Archived How do you know you are being coached?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrontEndFirecracker

Vibe Machine
Since they eliminated the requirement that you sign the form, how do you know you are being coached? Are they required to say "this is a coaching"? Are they formal sit-downs, or can a coaching occur as a quick chat while working?

Thank you!

I don't think that's true.
At least it sure doesn't sound right.
I've been gone a year so things might have changed pretty radically but wow.
Anybody?

The informal coaching while your standing in the aisle or the gotcha coaching, I'd believe but the formal stuff they'd still want you to sign it.

Coaching doesn't have to be a sit down are pulled in the office...
They do at least have to say it's a coaching when they speak to about whatever it is...
Best thing to do is ask if the talk was a coaching...

Coaching don't have to be signed anymore, can't remember exactly when it changed but that's correct.
When your leader "coaches" you, there is key terms were supposed to use, its never called a coaching in the conversation.
..you need to improve on this we've had this "conversation" before
..If this continues we may have to move to the next step which could be counseling then termination.

Actually..... leaders are not required to say whether or not it is a coaching anymore. A good leader would. I always do.... but yes, you can be coached weekly and not know that you were being coached until you have to sign the corrective action.

Last edited:
right once youve been coached a time or two it goes to a counseling and those i thought were still signed. you can be coached all the time and not know it.. basically its up to the team lead to record them. once you get so many recorded they take it to the enxt step usually we give 3 chances up i dont know the actual requirements

Coaching can be formal or informal. Usually informal coaching doesn't have any negative connotations, it's a simple bump in the right direction.

A formal coaching you will know you're being coached, it will be very to the point.

You don't sign anything for coachings usually, only for corrective action.

ive only heard the term "coaching" used once at target.... i heard it non stop while working at walmart... and no none of it was directed at me... lol... ive never had a leader come to me ever in my almost 10 years of retail experience and tell me that i need to improve on something or anything of that nature... i find it kind of rare actually... most of the time ive heard of it happening is when it had to do with attendance or being late..... otherwise you REALLY gotta be way lost or just not care about your job to be coached...

i wouldnt worry about it... if your being coached im sure you will know it... and if so.. still dont worry about it.. just make sure to correct it!

Since they eliminated the requirement that you sign the form, how do you know you are being coached? Are they required to say "this is a coaching"? Are they formal sit-downs, or can a coaching occur as a quick chat while working?

Thank you!

Management does not have to tell you that you are being coached. They can say something to you on the sales floor, such as," Hey, you should have been more detailed when setting the end cap. Some of the items were on the wrong shelf." Then the leader goes and writes up the "conversation" on a sheet of paper, hands it to your ETL-HR and tells him/her that this is a coaching and to put it in your file. It's kind of "chicken-sh*t," but that's all they have to do.

When I was a team lead, I always said to any team member that I coached, "THIS IS A COACHING," so they knew it was going into their file and that they needed to improve on whatever it was about. Other leaders don't have the same ethics, especially if they are trying to get rid of you.

But you can have 100 "coachings" and it doesn't really matter until it turns into a "Counseling." That is when you are pulled into an office and formally read the riot act. You have to sign the document then and you have 30 days or so to improve or it can result in a Final Warning (30 days and you're out!).

You should always ask a leader if you are unsure an issue is a coaching or not, and "hope that they tell you the truth."

@spikegrouchy I'd say its rather redundant asking if its a coaching or not. If you're being corrected in your core roles, its always going to be a coaching. If you don't know what your core roles are you should ask for a copy (most TL will comply). In all honesty even documented coachings aren't always that huge of a deal. It just means that they noticed you did X wrong and they told you how to correct it. You should be smart enough to know what is a coaching and what isn't.

If they tell you to stop being late because it has a negative impact on business, are you going to ask if its a coaching? Duh!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back