Archived How do you deal with disrespect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flabbergasted

Ex-GSA
So I feel stupid even posting this thread and asking this question, but I'm not a TL so I'm not really a "leader." But I am a GSA, so I am a supervisor, and my job is to function as one. But of course, I cannot coach.

I am currently dealing with a disrespectful fellow team member at the front-end. They have worked here longer than me, and I think they have an extremely bitter attitude especially regarding my recent promotion, going so far as to use the "You're not my boss" card on me, not tell me when they're leaving/clocking out, telling me I don't know what I'm doing, consistently making me feel like an idiot, and not listening to instructions. No one else behaves this way but them and it is very frustrating. I want to tell my GSTL but I'm not sure since this person has been here so long. It is getting to the point where I know I am going to have a bad shift if I have to work alongside this individual. I wanted to tell the LOD today but I'm not used to "telling on" people, and I know this person would give me shit if they knew I said something about them.

So really, what should I do? Is there a way to stop this person from giving me a hard time?

Level set your expectations and ensure that your expectations are following best practice. Don't come up with any weird or over the top rules for this team member to follow and make sure your TL/ETL-GE are on the same page with these expectations. And keep it simple.

Make sure the TM knows the consequences of not following these expectations. And I don't mean coachings/telling on them. Actual consequences, such as causing confusion at the front, damaging sales, impacting guest survey, ect.

Example...

Expectation - "Let me know when you're going to break/coming back"
Consequence - "If I don't know who is on break/who is coming back to break, it causes confusion at the front lanes and we might end up sending 2 people at the same time or somebody hitting their 5th hour. The other team members let me know when they are coming/going so that YOU don't end up being the only person on a lane and don't end up hitting a 5th. Please do the same so that it doesn't happen to your co-workers."

Expectation - "I need you to perform the bathroom check at X hour"
Consequence - "I know nobody wants to do the bathroom check, but we broke it up so that everybody gets an equal amount of bathroom checks. It's not fair to your co-workers that you don't have to check the bathroom while somebody else has to do 2 in their shift."

And so on. Being a GSA is tough, but the thing to remember is that while you're "in charge", all you're really doing is making sure that the right things happen at the right time. That X happens when Y time hits. You didn't come up with the rules, you didn't make the schedule, you didn't come up with the initiatives. You're there following somebody elses, an actual supervisors, directions. With this particular team member, it might stroke her ego a bit to let her know that you're a team member just like her...just with a different set of responsibilities. You have no extra power or seniority....you're just there to be the GSTL's voice when they're not there. You don't decide, you just do.

If then you're still not getting results, then it might be time to get your TL involved. Especially if this particular team member is making life difficult for front lanes in general.

Sad to say some people are going to be smegheads no matter what you do and the only way you can deal with them is to drag them up by their short and curlies.

As RetailWorld said make you expectations clear and the reasons for them but make damn sure that if this mutt doesn't follow through you step on his head.
The first time you get a 'you're no the boss of me' out of him, write him up and coach him for insubordination.
If you don't have that power, ASANTS, talk to your TL and get them to.
That dog don't hunt.
Because if you keep letting him get away with it, other cashiers will follow suit.

You are coming across as controlling & bossy person. Lead by example, set goals & being nice. I am seeing an attitude from both sides.Did you ask or tell them? If they left on the scheduled time, you should not have any issue with it. Patience & trust will take time to built with your team. Take it easy on them for now.

I have to agree with @RetailWorld .

Don't have an attitude of "I'm the boss so do what I say" because you are really the person in between the boss (GSTL) and the cashiers.

Don't nitpick with every little thing he does wrong, and instead pick a big one and focus on it for a while (RedCards). This way if he is still consistently ignoring you, you can bring it up with your GSTL that he is failing to do that one specific thing ( it will sound whiney if you just say "he doesn't listen to me or respect me").

As for the "you're not my boss" card...If your GSTL does indeed see you as a boss, you can respond "Well unfortunately MY boss disagrees with you."

I wouldn't let the person walk all over you. Show them respect and treat them how you want to be treated etc. If it comes down to them not doing their job and you are being held accountable for it then you need to cover your hiney.

also partner with tl's and etl's. store i trained at, the cashiers are very aware gsa's can't coach. they'd curse in front of guests and don't care if someone tells them not to. the tl can coach them even if its not their workcenter.

Things like these are why I'm glad my store has the GSA and GSTL positions merged into one.

It might seem different, but this is what I dealt with in the entire store, when I took a full-time GSTL position at 16 while still in high school. It really REALLY was an amazing experience that I still draw from to this day (more than 10 years since I started). It truly illustrates the power of LEADERSHIP as a lifestyle not a title. If you show empathy, use some choice "I" statements, and work hard to button up any misinterpretation, it can be done. However, I feel the growing pains. In the course of the 20 months in my first store (where I was promoted) I was chased out of Food Ave with a spatula by a senior citizen TM screaming "you stupid boy!" (for having to give her an IE on her review), threatened by a "gangster" Hardlines TL who was fired after telling me to "watch my back" when walking to my car at night, and even survived a diabolical plot of 3 SDTM's who tried to hide checks on my watch to get me fired.

