Archived How does YOUR store complete instocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So ever since it started I have strongly disliked this new instocks process (researching every aisle of every department of the store every day). It's not even so much the process I dislike, just the fact that my ETL doesn't feel the need to give us the proper help to do the daily tasks. The new process has increased the workload immensely yet she still insists that just 3 team members is more than enough to have the scans completed before 11am. She even claims other stores are doing it with 2 TM's (I call b.s. on that).
So can some of you fellow instockers shed some insight on the way your store does it and the resources that are available to you? Thanks.

So ever since it started I have strongly disliked this new instocks process (researching every aisle of every department of the store every day). It's not even so much the process I dislike, just the fact that my ETL doesn't feel the need to give us the proper help to do the daily tasks. The new process has increased the workload immensely yet she still insists that just 3 team members is more than enough to have the scans completed before 11am. She even claims other stores are doing it with 2 TM's (I call b.s. on that).
So can some of you fellow instockers shed some insight on the way your store does it and the resources that are available to you? Thanks.

Pretty impossible to get things done on time and done right, has been my experience. We never have enough people either seems like and if we do, we get started to late because of the truck.

It's impossible to do with the hours and the people our instocks team has. The team always scan the most sales driven dept ( p-fresh, consumables,health and beauty ) and the other depts depend our mature % for the day , sales in the dept, and other factors our Instocks tl uses. It works well for us being a volume a store.

We only research new outs everyday and then scan every dot and every new out one day a week. Is this what you do?

Honestly, if my ETL was not receptive to my concerns, I would do a strategic call in on a day I know they wouldn't be LOD. Once they walk a mile in those shoes, they listen pretty quick.

Pretty impossible to get things done on time and done right, has been my experience. We never have enough people either seems like and if we do, we get started to late because of the truck.

I often see in stocks pushing dry market straight off truck on designated truck days. In stocks should be doing their job. Also, STL\ETLs need to allocate flow TMs to push dry, instead of passing the buck to another workcenter.

We only research new outs everyday and then scan every dot and every new out one day a week. Is this what you do?

Yes we do that also but it's a constant struggle do get it done every day. It's pretty much impossible to scan accurately without cutting corners and/or skipping some things sometimes.

This is what we do. Skip cosmetics for everyday scanning. Start before 7:30. Scan while the truck is pushed (yes, we are technically not supposed to do this but it's the only way we can scan). We can do this with two people on "all outs" days. Three people is kind of tough on "all scan" days, however.

We have the PAs shoot research in P-Fresh and Softlines Brand TM shoot research in Softlines, which frees up Instocks to shoot the rest of the store. I know certain days they have 4 people and other days they have 3, but they are usually pretty good about gettig it done, especially when the ETL-Log jumps in to help scan on Wednesdays.

I call BS too. We always have 2 scheduled and then they reallocate (without changing work centers) one of us to flow or backroom. Then we are chastised for not finishing - although the push isn't completed until 10 and backstock, well, hahahahahaha. It's so demoralizing.

Thank you! I was on I instocks until last year, at two different stores. At my old store they always challenged us by saying that the other stores in the district were completing the task list very say by 11am. Then I transfer to a bigger store, and they were simply hitting the 'aisle done' button for any aisle they didn't have time to visit. Which is a lot! To my knowledge they (at my new store) have never successfully scanned the whole store. This was before the switch to all research every day, keep in mind.

As you already well know, the key is to trail behind where FLOW team just finished pushing. If Instocks has to pick and choose aisles through the store, and then try to find those aisles in an infernally uncooperative task list, and deal with a bad zone, theyre cooked.

The good news is: it can be done. Our in stocks team at my old store (3 people) successfully covered the whole store by 11am on a number of occasions. The LODs damned us with faint praise.

