amex, Discover, Mastercard or Visa.

While the chances of being caught are very small, this is the kind of thing which might be investigated and used against a TM if the TM is under probationary status for something else. In such situations, companies tend to thoroughly review and investigate things like the accuracy of one's original job application, one's attendance history, and things like TM discount purchases with a fine-toothed comb. Don't run the risk, it isn't worth it!

No one at my store cares how you get the gift card. I’ve had TMs at SCO ring up their items and then use the next SCO register to buy a gift card to cover the purchase. I was told it was wrong when I was hired but we’ve had a complete changeover of ETLs since then..... Maybe I’ll bring it up with our ETLSE and ETLAP the next time I see them. I don’t want anyone getting in trouble though so I need to think of the best way to phrase it.
Definitely bring up the topic with your store leaders. They (the leaders) could have a real headache on their hands if District leadership finds out about this, better to nip it in the bud.
P.S. For the life of me, I don't get why more Target TMs don't simply join the Target credit union, where you can use the CU debit or credit cards at the Target stores and get TM discount. Target CU's checking accounts are FREE (free is a good price last time I checked), 30,000 free ATMs including all ATMs at Target stores, you get early access to your Target payroll direct deposit, and so forth. The only drawback is the Target CU cards won't provide the TM discount at target.com

Why? It's probably for the same reason I closed my USAA account. If you use cash at all an online only bank is rough. You basically have to pay a "fee" by purchasing money orders and taking pictures like a check deposit in order to deposit cash.

Why? It's probably for the same reason I closed my USAA account. If you use cash at all an online only bank is rough. You basically have to pay a "fee" by purchasing money orders and taking pictures like a check deposit in order to deposit cash.
There are online only accounts that still have ATM access.

Target Credit Union partners with hundreds of other credit unions all over the country. You can deposit cash for free at one of them.

Target Credit Union belongs to the CO-OP Shared Branch network so you have access to live teller services, including the ability to deposit cash and withdraw cash, at hundreds of other credit unions. TCU also belongs to the CO-OP and Allpoint ATM networks for waived ATM surcharges - including the ATM inside your own Target store. Actively use Target Credit Union power plus checking and any other ATM surcharges may be refunded. Loan rates and deposit rates are great too, it's a nice part of being a Target team member - but note that our credit union now is a division of a larger CU called Baxter so you may see references to "BCU" on their materials.

Back