How late is closing duties?

that's awesome... I've suggested it but it falls on deaf ears... we had 3 registers last night off at 10p (me + selfcheck out person after selfcheck out was closed + 1 other) and we're all off at 10p with leads and ETL standing around watching us and they're all off later. I'm so over it.
The other night I, a Style TM, was leaving just after 10 and a FOS/Drive-up TM was punching out at the same time. As we walked out I noticed the other Style closer still ringing on the register while the GS TL stood there with the Closing Lead.How does that work? Why are FOS folks standing around or leaving while Style is ringing?

No. Not having it. These folks up front need to figure their shit out.

The other night I, a Style TM, was leaving just after 10 and a FOS/Drive-up TM was punching out at the same time. As we walked out I noticed the other Style closer still ringing on the register while the GS TL stood there with the Closing Lead.How does that work? Why are FOS folks standing around or leaving while Style is ringing?

You're right, many times other departments come to the front to help out on register because it's only me at 930p with a long line. Last night I asked the ETL for help because the other 2 agents were asked to do other things, and she said she'd open up a register.. I was thinking, 'Respect to the new ETL' .... but she didn't and she disappeared... (now NO respect), the other 2 agents eventually finished their assignment then came back to registers; I came from an industry of everyone pulls their weight and being that I came from the largest company in my previous industry I guess I was just naive on how it works. I've always thought that Target had their $hi+ together being a big corporation.... I notice they promote/hire people to positions that they have no clue to what it entails and then someone that barely knows the job trains the newly promoted person. ..... I had written so much more then I thought I'll save it for when I start theropy....LOL

Full disclosure, I no longer work at Spot, but my daughter does, and she just transferred stores. She just likes to vent to her mom!

At the store we both worked at, I used to close back in 2008-2011 or so. If the store closed at 10pm your shift would say 10:15pm but it was really code for “stay for how long it takes”. Sometimes even as late as 1am.

My daughter started working at the same Target in 2019 and by then they had changed. If the store closed at 10pm, some TMs left at 10pm but some were scheduled until 11pm (the Closers). So you would work an hour after close. Get what you can done. But everyone off at 11pm. Personally, I find this the most fair. The burden shouldn’t be left on closers where everyone else on the dayside gets to leave as scheduled.

Daughter just transferred to a store closer to college. She gave them her availability of 4pm-11pm (she has classes and an internship during the day). And it appears their store is “stay until it’s done” type. Last night was 1:45am and she’s heard it’s been as late as 3am- for a store that closes at 10pm.

That seems ridiculous… up to 5 hours of closing duties???

Yet she says this store’s management is a lot nicer than the management team from our old store.

So it must be something about a store’s culture. At least that’s what I’m wondering.

Honestly I just thought that all of Target corporate just got smart from the time I stopped closing in 2011 and my daughter started in 2019. I didn’t think anyone stayed so late anymore.

Does your store schedule closing for multiple hours after the end of the shift?

What you're describing was killed off years ago as payroll expectations rose and rose. I worked for Target from early 2006 through mid 2016. Stores do not stay that many hours past closing. It may happen once in a blue moon but it's not a regular thing. If any store is doing that on the regular, then there's only a few possible reasons why.

1) That store is absolutely crushing sales forecast to an unreasonable degree literally all of the time. Which I'm pretty sure is not happening in reality because Target would catch up and adjust forecasts upwards and allocate more payroll going forward.

or

2) The "Store Director" as they're now called is purposefully cutting a LOT of hours from other departments every single schedule and banking them with the thought in mind of using them on the closing team which is making the already short staffed team feel even more pressure during the day.

Any other reason that I can think of would be temporary and short lived (would work itself out in a year or less)

That whole "stay until it's done" operation really did die YEARS UPON YEARS AGO. Sometime during Steinhaffel's tenure.

The two CEOs that came after Ulrich have done nothing but lead the company into the ground from a logistics and operations perspective in the name of short term profit.

The real question is at what point does the logistics and operations process break down enough to the point that people stop shopping there? And this is an answer I'm not sure anyone has.

The real question is at what point does the logistics and operations process break down enough to the point that people stop shopping there? And this is an answer I'm not sure anyone has.
Probably about the time were we have spent all of our being the only store open in covid good will. And when the corporate body realizes its become LT Dan.

Did you guys close at 10 that night and all other cashiers already leave? If so then was the GS TL waiting with the money to close down the remaining lanes/SCO’s and the Closing lead waiting to lock the doors after the last guests leave? If so then I understand them not jumping on since they couldn’t leave the money unattended. However, if that wasn’t the case and they were just standing there chit chatting then yeah- shame on them and they need to figure they’re own shit out absolutely.

From a personal perspective, it's already here.

I wanted a calculator for work. But if I'm buying it with my own money it's going to be spiffy, not a $5 calculator. Walking to electronics, I passed by Bath and I was reminded that the dryer recently ruined all our towels. Intention of one item, I didn't have a basket so I figured I'd grab the towels on the way out.

Calculators were locked, I went to the price station and requested assistance three times, leaving plenty of time between. One time the price station popped up with a message of not finding anyone who can assist.

