Archived how should i handle this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in February I was offered a chance to train as a pharmacy technician (clarified tech, not tm). I was told my training would start in March but really didn't happen till April after some bugging of management. I started with 2 shifts the first week 5 hours each. The first day I did Hippa and pse computer training and I was thrown into it, with absolutely no training, I couldn't even take a dropped prescription. The first day went ok because the etl-rd was there and was helpful. The second day was super rough because he wasn't there and in his place was the other pharmacist who had zero patience and expected me to know how to do things. I had to continuously pull techs.away from their work to help me. Again, I have still had zero training past taking in a written script. I could tell by the end of the day that she was frustrated with my performance (did I mention she writes the schedule), I was dismissed politely by myself when the pharmacy team always walks out together. The next two schedules have come out and now I have only two four hour shifts next week and the week after, a single hour and a half shift.

I feel like I left a bad impression, but I haven't been trained so what was I supposed to do? I want to approach the etl but I dont really know what to say, it feels like they've given up on me before I even started. What should I say, I don't like playing the victim or talking bad about senior staff but I feel they are both not helping me be successful and setting me up for failure.

First off, it always helps to use the Target lingo. Express your concerns about not feeling like you were adequately trained for the position, that you were not set up to succeed. You will have to drive home the fact that this was not the example you wanted to give, but that you need a partnership with management in order for your development to grow more. Keep driving the message home, as respectfully as you can, and more times than not the persistence you show will bring them around.

Yep.^^^^^^

Don't be intimidated by anyone.

Back in February I was offered a chance to train as a pharmacy technician (clarified tech, not tm). I was told my training would start in March but really didn't happen till April after some bugging of management. I started with 2 shifts the first week 5 hours each. The first day I did Hippa and pse computer training and I was thrown into it, with absolutely no training, I couldn't even take a dropped prescription. The first day went ok because the etl-rd was there and was helpful. The second day was super rough because he wasn't there and in his place was the other pharmacist who had zero patience and expected me to know how to do things. I had to continuously pull techs.away from their work to help me. Again, I have still had zero training past taking in a written script. I could tell by the end of the day that she was frustrated with my performance (did I mention she writes the schedule), I was dismissed politely by myself when the pharmacy team always walks out together. The next two schedules have come out and now I have only two four hour shifts next week and the week after, a single hour and a half shift.

I feel like I left a bad impression, but I haven't been trained so what was I supposed to do? I want to approach the etl but I dont really know what to say, it feels like they've given up on me before I even started. What should I say, I don't like playing the victim or talking bad about senior staff but I feel they are both not helping me be successful and setting me up for failure.

Im just curious do you have a trainer? In my pharmacy we have an official trainer and Im the unofficial trainer. You should have a learning plan that the pharmacist and tech trainer should be following. Generally the first 3 weeks is to see how well you do with problem solving, interacting with the guest, and learning things quickly.

In my pharmacy the newbies are assigned the front end they do not count or do data entry unless its really slow. We have them do drop off and pickup and our return to stock.
In terms of getting a new script at drop off ask for the name and date of birth of the patient on the rx, write that on the rx. Then ask if they have used target pharmacy before, look them up on pdx if you know how. Then read the rx and check if the drug is in stock. Most of the time the doctor will write the brand name on the rx but when you look to see if its in stock check to see if the generic is in stock unless the patient specifically request brand or if the doctor request brand. Also when you take a rx check the date the rx was written, if its older than 4 months the patient needs a new rx(this is in my state im not sure your state law).

Then check with the tech that is doing entering to see how long the wait time is then tell the guest to come back in 20mins, ie.
If you dont know the answer or how to do any of the things I listed just ask a fellow tech. Always ask a tech before the pharmacist it is more efficient.
Do not hesitate to ask questions because it is better for you to ask a question and get the answer quickly then to take forever and make the guest wait and generally the line gets longer.

But to sum it all up if you are concerned with how you are being trained approach your trainer or ETL-Rx and ask to see your learning plan. If for some weird reason your store isnt following this method, which they should, then you need to be blunt and say hey I dont understand can you repeat that? please go slower? etc. Your team will really appreciate you communicating with them the things that you dont understand.
Outside of work if you have never had pharmacy experience practice brand-generic and generic-brand, directions on scripts like bid, tid, ou, os, etc, and day supply, oh and the general classification of drugs it makes your job easier.
Never feel like you are a pest if your asking questions because alot of times people dont know they are not teaching you properly and I think you will earn alot of respect by communicating versus saying nothing and taking forever helping people.

I dont know if I helped you but if you have any questions dont hesitate to pm me and just remember to breathe and show genuine interest in your work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back