Archived How do you lead your backroom team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since we're going in to the 4th quarter what is the best way to lead a backroom team to come clean every truck day?

As a tl, figure out who your strongest/best tm's are. Be ready to deal with complainers, weak tm's, call outs, no payroll & late trucks. Be ready for days you can't finish the truck too. Last thing, a good etl-log for a boss.
Know your team well & they will work/respect you. Set a good example for them. Train new tm's well.
Good luck!

Hire more people. Expecting one person to do the work of three is ridiculous.
Confiscate the cell phones from the people you do have. They aren't doing anything but sitting down in the aisles texting and watching ESPN highlights.
Come to the realization that you are a glorified baby-sitter. You have to check on these people every ten minutes to make sure they are working.
Don't micromanage the two or three people you have that can work without adult supervision.

"Confiscate the cell phones from the people you do have."

And when the $800 Galaxy S3 you confiscated turns up missing, then what? Or are you going to sit guard over all of them the entire shift?

Perhaps I should edit for the sarcasm impaired. Of course you can't actually confiscate property from team members. That being said, it would be nice if team members would leave their phones at home, in a locker, in their car, etc., so as to not be tempted to stare at them when they are supposed to be working.

And if your backrrom team members can afford $800.00 phones they are overpaid. Also a joke, please untwist your panties.

Perhaps I should edit for the sarcasm impaired. Of course you can't actually confiscate property from team members. That being said, it would be nice if team members would leave their phones at home, in a locker, in their car, etc., so as to not be tempted to stare at them when they are supposed to be working.

And if your backrrom team members can afford $800.00 phones they are overpaid. Also a joke, please untwist your panties.

HA. not wearing any. :spiteful:

I'm terrified of the Wi-fi. I haven't used it yet. To scared that "[name]'s iPhone" is connected and on Facebook. Not that I use my phone at work, but if I'm in the bathroom...

it is scary. i used it for pandora after we close or before we open. but, when i am here on the forum, i used my mifi.

Know your team well & they will work/respect you.

Incredible words of wisdom. I preach this so much, even as a TM. Our newest ETL just doesn't seem to get it or understand it, even one of my TL's doesn't get it. You don't understand and value the culture and the sociological make up of your team and you'll gain very little trust and respect from your team members.

Take care of the TMs that take care of you. Either help the ones that "need attention" get better or help them get "promoted" to guest. The ones that are busting their hump will appreciate it and you set standards for your team. I had an amazing BR team at my old store that took time to build and develop. I wound up getting 5 of my best people promoted to TL over 3 years. If you got guys standing around playing with their phones, well that could be considered "loafing." Just remeber to always respect your team members.

Lol waving the backroom. I'm probably misunderstanding exactly how your BR waves, but how are you fitting 3-4 people in an aisle? lol
Non 4th quarter, on A side we usually have a team of 2 while the 3rd is by themselves. During 4th quarter its 2 teams of 2. B side usually alone, sometimes in a team of 2 (depends on if its a double truck, larger truck, payroll, etc.)

Lol waving the backroom. I'm probably misunderstanding exactly how your BR waves, but how are you fitting 3-4 people in an aisle? lol
Non 4th quarter, on A side we usually have a team of 2 while the 3rd is by themselves. During 4th quarter its 2 teams of 2. B side usually alone, sometimes in a team of 2 (depends on if its a double truck, larger truck, payroll, etc.)

no i ment like move one stockroom at a time lol

For stores with only one stockroom, this would mean bowl out truck backstock and backstock aisle per aisle, if aisle is high, then 2 in that aisle (1 on the ladder, the other tossing up casepacks). Then start flow backstock per where ever the wave has gone through. I had my old Flow team trained to separate fillgroups (salesfloor aisle ranges mostly) to make it easier. Though I usually had 1 TM take care of the bulk/receiving backstock (2 on double).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back