Archived how many team members/tl's are in your building during a shift?

Status
Not open for further replies.
how many softlines?hardlines?ETLS? TLS? just curious because at my store sometimes we have more people than needed in softlines, ( 2 TL's, 1 ETLS, 5 tm's) which is annoying and then on weekends theres about 2 softlines team members, no ETLS, no TLS, no AP, no HR and the weekend is the busiest. are any other stores like this? on the weekend, we are SO understaffed. today there was NO ETL's in the building till 11am..the GSA was LOD and didn't seem like she was LOD trained.. shouldnt there always be an ETL in the building?! my store has been cutting hours like crazy especially hardlines even though we NEED more people!! theres never anyone on our sales floor now maybe 2 people and we are a high volume store..so many cash calls today, no one could respond

how many softlines?hardlines?ETLS? TLS? just curious because at my store sometimes we have more people than needed in softlines, ( 2 TL's, 1 ETLS, 5 tm's) which is annoying and then on weekends theres about 2 softlines team members, no ETLS, no TLS, no AP, no HR and the weekend is the busiest. are any other stores like this? on the weekend, we are SO understaffed. today there was NO ETL's in the building till 11am..the GSA was LOD and didn't seem like she was LOD trained.. shouldnt there always be an ETL in the building?! my store has been cutting hours like crazy especially hardlines even though we NEED more people!! theres never anyone on our sales floor now maybe 2 people and we are a high volume store..so many cash calls today, no one could respond

Are you sure it was a GSA and not a GSTL? A Senior-GSTL could be an LOD, but a GSA is not a key holder or a team leader... Did a back room key carrier let you guys in?

During weekdays we usually have multiple ETL's and TL's in the building. Week nights is usually one Key Carrier; and a Team Lead if we have a weak GSA. Weekends We have an LOD (ETL or Sr.TL), a Team Lead on the floor, and the guest service team lead or attendant at all times.

A good day in my store on the weekend is 2 people in softlines (neither are a TL), 2 or so in hardlines (none are TLs), 1 (or 2 if it's a good week) in electronics, 1 person in p-fresh/market (also not a TL). Besides the LOD (who could be a Senior Team Lead or an ETL) there's sometimes 1 TL, but usually not on the sales floor-usually a GSTL, Starbucks TL, or logistics TL-on the weekend at my store.
Weekdays are another story, but it's more ETLs/TLs and usually NO team members in hardlines (just a TL), 1 in electronics, 1 in softlines, 1 in market. Backup cashier calls make me want to bust my walkie against the ground those days.

What level stores are you in? I'm at an A volume Pfresh non-Super Target. We almost always have four hardlines closers, and sometimes a hardlines TL. Usually three or four softlines TLs. There is almost always an ETL in the building, exception being when SrTL is closing LOD. There's about 8 to 10 hardlines team members scheduled throughout the day. Two electronics team members (one closes, one opens), three TMs in market.

I am pretty sure the OP info is not totally clear.

During the week, its typical for ETLs and TLs to work mid shifts and oversee their work centers, complete any needed projects, adjust planograms/fixtures, push product, and office work.

A store must always have a key carrier LOD capable person in the store. GSTLs can be a SnrTLs and work LOD shifts. But I believe another GSTL or GSA has to be present as a SnrGSTL cannot be tied to the front during an LOD shift. TL-Logs can also be SnrTLs. They are usually more in the backroom during their LOD shifts.

I know my last store cut GSTL/GSA hours by having the ETL-HR work GSTL shifts on weekends.

No AP at times is typical at smaller volume stores or large market stores. AP hours have been cut for the last few years. Usually AP teams will work more higher traffic/risk stores, and may occasionally work lesser traffic/risk stores 1-2 times a week.

If any of this was true/correct, your DTL needs to address it now and quick.

@Retail Girl @paidtosmile no it was a GSA.. Not sure what happened that day. There may have been some ETL or STL who opened the store but when I arrived at 9am there was NO ETL or STL in the building.. The GSA was LOD for about 2 hours. There was also a hard lines TL. The GSA as LOD was pretty bad , I felt bad for her. The escalator stopped working and she had no idea how to fix it.this is how I knew she wasn't LOD trained. She went over the walkie and said are any team members or TL's(there was only one hard lines one in the store) trained on fixing the escalator? And no one responsed.. Luckily an ETL arrived around 11.

