Archived How does a TM go to Senior TL when District is over head count and I'm on TL bench?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EagleEye

Executive Team Leader
We recently lost a Sales Floor Senior TL, so I inquired with our ETL HR and she said that we would have to move another TL in the district into the position before promoting. I understand that reasoning but now we have a new Senior TL that was promoted from TM from another store in our district. The guy is no fun, never smiles, and doesn't even look at you when you're talking one-on-one.

I've been on the TL bench for about 5 months, so how does someone so bland get to bypass the "rules" so to speak?

Nice hair?

You need to look at other things besides personality.
Numbers, who his mentors are, what kind of people will he be working with (maybe they want a flat personality).
The important part is not to take it personally l

Unfortunately, it sounds like your store team didn't think you were ready to make the jump to the Sr TL position. Otherwise, they would have promoted you. If your store was under headcount on Key Carriers, they probably had no choice but to take someone the district thought was ready to be a SrTL.

I agree with commie though. If you let it become personal, it could undermine all the work you've done to get on the bench. If they see you become frustrated and derisive, it'll tell them they were right about you. Keep doing what got you onto the bench in the first place and prove them wrong.

We recently lost a Sales Floor Senior TL, so I inquired with our ETL HR and she said that we would have to move another TL in the district into the position before promoting. I understand that reasoning but now we have a new Senior TL that was promoted from TM from another store in our district. The guy is no fun, never smiles, and doesn't even look at you when you're talking one-on-one.

I've been on the TL bench for about 5 months, so how does someone so bland get to bypass the "rules" so to speak?

You do not have all of the information. Perhaps he was on the bench before you, perhaps the store he came from was over headcount and with his transfer both stores are now at headcount, perhaps they put him in that position because they see it as a good fit, perhaps etc.

So he doesn't smile, is bland, and isn't fun? You just do not like his personality, grow up.

You do not have all of the information. Perhaps he was on the bench before you, perhaps the store he came from was over headcount and with his transfer both stores are now at headcount, perhaps they put him in that position because they see it as a good fit, perhaps etc.

So he doesn't smile, is bland, and isn't fun? You just do not like his personality, grow up.

Sorry to burst your bubble. I actually sat down with him today and just simply asked him question about his "Target Story". The guy flat out told me "Well I've been with Target for almost two years but my brother is District-Level, so I'm just getting pushed."

Seems like it was just simply another "it's who you know" promotion in Target. We had a LOG TL that was hired in because he was best friends with a DTL from a neighboring district. Needless to say my STL fired him after about 4 months.

Yep, like I said gotta look at the other things.
Who's his "mentor" is always top of the list.

Time to move on, prove to them that you can kick ass and take names.
Sorry you got screwed.
The world does have a way of paying back people for this kind of drek,we just rarely get to see it.

Like the old saying goes....sometimes its not what you know but who you know . Like someone else stated don't take it personal...although I Know that's hard to do.

Sorry to burst your bubble. I actually sat down with him today and just simply asked him question about his "Target Story". The guy flat out told me "Well I've been with Target for almost two years but my brother is District-Level, so I'm just getting pushed."

Seems like it was just simply another "it's who you know" promotion in Target. We had a LOG TL that was hired in because he was best friends with a DTL from a neighboring district. Needless to say my STL fired him after about 4 months.

I'm calling bullshit on this. If someone was actually getting pushed in this way, they would not tell it to someone they hardly know. There's a saying that fits this scenario...haters gonna hate

Yep, like I said gotta look at the other things.
Who's his "mentor" is always top of the list.

Time to move on, prove to them that you can kick ass and take names.
Sorry you got screwed.
The world does have a way of paying back people for this kind of drek,we just rarely get to see it.

You got that right! It's not a big deal since it's happened multiple times before I was signed off to be a TL. He'll either pass through quick and move up, leaving another TL spot open, or my gung-ho STL will jump on him too just like he got rid of two of our ETLs and a Senior within 2 months of working our store!

5 months on the bench is a long time. The 12 I've had on the bench promote within weeks usually. Never at our store but other stores in district. I keep in close contact with other stores because they always feel we have tl potentials that I mentor. Partner with your mentor and make sure you are moving forward everyday. Get feedback ask questions build communication and continue to go above and beyond. I've never seen a tm go to srtl. As far as our groups rules are you don't become a srtl until you've been a tl for Atleast 4 years... Because then you are considered a veteran hence the term "senior" but if they just pushed him that's not an equal opportunity employer and is against targets policy

5 months on the bench is a long time. The 12 I've had on the bench promote within weeks usually. Never at our store but other stores in district. I keep in close contact with other stores because they always feel we have tl potentials that I mentor. Partner with your mentor and make sure you are moving forward everyday. Get feedback ask questions build communication and continue to go above and beyond. I've never seen a tm go to srtl. As far as our groups rules are you don't become a srtl until you've been a tl for Atleast 4 years... Because then you are considered a veteran hence the term "senior" but if they just pushed him that's not an equal opportunity employer and is against targets policy
hopefully that's the case for me... I was signed off 3 weeks ago tomorrow, and we currently have a TL spot vacant (café / electronics... we're ULV so only have 1 sales floor tl so to make it easier on that TL they pair café with electronics)... But I've heard of people being on the bench for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back