Don't take it personally. Be real, but firm. State expectations, and the big picture as was mentioned above. Trust me, you're not the first, and you certainly won't be the last--know that the lessons you learn here will aid you WELL beyond Spot ;-)

Thanks everyone. I just don't want any issues. I'd like to promote to TL from here, and I'd hate to do or say something stupid to this TM that would crush my chances of that. I'm not trying to be "bossy," but I am still learning what I can and cannot do, and trying to understand what a GSA really is.

Thanks everyone. I just don't want any issues. I'd like to promote to TL from here, and I'd hate to do or say something stupid to this TM that would crush my chances of that. I'm not trying to be "bossy," but I am still learning what I can and cannot do, and trying to understand what a GSA really is.

Standing up for yourself is not being bossy.
Lead by example like everyone says.
Don't let him get to you.
He's just a bump in the road.

It's strange to me because they don't always act like this, just at certain times throughout a shift. And only with me; the other GSA and GSTLs they behave completely normally and respectfully towards, but I guess I am just a joke to this person.

Last edited:
Relax and take a deep Breath, Target isn't filled with bosses but leaders. You're mistaken if you think a title gives you power. It's all about influencing your team, simplest way to go about it is just ask questions. Communication is critical, a person always needs to know why they're doing something, cause honestly no one likes being told what to do. Asking questions gets them thinking, take control don't let them disrespect you. If they end up doing something wrong never talk to them in front of guests or other team members. Pull them aside and let them know what there doing negatively impacts the team, the guest and the store. Its true you are not allowed to do written coachings doesn't mean you can't pull them aside and talk to them. A team is only as good as its leader, So show them you are a leader and prove why they must listen.

I dealt with this when I received a promotion to GSA from the sales floor. Although I had been at the store for 3 years prior, people were mad that I was suddenly a "supervisor". I had no problems with the sales floor or management (they all embraced my promotion) but the cashiers and service desk team did not take well to me. We have a few cashiers that will just shut their light off and go to the bathroom, take 30-40 minute 15's, go on a 30 but wait 15 minutes to clock out so they get a 45 minute 30, etc. They do not comply with the target policies regarding coupons, checks, etc. They walk in late constantly, answer their phones on the lane, leave their lane in disarray when they leave...

I just kept going to the ETL-GE until nothing was being done, so I gave up.

I use the word "we" often
We need to work together as a team
We can't have TM's leaving their registers without the person in charge knowing.
We need to cater to the guests needs.

When I have to tell cashiers things such as, not eating at food ave, I start with, I know you don't abuse this, but I have to tell all the cashiers not to eat at food ave.. I take the brunt of it when etl's see it happening.

I find they are all more receptive when I phrase things that way, even the two who don't like me and feel I am bossy.

When I have to tell cashiers things such as, not eating at food ave, I start with, I know you don't abuse this, but I have to tell all the cashiers not to eat at food ave.. I take the brunt of it when etl's see it happening.

Your store still has the "no TMs at Food Ave." policy? Lol, they threw that policy out the window at my store after trying that extremely unsuccessfully some time last year. Even the ETLs were opposed to it. The LOD will often take his/her lunch at Food Ave. and shoot the shit with other TMs. No one gives a hoot or a holler if some crusty old guest gets offended that TMs are real people who have to take breaks.

So I feel stupid even posting this thread and asking this question, but I'm not a TL so I'm not really a "leader." But I am a GSA, so I am a supervisor, and my job is to function as one. But of course, I cannot coach.

I am currently dealing with a disrespectful fellow team member at the front-end. They have worked here longer than me, and I think they have an extremely bitter attitude especially regarding my recent promotion, going so far as to use the "You're not my boss" card on me, not tell me when they're leaving/clocking out, telling me I don't know what I'm doing, consistently making me feel like an idiot, and not listening to instructions. No one else behaves this way but them and it is very frustrating. I want to tell my GSTL but I'm not sure since this person has been here so long. It is getting to the point where I know I am going to have a bad shift if I have to work alongside this individual. I wanted to tell the LOD today but I'm not used to "telling on" people, and I know this person would give me shit if they knew I said something about them.

So really, what should I do? Is there a way to stop this person from giving me a hard time?

First and foremost, allow me to congratulate you on your promotion; I have read through your journey, and I am happy for you.