@Retail Girl @paidtosmile no it was a GSA.. Not sure what happened that day. There may have been some ETL or STL who opened the store but when I arrived at 9am there was NO ETL or STL in the building.. The GSA was LOD for about 2 hours. There was also a hard lines TL. The GSA as LOD was pretty bad , I felt bad for her. The escalator stopped working and she had no idea how to fix it.this is how I knew she wasn't LOD trained. She went over the walkie and said are any team members or TL's(there was only one hard lines one in the store) trained on fixing the escalator? And no one responsed.. Luckily an ETL arrived around 11.
The hardlines TL would have been the highest ranking person in the store if that was the case. Guest Service Attendants are not team leaders, and the GSA would still answer to the hardlines tem lead. GSA's tend to be knowledgeable team members and are comparable to team leads, but they're still below a TL. It sounds like your GSA just happened to be the first to respond to the escalator stopping

Last edited:
The etl log would be the Lod, till others came. Any tl's would be tl lod's.
On the escalator, did anyone ck the the stop button?

Either the ETL-HR/AP/STL was in the office, or there was a key carrier (Sr. HLTL, Backroom TL, Flow TL, etc) who was there.

For the cart escalator, the GSA should've had a key to turn it back on.

Either the ETL-HR/AP/STL was in the office, or there was a key carrier (Sr. HLTL, Backroom TL, Flow TL, etc) who was there.

I'm willing to bet on the key carrier.
Our store has one SrTL BR who fell into that category and there were a few times when it would have looked like there wasn't an ETL in the building until well after the store opened because he would open the store and the other TLs would TLOD.

I'm willing to bet on the key carrier.
Our store has one SrTL BR who fell into that category and there were a few times when it would have looked like there wasn't an ETL in the building until well after the store opened because he would open the store and the other TLs would TLOD.

That was common for our store too.. We'd have a back room Sr. TL as LOD and the other team leads would just run their respective areas. Or for certain sets our Plano TL would be the only lead in the building with us (overnights/4am's/etc)

The *only* time I have ever seen our store be open without an ETL/SrTL/key carrier TL in the building was a couple years ago on a closing shift. The ETL (who was LOD at the time) that night decided it was her perfect time to quit. She walked out the door at some random hour like 8PM and never came back.

Myself (hardlines TL), the GSTL, and a softlines TL were the highest level leaders in the building. Obviously, none of us were key carriers.

It was a pretty pathetic situation as I recall. Between the three of us, we only had like two ETL's phone numbers. One of them never answered the phone, and the other said it was her off day and she wasn't going to come in (our ETLs were a bunch of ass clowns)... even after being told there was no key carrier in the building. Eventually, we called the store about 5 miles away. They had to get one of their ETLs to come in to our store and close for the night.

That was common for our store too.. We'd have a back room Sr. TL as LOD and the other team leads would just run their respective areas. Or for certain sets our Plano TL would be the only lead in the building with us (overnights/4am's/etc)

For a big cosmetics set, a bunch of key carriers were on vacation - so the STL allowed the Plano TL and her team to stay in the building overnight, w/o a key carrier present. It was during Q4, so the building was occupied til 12am and then Flow came in at 4am, but still.

For a big cosmetics set, a bunch of key carriers were on vacation - so the STL allowed the Plano TL and her team to stay in the building overnight, w/o a key carrier present. It was during Q4, so the building was occupied til 12am and then Flow came in at 4am, but still.

Sorry I should have specified, our PPTL is also a key carrier. Not a SrTL, just a key carrier

I think that's okay if the store is closed. But Spot regulations say that an LOD must be present and able to run the store if the store is open. If there is only one LOD on site, and they fall and hit their head and knock themselves unconscious, the TLs (or whoever is left, I guess) would be responsible for clearing all guests out of the store and phoning alert one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back