Archived How soon until I'm fired?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I had the pleasure of having someone from AP pull me aside today and talk to me. Apparently I am an actual idiot and have been messing up pretty bad as a cashier the past few weeks. I have been here for about a month as a cart pusher/cashier. They said this is the second time I have done something like this. The first time was I was removing a spider wire from a $60 DVD player but got distracted and never rang it up. They found out when the person went to return it and they said they could not process the refund because it never was rung up in the first place. The second time happened today where a lady brought in alot of baby food so I asked her how many and scanned one then changed the quantity. I guess I must have accidently put in 23 mountain dews instead of baby food and neither of us realised until later when AP said she called about it. They said it messed things up and took about 20 mins to get it all sorted out and now their stock count is messed up. So my question is how long until I am fired? I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be let go once my 90 days are over now. The only thing I might have going for me is I am semi decent at cart pushing and always have them in before closing.

Asants. Some stores use the 90 as an evaluation period and give you 70-80 before making a judgement. Others let you go at the moment they don't feel like you are working out.

Rather than beat you up for your many mistakes I want to encourage you to change their mind.

For starters pay attention, just reading your mistakes it seems you are either a) lacksadaiscal and not aware of your surroundings or b) so nervous about making a mistake that you are making mistakes.

First key will be to show that you arent a lost cause. Start having conversations with your leadership. First apologizing for your mistakes and showing sincere remorse.

Next asking AP how you can partner with them to decrease shortage. Would go a long way in showing you arent a liability or someone working theft from the inside.

C) going above and beyond and giving them a reason to keep you. Whether it's being willing to cut or extend your shift as needed. Letting them know if they need a fill in they can call you. Etc.

I'd stop worrying about when I'm going to get fired and instead focus on doing an amazing job moving forward. You already know AP & your TL are probably going to watch you a little closer when you're on a register so be more careful when you ring and you'll avoid the careless errors. If you're really nervous, get on your A game and get some RedCards. That'll impress

Always (if possible) scan the item before removing any merch protection. And never take a customer's word as fact. You need to actually count the items yourself. I'm not completely against TMs using the quantity button, but you really have to pay attention to what your doing when using it.

The fact AP is actually talking to you shows they want you to improve and develop. I've seen plenty stores mention nothing about mistakes people make in their first 90 days and instead just let them go. Just try to pay attention more.

Also, when you are entering a number for multiple items, be sure they are all the same. I have cashiers who will enter a quantity for 20 cans of cat food with one DPCI when in fact there are several different DPCI's. If a guest goes to return something it will not show up on the receipt.

Also, partner with front end leads and build up your confidence. With practice comes more speed. Focus on accuracy first.

*Always* scan an item before removing a spider. If the barcode can't be easily reached by you, ask a fellow cashier (or GSTL/GSA if they're nearby) to help you scan it.

As for the quantity errors; As much of a pain as it is to ring things like baby food/canned dog and cat food/fruit pouches and soda, it's necessary a majority of the time because of the DPCI issue. The only time I will ever do a quantity ring out for anything is if it's 6+ of the same item or something that I can easily see.

Let me tell you from experience, don't take the spider wrap off until after they have paid. So many times, the credit or debit card is denied and they can't actually buy the expensive item.

Here's how I usually decide how to proceed. I think to myself, "Self. How would you justify this to AP if asked?" That usually answers my question.

And for those who are now wondering, yes, I will refer to myself in the third person on the walkie. Example - "SoCalMama responding for no wait."

As for the quantity errors; As much of a pain as it is to ring things like baby food/canned dog and cat food/fruit pouches and soda, it's necessary a majority of the time because of the DPCI issue. The only time I will ever do a quantity ring out for anything is if it's 6+ of the same item or something that I can easily see.

This is also a way that people get away with items for free. Putting in 20 cat food when they really have 25. Doesn't seem like too much if they're a couple of dollars each, but imagine that happening every 20-30 minutes or so throughout the entire day, in every open check lane, and you start to get a picture of how small things can add up when it comes to shortage/shrink in a store. As for DPCIs...Mixing up DPCIs isn't just extra work for other team members; it contributes to shortage and it affects sales, as well, through inaccurate OH counts in the system.

PROTIP:

Just. Scan. Everything.

Let me tell you from experience, don't take the spider wrap off until after they have paid. So many times, the credit or debit card is denied and they can't actually buy the expensive item.

This.

If they've got multiple items that are similar but aren't the exact same, you might get them scanned quicker by using the hand scanner. That way you can also make sure that you're scanning everything. You should never take a guest's word for how many items they've got because they could have miscounted or could be misleading you. Do not be afraid to take your time, because as another poster said, at this point in time accuracy is more important than speed. Press the button on your register to turn up the sound it makes when it scans so that you can be sure that everything is being properly scanned. Unless they've got an ungodly amount of items that are difficult to scan quickly (like, folders), stay away from K2. As several other posters have mentioned, you should scan items before removing the spiders so that you can be sure you've actually scanned it. This shouldn't be a problem for most items unless the spider wrap is placed over the barcode. Start to turn things around now, and pump out REDcards if you want to remain employed here.

So I had the pleasure of having someone from AP pull me aside today and talk to me. Apparently I am an actual idiot and have been messing up pretty bad as a cashier the past few weeks. I have been here for about a month as a cart pusher/cashier. They said this is the second time I have done something like this. The first time was I was removing a spider wire from a $60 DVD player but got distracted and never rang it up. They found out when the person went to return it and they said they could not process the refund because it never was rung up in the first place. The second time happened today where a lady brought in alot of baby food so I asked her how many and scanned one then changed the quantity. I guess I must have accidently put in 23 mountain dews instead of baby food and neither of us realised until later when AP said she called about it. They said it messed things up and took about 20 mins to get it all sorted out and now their stock count is messed up. So my question is how long until I am fired? I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be let go once my 90 days are over now. The only thing I might have going for me is I am semi decent at cart pushing and always have them in before closing.

Any update?

Any update?

Sorry for the late reply. Not much has really changed as of late. AP hasn't talked to me again about messing up so I think I have done decent so far. Got called in asking to work more hours a few days ago which I instantly accepted. Still working at the company but I don't have my schedule yet for the week after next which will be the true sign if they still want me or not.

I almost never use k2. And I doubt the person even got 23 of the same baby food. It has to be the same flavor and everything for you to use k2. Otherwise you fuck up the numbers and the prices might differ. Then guests are calling me saying the system or some tm at another store said we had 10 jars of peas but we don't because you didn't scan them.

But just try to pay more attention to what you're doing. You'll probably be fine. This girl I thought they'd definitely fire at my store is still employed so anything can happen

Wow you suck as a cashier. Sorry. Just stick to carts, cant you?

ALL CA's should be able to operate a register.

If all a TM can do is be a CA, then that TM needs to be promoted to guest.

As a BRTM I cringed when you said you asked someone else on the count of an item

You should always personally count anything you scan. Even I'm not that lazy.
When sodas are on sale at spot...I stock up. I may buy 10 or more 2liters at a time.the cashier always ask how many. I eill tell them but I also tell them to recount to make sure. That way there is no issue on eithet end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back