If I were your boss, and you told me, I would be having a conversation with that team member; if your leader isn't going to back you, then what's the point? That person is obviously not ready, or mature enough to be promoted, based on her behavior. In other words, the leadership was correct in not promoting that person. I had a similar issue with a subordinate giving the level one leader the same type of disrespect. If he/she were to retaliate, it would be automatic termination. I had to fire two people for retaliating against another co-worker/supervisor. You need to be sharing your concerns with the GSTL. This type of behavior is unacceptable in the workplace, especially when there are negative effects to external and internal customers alike. Not listening to instruction is insubordination, and is therefore, grounds for disciplinary action. If you have a good leader, then this behavior will stop.

You need to be careful that you're not over-stepping your authority. As a leader, you FORFEIT the right to abuse people; do NOT go on a power-trip, because YOU will be the one to blame (I'm not saying you are, but if you are......you need to change now). A bossy, power-tripping leader is no leader at all. I have a heavy dislike for such "leaders", as do 99.9% of the world. Make sure that you are not conveying that to them. The higher up you go, the more YOU have to sacrifice. However, they need to respect your position. In return, you MUST be respectful towards them. I would ask her if there are any concerns. If that does not work, I would respectfully tell her the expectations, and how it hurts the team. I like how the second response gave much detail in this. At the end of the day, Target is our customer; they are buying OUR time. We need to give Target excellent customer service, since they are our customer. That means, being respectful towards everyone, and following best practices, even if we don't agree with them. If she is disrespectful towards you after you've tried speaking with her, then you will need to involve a team lead, or even an ETL. If she retaliates, nothing short of termination is acceptable. If and when you need to confront your leader, you need to have documented a few examples of disrespect. Additionally, you need to state that you've tried to discuss the situation with that team member, but to no avail. In this case, you are expressing that using a leader is the last resort, and you will be respected for this, even if no one expresses it to you.

As a team member at Target, but a leader at my other job, I've ran into disrespectful team members. As a new employee at Target, I was all ears and learned the best I could. I became the best on the team. However, some of the team members have tried to "lateral micro-manage" me. I allowed this to happen for some time, as I was learning. However, as I understood the job, I eventually had to express my dislike for that behavior. Sometimes, I had to be quite harsh about it (i.e. "you need to worry about yourself, and not others", "you need to mind your own business", "stop telling others what to do, when you don't have the authority to"). People have to give respect to receive it. I am resented by a few team members because of my work ethic and leadership skills. I don't try to lead at Target; I lead by example, without using words. Some team members really like me because of those aforementioned traits. If/when I decide to be an ETL, I will use more of my leadership, but as of right now, I use leadership through service and example.

If you would like some insight on leadership, read this thread. I'm not perfect, but my input seems to be helpful. I am the last post on the page. http://www.thebreakroom.org/index.php?threads/coming-into-target-as-etl-hr-tips.10916/

Last edited:
I would set expectations like everyone is suggesting but make sure you are letting the whole team know so you don't single out this person... if this TM chooses to be defiant just approach them calmly and ask for them to for example let you know when they are leaving or something. If there is no way of getting through to this TM you need to tell the LOD. this person's bad attitude could be like poison for the team. a

You have received a lot of good advice, but I would input that I would talk to the GSTLs in your store sooner than later. You may or may not find out that this cashier has a personal trial-by-fire attitude towards new supervisors, and that it is nothing personal. You will also want everyone in your leadership to be on the same page, because if six weeks from today you are bringing up that you are having these problems, especially if they have increased, the other front end leaders may feel blindsided and wonder when this all began and why it escalated under their noses.

Also, simply comparing notes with the other leaders may enlighten you as to what effective approach works best with this team member. Without knowing everyone in the situation we can't give complete advice here. If the team member is ESL maybe they need to be spoken to with different terms, if they have a disability maybe they think you are absent and simply need you to be more physically visible, or maybe they just think they know better and need to know that it is you that is accountable to be on top of it. That's why I say it may be best to compare notes with others, if you are having issues with respect there is a possibility they have in the past as well.

I was a temp FATL quite a few times, and I had to deal with one TM who consistently would not follow food safety protocols. They would perform the weekly cleaning tasks, not clean counters or tables thoroughly, would not filter grease or clean the grill (when we had fryers/grill), not clean the popcorn machine, leave grill/oven on consistently, no food would be prepped, and old hotdogs would be on the rollers. Yet when I took initiative to state that to the TM that the protocols had to be followed in order to provide food quality and safety to the TMs and guests. Execs were slack about following up on the TM because their mother was Clerical and sister was a GSA.

Even though I was in the right, the Execs informed me that I had follow the chain of command. So I started documenting and bring stuff up to the Execs attention when stuff wasn't done correctly or at all.

So best thing for GSAs is to initially bare the talkback, document it, and report it to the GSTL and the ETL-GE.

so one of the leadership criteria is courage. if its part of your team, talk to tl, etl. they'll coach. if its insane level, bring in a tl/etl and explain this is just unacceptable level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back