Archived How many days can I request off while under 90 day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to take about 10 days off. Is there a limit on the amount of unpaid days off I can take? I will still be available to work Saturday and Sundays. I started working in late June with open availability. I start classes on August 28th and my 90 day period at Target ends on September 24th.

I got away with being off for two weeks under 90 days because I had to have ENT surgery.

All it really says in the handbook is that if you take too many days off, they can extend your probationary period. I took 10 days off the day after orientation (this was approved during my interview) for a pre-planned vacation. Talk to your TL without delay.

I'm glad that someone brought this up.

So, I suppose it's bad form to request a specific time/day off during the 90 days?

For example, If I request the 3rd Monday evening off of every month, I'm guessing that would be bad?
I also want to request a Friday evening off in November for something that's been planned for months ahead of my employment.
I'm guessing if I offer to work the day instead of the night that would be ok?

I guess it all have to do with the volume of the store and my management team?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I too have questions about this...and i'd like some thoughts.

Just ask off for the Mondays separately....that would only be three days...completely reasonable. As for the November date, depending on when it is in November, you could wait a bit and be perfectly fine on that as well.

Just ask off for the Mondays separately....that would only be three days...completely reasonable. As for the November date, depending on when it is in November, you could wait a bit and be perfectly fine on that as well.

Thanks for the advice!

I'm just worried about requesting time, and the powers that be looking at it like I'm difficult to schedule, or something like that. Just nervous about that.

I'm under my 90 days right now and I keep requesting days off (it's way before 2 weeks in advance) and they keep denying it. Do we have to let someone know before we request for unpaid days off and do we have to let them know why as well?? I know I should talk to a TL or HR but I haven't gotten around to doing so yet.

I'm under my 90 days right now and I keep requesting days off (it's way before 2 weeks in advance) and they keep denying it. Do we have to let someone know before we request for unpaid days off and do we have to let them know why as well?? I know I should talk to a TL or HR but I haven't gotten around to doing so yet.

Normally, no. If it's something important, I'll put a reason in the box to make it seem more convincing I guess (although I've never been denied anyways). However, because you're under your 90 days and they keep denying you, I would just talk to your ETL or HR.

Lol!! You don't technically have a job yet.. That's like asking how drunk you can be showing up for a drivers exam

No, you don't have too... But if you absolutely HAVE to have a day off, I would bring it up with them. But always put it in regardless... Just in case :)

For example, if I had to choose between 2 TMs and one had spoken to me about needing a day off, and one just put a request through without a reason, the former will get the approval (in cases when I would need one of them there... Otherwise, I would approve almost all other request offs).

Now, when I was an intern, we had a great TM... Real redcard performer, cheery attitude, the kind of person YOU WANT on your team. When she first got there, she was requesting a lot of days off. The ETLHR didn't like it and thought it was unfair to other team members, even when if other team members didn't need that day/time off.

Turns out the TM's son was disabled and the days she was requesting off were to take him to therapy. They still tried performancing her out because of her 'lack of flexible schedule.' But of course, would ride her little things. I tried to stand up for her.. But they still tried to get rid of her under the 90 days.

Here's my philosophy... If you're willing to give up the possibly of being scheduled (and thus, a day's wages) and others can cover for you (or other arrangements made), you should be able to take the day off no matter how long you've been with the company.:: someone will need/want those hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back