In an ideal week: Monday is new outs for the whole store skipping cosmetics, intimate, entertainment, pfresh. Tuesday is new outs in hardlines skipping cosmetics, entertainment, rescan in softlines. Wednesday is rescan in hardlines skipping pfresh, new outs in softlines if there is time. Thursday new outs in whole store skipping cosmetics and intimate. Friday is new outs in whole store including intimate and cosmetics. We usually have 3 scanners from instock, sometimes 4 on hardlines rescan day. The softlines brand team member will scan tables when she is scheduled on the weekdays. She is usually there on rescan day.
That being said, there are days when flow hasn't finished and we just do the rigs or one world is not complete and we skip that etc. Every day is different and we go with it. We usually do not participate in the pushing part of a smarthuddle because we push all day after weare done scanning. Basically we do what we can, when we can.

P.S.- we are an overnight flow store

Last edited:
Thank you! I was on I instocks until last year, at two different stores. At my old store they always challenged us by saying that the other stores in the district were completing the task list very say by 11am. Then I transfer to a bigger store, and they were simply hitting the 'aisle done' button for any aisle they didn't have time to visit. Which is a lot! To my knowledge they (at my new store) have never successfully scanned the whole store. This was before the switch to all research every day, keep in mind.

As you already well know, the key is to trail behind where FLOW team just finished pushing. If Instocks has to pick and choose aisles through the store, and then try to find those aisles in an infernally uncooperative task list, and deal with a bad zone, theyre cooked.

The good news is: it can be done. Our in stocks team at my old store (3 people) successfully covered the whole store by 11am on a number of occasions. The LODs damned us with faint praise.

Was this the all research or the outs/research?

I had major problems in my home store getting the task list done. We ended up repathing our task list which helped, but the major problem was the other IS members were zoning while shooting. We finished tasking maybe twice since the new process rolled out. When I came to my new store(overnight flow instead of 4am) it was totally different. They enforce not zoning, recently have challenged flow on grey dot removal(YAY!) so we aren't pulling a million while we shoot. Most days we don't participate in smart huddle, which at my old store used to take us 1hr+ since other tasking teams would bail on it. We breeze through what we can and usually have between 1-5 TMs on any given day.

There's just me another guy at our ULV 6:00 store with random help from two flow team members on our team. We'd be lucky to do HBA and/or Market on truck days, we mainly just do RIGs (still loving that useless [!] button btw). On non-truck days, three of us scheduled at 8:00 so that the Backroom team can get enough autos pushed so that we can start without scanning anything pulled on those. We had planned on the whole 'rescan day' when it this rolled out, but that never really happened. Some days, our ETL-Log just says something along the lines of 'F it, do stand alone outs' and suddenly we get a bunch of work done.

So to answer the question: My store doesn't complete instocks. Our scans are so horribly low compared to all of the other stores in the district (All SuperTargets btw, yay little us!).

We have our pathing set to follow the flow team. Unfortunately, they rarely finish market (FOOD FIRST!!) before 7:15 so we start 45 minutes behind before we even begin. FDC is never completed before 9:30 and then we have to wait for 20 minutes AFTER it is backstocked before we can scan it. That's simply not enough time. We do eventually catch up, but we are expected to finish 75 tasks per hour. The speed of the PDA (which has become increasingly slower over the last 4 months) and the number of RIGs (which has become increasingly higher - never under 80 for the past 3 months) dictates whether that is going to happen. Our STL was making us scan softlines and cosmetics daily but finally had a moment of common sense, so we don't have to any more. We average around 5000 scans per week. On all-scan day they help us out by not pulling any of our tm's to other work centers and have 1 SBTM in to scan tables. Only 1 tm does the PTM task list - making the pull determination, pulling and PTMing the POG. We are expected to PTM every MPG pog at least once per week whether or not it falls into the task list. Last week I pulled about 1900 d-coded items and worked them to the floor. We also work the store specific ad guide each morning, walk for label maintenance and fill end caps. We have 2 tms - only 1 works 40 hours on instocks. It is a very rare day when our task list can be completed. It doesn't help that we are the only specialty team with walkies so that we know where the push and backstock are completed since that requires us to answer calls and backup cashier during scan time. There are usually only 2 tms scheduled on the salesfloor plus 1 in electronics. None of them come in before 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back