Archived How does store numbering work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tessa120

Current game: Elex
The stores close to my store have store numbers that are wildly different. I always thought this weird because sequential numbers would seem to me to make better sense. The other day I saw a list of phone numbers for stores in a pretty large surrounding area, the list also had store numbers and there is some sequential numbering, but the sequential numbers bounce all over, geographically. Store 30ish miles away have the number above and below my store's number, and numbers above and below those are also pretty far apart. Stores that are far closer to those stores have store numbers not even close in numerical sequence. So now I'm really curious, what determines a store number? Why do they bounce the numbers around instead of assigning numbers sequentially based on geographic direction?

Is there something that would vary that? For example, two stores 3 miles apart have a difference of 1500 in their store numbers. Being that close together, wouldn't they have been built together? If done years apart, wouldn't it have saved money to just close the first store and make a far bigger second store?

Is there something that would vary that? For example, two stores 3 miles apart have a difference of 1500 in their store numbers. Being that close together, wouldn't they have been built together? If done years apart, wouldn't it have saved money to just close the first store and make a far bigger second store?
my guess is what happened is store 1 was so popular and/or there was huge growth in the area, so they needed a second store later.

stores in my area have anywhere from 1-500+ difference in numbers. mine is somewhere in the middle

Market demands change. When store one was built, they didn’t need two. Later, they needed two.

If a store moves, it gets a new number. One store I was at built at the back of the same parking lot, they went from a 2 digit number(really old store) to 4 digits. There are still many stores under 500 especially in the Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin and Illinois areas

Yea, but we have T3XXs and then stores that jump all the way up to T2XXX here. What?

Not sure what’s so hard to understand about this.. it’s sequential by the time of opening. Stores can be close by physically and have large gaps in store number due to being built at different times.

Example:
Say T1234 is built in a large town. After 5 years of business, the store is extremely profitable, moves merchandise, crushes sales, and the local guests prove there is a demand for Target, so the company decides to build a locaion on the other side of town. Just because it’s nearby doesnt mean it gets to be T1235. It’s all in order of construction/opening, and will get the next number on the list.

Not necessarily. In Dearborn, Michigan there are two Kroger stores facing each other on opposite sides of the same road.

Turns out people won't cross Michigan Ave if they don't have to.

There are generational gaps varying upon region. Construction booms on the east coast for a while, then the pacific north west, then the mid west, then the south. That’s why you have districts with 100’s, 1000’s, and 2000’s. 3000 stores are Express and Flex Formats aka college stores.

Right now Target is focusing on remodels (poorly), and constructing only 15-30 stores per year. There was a time when hundreds seemingly popped up at once. That’s why T0123, T15xx, and T23xx could be right down the street from each other.

Remodels keep the same number
Relocations vary. Some companies keep the same number to say they "never closed a store"
New store numbers are "pre-assigned" during the real estate process. They might allocate for having (example) T-1234, but because of a number of different reasons, they will not build that store. They don't typically re-use numbers that are cancelled/put on hold.

There’s 2 stores in my region that were built within a month of each other and they vary by over 400 in number. Guess it must of been a big boom in stores in that month lol

In my area, three stores that I know of are numbered in the 200s. These stores were either built or taken over by Target (Gemco) back in the 80s. Three other stores were built new (well, two of them rebuilt) in this century and are in the 2000 range (the original stores of the rebuilt ones were in the 100/200 range).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back