Archived How should I go about getting cross trained?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so I've been thinking for awhile now about getting cross-trained in some other department so I'm not 100% of the time cashiering. I don't like having to stand in the same place for hours and hours just doing the same thing over and over. I was wondering how some people brought up cross training to their GSTL? And advice as to where I should get cross trained at so I am not so bored.
Thanks in advance! :)

ASANTS but at mine, they rarely cross train cashiers.
I can think of one that's cross trained in food ave, and one that was cross trained for salesfloor and electronics who quit.
I basically was a annoying asshole about it until they finally started having me do softlines reshop until I got my first big girl softlines shift.

tell your etl-ge that you'd like more hrs and you wanna take a sales floor shift on the shift swap board, but you're not trained for it. Worth a shot.

If you're a minor you can't technically close on hardlines, which would be the easiest to learn. You just re shop, do pulls, and zone your assigned sections.

If you're a minor you can't technically close on hardlines, which would be the easiest to learn. You just re shop, do pulls, and zone your assigned sections.
What would you recommend then for me being a minor?

What would you recommend then for me being a minor?
If you can prove yourself by being quick and serious, and not slacking off, you could maybe get some early hardlines shifts. The only thing is that you would have to be trained in setting sales planners which definitely will take some time, so don't think you'd be doing them. Maybe they could let you just reshop and do pulls and guest service on the sales floor, and be a back up responder. You just need to talk to leadership and express you are eager and motivated to learn hardlines. That you want to take on more responsibility. The worst they can do is nothing at all, but at least they know you are interested. If you show up every day on time, work hard and stay later when asked, it can only work in your favor.

Thanks for all the input guys! Do you guys think I would get a better response if a position is posted that I express interest in cross-training in? Salesfloor has been posted in my store...

I wouldn't apply for it, Talk to your etl and express you are interested in the opportunity to be trained to do the hardlines functions. He probably won't give you a straight yes or no; it's good to have him or her aware you are motivated to develop

Talk to your GSTL(s) and say you are interested in working a different position, it's that simple, or it should be unless you have a GSTL that hates you.

Thanks for all the input guys! Do you guys think I would get a better response if a position is posted that I express interest in cross-training in? Salesfloor has been posted in my store...

Absolutely.

I wouldn't apply for it

I didn't even want to apply for it, I just said that I was wondering if they would be more optimistic about wanting to get cross-trained in a position that is actually posted at my store.

I just kept bugging the GSTL about getting cross-trained. So eventually I got GS trained, Hard lines trained, I've done a little work in soft lines, but not much. They're going to train me in photo soon, because they only have like 2 people who know it, and our photo department is always jumpin'.

I've been a pain in my GSTLs's behinds about being cross-trained in GS. I still haven't been formally trained by I am asked to cover lunches and 15s all the time so that's something.

I have asked many times to be cross trained on cashiering, they say they will do it, but it is always too busy.
Any suggestions? I want to go in on my own ti.e and get trained on cashier and zoning. Wasvtold no.
Wth?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back