Archived How do you handle working two jobs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not sure how I do it... Routine pretty much, and a cat that gets me up early in the morning.

My other job provides the benefits: medical and dental. I get there in the morning. I work in the late afternoons or evenings at Spot. I also take classes and that’s a challenge. Fortunately, they’re all online this semester.

Long answer, maybe more than you were looking for, but I have a lot of experience balancing multiple jobs, specifically including Target, so I thought at least one person might find this useful...

I currently have, in all seriousness, 6 jobs I work consistently.
2 self employment/1099, 4 regular employment/W-2. Target is one of my W-2s.
It sounds like a lot, but in practice it's not really.
Think of it like school + a part time job + extracurriculars, but the adulting version.

1. How do you balance / make your schedule flexible?
I balance my schedule by making parts of my schedule inflexible, based on my personal goals and priorities.
I've worked for Target off and on, always part time, since 2000. I have always been upfront with Target management about my schedule and Target being at least 2nd in line priority wise, but I've also always provided Target with a clear and consistent weekly availability that includes some less desirable, difficult to cover shifts. Find small ways such as this to provide extra value, and management is far more likely to accommodate your scheduling requests.

2. Do you prioritize one job over the other? (ex: better pay, better hours, better benefits)
yes, i prioritize in this order, to give you some context and examples of the reasoning:
1) W-2 Passion Job, not consistent hours but I love it and it is my second highest paying W-2
2) W-2 Random Enjoyable Job, highest paying W-2 with most consistent schedule and guaranteed minimum number of hours per week
3) 1099 Passion Job - 6-8 hours a week, always on the same day of the week, I treat this like my weekend.
4) Self Employment - only 5-10 hours a week, whenever it fits in
5) Target - least consistent and lowest paying W-2, but I'm a lifer, so here we are.
6) W-2 Passion Job No. 2 - high hourly rate but project based and sporadic scheduling

3. Tips on handling exhaustion / burnt out?
Block Scheduling - google calendars is ideal. Put in your work schedules, school/social schedule, and then block out chunks of time for sleeping, eating, basic life stuff.
Set clear boundaries and expectations with employers/clients - I disclosed in my Target interviews the complexities of my schedule and availability. I then reiterated during the scheduling part of orientation, and anytime Target schedules me at a time that I am unavailable- which will happen, don't take it personally. Politely but firmly discuss with a TL or HR and move on.
Hydrate - seriously.
Schedule your sleep.
Schedule a consistent weekly day off, if possible. If a full day off isn't an option, schedule a consistent block of time, like 5-8 hours, for yourself weekly.
Turn in time off requests as early as possible to protect your plans and sanity.

4. Do you have a specific day off?
Yes, in each week I have one day totally blocked off for fun stuff & 1099 Passion Job, plus a block (6-8 hours) of rest/recovery/social/self-care time on a second day.

How many hours do you work in a typical week? And do any of your jobs provide insurance?

All in it averages 70-80 hours a week, but bear in mind three of my jobs and my self employment are "passion jobs," so I'm getting paid to do things I would do for fun or for free. I pay out of pocket for insurance, but the trade off of not hating my day-to-day work life is so totally worth it.

i do want to warn you that being so new, an attempt to close your availability at all may be met with resistance from your leaders and HR. we typically don't allow team members to limit the availability that they confirmed with us at orientation for their first 90 days.

I’ll hope for the best. Thanks for letting me know.

I’m not sure how I do it... Routine pretty much, and a cat that gets me up early in the morning.

My other job provides the benefits: medical and dental. I get there in the morning. I work in the late afternoons or evenings at Spot. I also take classes and that’s a challenge. Fortunately, they’re all online this semester.
God bless you man that’s a lot of things on your plate for one person!!!!

*UPDATE ABOUT SECOND JOB*

So I got offered the starbucks job and accepted. Also, told HR about it they might only make me work weekends. Something about electronics popped up too 11am-7pm (in my head i was like huh?) Cuz i’m not part of the electronics team but during my interview i did bring up i build my own computers and stuff.

But now i wait for my background check to go through with starbucks to discuss final details with both parties.

Also, you have my respect to all of you who are working 2 or more jobs. You must have the greatest time management.

Thanks, Prodil.

Hi everyone, I just started as a Seasonal Team Member. I'm here to ask for those who are working/worked two or more jobs a few questions.

Kind of early to say since I just started as TM but I've given it some thought if I do want a second job.
I ask, this because if I manage to not get an offer for a job after the seasonal period ends. I will have the second job so I wouldn't need to worry about looking for another if thats the case.

1. How do you balance / make your schedule flexible?

2. Do you prioritize one job over the other? (ex: better pay, better hours, better benefits)

3. Tips on handling exhaustion / burnt out?

4. Do you have a specific day off?

Thanks, Prodil 😄

I worked at Target for 4 years before getting a 40 hour/week job in my career field. They let me cut down to one day a week (Saturdays), and I've stayed on working both jobs for the past several years.

Having the one day a week at Target isn't too bad. I view it as a way to lock down $100 a week, keep my discount and load a crapload of steps onto my Fitbit. I think that I worked there for years beforehand at a near full time level made them okay with allowing me to drop to one day a week.

My other job is definitely prioritized over Target. But, if we do have a Saturday report, I see if someone else on my team can do it.

When I first started at my other job, it was as an intern, and I didn't know if I would be hired on. So, I worked 40 hours a week there and 22 hours a week (6-Midnight Sat-Tues) at Target. That was definitely a draining experience. I'd get home on Wednesdays, open up my computer and be like "... oh yeah, this is the site I was looking at four days ago." I think I went 28 days without a day off once. Managing that was just a "It will all be over soon" philosophy. When I did get hired on full time, I quickly dropped down to 1 day a week (I did keep doing 22 through Q4 though). But, in hindsight, I really don't know how I didn't burn out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back