So the lack of someone on the floor in the vague area of electronics and no one answering guest assistance calls, Target lost out on the sale of a calculator and a bunch of towels.

Problem is volume. The loss of my total of probably $150-160 is not enough to hurt. Even if a person an hour walks out, losing Target roughly the same, that's still just a little over $2000 a day. That's pocket change to Target. There's probably far more money lost each hour to scams and theft as part of no receipt returns and everyone know how serious (not) Target takes that.

What you're describing was killed off years ago as payroll expectations rose and rose. I worked for Target from early 2006 through mid 2016. Stores do not stay that many hours past closing. It may happen once in a blue moon but it's not a regular thing. If any store is doing that on the regular, then there's only a few possible reasons why.

1) That store is absolutely crushing sales forecast to an unreasonable degree literally all of the time. Which I'm pretty sure is not happening in reality because Target would catch up and adjust forecasts upwards and allocate more payroll going forward.

or

2) The "Store Director" as they're now called is purposefully cutting a LOT of hours from other departments every single schedule and banking them with the thought in mind of using them on the closing team which is making the already short staffed team feel even more pressure during the day.

Any other reason that I can think of would be temporary and short lived (would work itself out in a year or less)

That whole "stay until it's done" operation really did die YEARS UPON YEARS AGO. Sometime during Steinhaffel's tenure.

The two CEOs that came after Ulrich have done nothing but lead the company into the ground from a logistics and operations perspective in the name of short term profit.

Quoting this all for truth…

I am assuming option 2 is what is happening. The workers feel so much pressure. My daughter was commenting to a coworker about how closing at her old store only took an hour and they replied “that must be so stressful to get done in an hour”

I told my daughter, just wait until Saturday. That “They’ll panic about payroll and you will leave on time”. Nope. They left at 2:15am. We calculated 60 hours of payroll that was wasted on those unscheduled hours for one night.

My daughter went to HR about changing her schedule because this isn’t going to be sustainable for her. They are moving her to cashiering. She’s fine with that… she cashiered/ OPU for a year prior to moving to hardlines. At least now she knows she will be leaving when her schedule says to leave.

Quoting this all for truth…

I am assuming option 2 is what is happening. The workers feel so much pressure. My daughter was commenting to a coworker about how closing at her old store only took an hour and they replied “that must be so stressful to get done in an hour”

I told my daughter, just wait until Saturday. That “They’ll panic about payroll and you will leave on time”. Nope. They left at 2:15am. We calculated 60 hours of payroll that was wasted on those unscheduled hours for one night.

My daughter went to HR about changing her schedule because this isn’t going to be sustainable for her. They are moving her to cashiering. She’s fine with that… she cashiered/ OPU for a year prior to moving to hardlines. At least now she knows she will be leaving when her schedule says to leave.
This just boggles me. I'm pretty sure the latest I ever stayed closing was 2:00am. And that was one time, circa 2014, during peak Q4 when we had 30+ carts of reshop at the end of the night.

Nowadays, our closers stay until 10:30pm at the latest to get OOS done and then they're out. Zoning and reshop just don't happen at night anymore, except in Style and occasionally Toys. Everything else is a problem for the DBO the next morning.

I do miss the days when true recovery happened at night, but constantly asking TMs to stay that late past their schedule is beyond crazy. How much OT is the Closing Leader raking in??

Wow. So when do the closers come in? Ours are scheduled 6-10 specifically so they don’t have to take a lunch.

Ok now I’m just amused. So my daughter’s new store isn’t moving her to cashier afterall. Instead, next week she has a 40 hour week being called “Closing Expert”. She works 1:30-10pm 5x a week for exactly 40 hours. And so (this is wild!) she leaves as soon as the store closes. No more “closing shifts” to stay 2-4 hours.

At our old store “Closing Expert” was someone below LOD that would lead TM s. Think like an SETL on the front lanes. At her new store “Closing expert” just stocks shelves that are low of product. (Forgive me for not knowing all the terminology… I spent 14 years hiding in 239!).

So no more closing shifts. She’s now a closing expert who clocks out nightly at 10pm. Wild!

Well now there is a Closing TL who is in charge of the Closing Experts whose primary job is to do 1 for 1s, out of stocks and abandons from GS. At my store the closing experts only have 4-4.5 hour shifts so for her to have such a long closing expert shift is unusual (at least at my store).

When we officially had one, our closing expert worked 40 hrs from 2-10:30 and was always the last one out of the store with the closing TL. The rest of us there scheduled until 10 always left at 10 unless a "GuEsT" wouldn't leave. Usually a CA was also there a bit late because of guests and helping shut things down up front, they'd also walk out with the TL and closing expert.

Our closing expert worked anywhere they were needed. Someone called off in C&D? That's where they went. Tech, style, fulfillment, etc. If we managed to have a full team they'd do reshop or push/zone where it was needed the most. I miss those days.

We close at 10pm and 1 Closing Expert and the Closing Leader stay til 11:45pm to make sure all 1/1 are done. We are usually out by 11. Nothing drops after 10:30 pm

Back