Archived How to climb the totem pole?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2nate3

Closing Expert
I was just recently hired at Target as an electronics TM. I am almost 17 and I'll be starting my senior year of high school in about a month. I enjoy the work environment of Target and see it as a possible job to stick with through college. I was wondering what steps I should take as I work at spot and eventually turn 18 in order to move up the totem pole. Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Best way is to start developing as soon as you can and if possible find a mentor that will have your back when you go for better positions. The longer you are there, the more likely you are to be passed up.

Finding a mentor is great advice.

Ask for feedback on how to be better.

Fix problems, make suggestions to improve your area.
I often fix problems and make suggestions to improve my area and they fall on deaf ears. Doesn't seem people have the time to deal with it. We have problems with STS/SFS orders and my ETL-GE and GSTL's don't address them.

First you go to Tasmania.
I recommend having good gear, an excellent guide, and experienced climbing partners.

964-work-Pole1.jpg

article-2526492-1A322E5000000578-347_634x904.jpg
article-2526492-1A3228C200000578-75_306x473.jpg

article-2526492-1A3227E200000578-6_634x664.jpg

I often fix problems and make suggestions to improve my area and they fall on deaf ears. Doesn't seem people have the time to deal with it. We have problems with STS/SFS orders and my ETL-GE and GSTL's don't address them.
Your a recent hire, so likely it will take a while for leaders to trust you. I used to be scared to make "big decisions' but lots of the leaders including ETLs and the STL can trust me with good decisions.

you were just hired so i would give it a few months to see if you still like the work enviornment lol

As pink stated, you're new. It takes a bit for leaders to really see your potential. I suggest giving each shift your all and show some leadership a handful of times. It'll be noticed, and if you find yourself being lost with what to do, ask your lead "where do you need me?" instead of "what do you want me to do?". It just sounds like you're down to do whatever to help.

Go to college. Target is not a career. Use it to develop people skills but know that retail is so volatile. Evaluate your opportunities and focus.

I 100% agree with this. Retail is not a CAREER for a 17 year old to think of pursuing. Retail is dying, while it will never die out completely, jobs will continue to go away and those left will be expected to do everything (sound familiar?). Retail will never go away completely (ok maybe wayyyy of in the distant future) but I feel it is turning into a "Survivor" scenario where only the ones who can "outwit, outplay and outlast" will survive and in the end the prize money is not good. There are way to many non retail jobs out there with better pay and better prospects.

Depending on what you are doing post-HS would help in directing suggestions.

For now, work your area and ask to cross-train wherever possible.

Once you have graduated, you may want to open your availability up and apply for GSA/TL positions. But it all depends on what your life throws at you.

I 100% agree with this. Retail is not a CAREER for a 17 year old to think of pursuing. Retail is dying, while it will never die out completely, jobs will continue to go away and those left will be expected to do everything (sound familiar?). Retail will never go away completely (ok maybe wayyyy of in the distant future) but I feel it is turning into a "Survivor" scenario where only the ones who can "outwit, outplay and outlast" will survive and in the end the prize money is not good. There are way to many non retail jobs out there with better pay and better prospects.
Retail such as Target, is a good job to do while in school. However, agreed with this. Retail does sadly to seem to die, online business taking over the world. Target is a good job for medical, dental insurance and working a little bit to have a little bit of money while in school. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back