Archived How to deal with a rude TL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a TL at my store who can only be described as an asshole. They are not technically my TL, but I do work under them 2x a week. Said TL is rude, talks down to me, and is generally an unhappy person. I don't understand how this person got into a position of leadership. I dread working at the same time as them because they act like you committed a crime when you have backstock. I was working a different work center today and another TL stopped me to ask me a question in the BR. Mean TL comes through the door and says very rudely (not jokingly) "is there a reason everyone is just standing around?". I've resorted to not acknowledging them or greeting them at all because they just make me generally uncomfortable.

I don't know what to do anymore because I have to work with this person 2x a week and I don't even feel comfortable approaching them about anything.

I would also be interested in what y all have to say on this. I'm technically a soft lines team member but during the summer I usually work price change every weekday. The pc/pog TL just seems like they hate everyone and is always angry about something. I'm beginning to hate price change because of it

Again, talk to the ETL.
They may be the ones contributing to said TLs' attitudes or they may not.
TLs should be held to the same standards as TMs in terms of demeanor & attitude.
Behavior like theirs can create a toxic work atmosphere & it's up to leadership to nip it in the bud.

Thank you. I have talked to other TMs and a trusted TL about it. The TMs say "that's just how they are" or "you have to put them in their place, then they'll respect you". I don't find any of that appropriate or excusable, especially for a place like Target. I'm not asking to be their BFF, I'm asking to be talked to like an adult and not like a five year old who colored on the walls. I appreciate your feedback and I will try to talk to my ETL asap!

Again, talk to the ETL.
They may be the ones contributing to said TLs' attitudes or they may not.
TLs should be held to the same standards as TMs in terms of demeanor & attitude.
Behavior like theirs can create a toxic work atmosphere & it's up to leadership to nip it in the bud.
Had a chat like this today, hadn't changed from the previous two. "Change takes time" ugh.

My immediate answer is throat punch. But that's how my day went.

Realistically I talked to etl-hr, and will be following up with ap (safety captain) and my tl about it. I have a witness to the snarky bs that was handed to me today.

If things still don't change in a timely manner I'm thinking hotline. Too many years of foul mouths, disrespect, and sexual innuendos to keep putting up waiting for change. Hoping it might lose some of then their promotions.

Resist the neck snapping reflex.

I know - it can be hard to do...

Oh, I dunno.....
Might be apropos in this instance.
A few years back, I had a younger (hell, they're ALL younger than me) TL treating several TMs like that.
The first (& ONLY) time he did it to me, I raised my brow & said "...exCUSE me?"
I went on to tell him I didn't find his behavior appropriate & it was a poor example of leadership.
He blew me off but toned it down; later I got called in by the ETL-HR.
I told her what I witnessed & what happened; turned out several other TMs corroborated my account.
Nowadays, this wouldn't fly & I'd probably be coached for insubordination.
Part of the reason I'm leaving.

Oh, I dunno.....
Might be apropos in this instance.
A few years back, I had a younger (hell, they're ALL younger than me) TL treating several TMs like that.
The first (& ONLY) time he did it to me, I raised my brow & said "...exCUSE me?"
I went on to tell him I didn't find his behavior appropriate & it was a poor example of leadership.
He blew me off but toned it down; later I got called in by the ETL-HR.
I told her what I witnessed & what happened; turned out several other TMs corroborated my account.
Nowadays, this wouldn't fly & I'd probably be coached for insubordination.
Part of the reason I'm leaving.
Redeye you're leaving the company?

I will start off by throwing the disclaimer out there ASANTS. What works in one situation may not work in others. I can only share what happened in my store and how things are slowly getting better. We had a tl in my store a lot like the OP. He was an ass...everything you asked him...was met with a smart ass answer. You would go to him with an issue..and all he would say is you have to work harder. He made people cry on a daily basis..the people who worked the hardest are the ones he constantly rode and bitched at all the time ....Since, Feb we have had about 15 people quit because of him. These were hard working people who just couldn't deal with his constantly riding them etc Several, people went to the STL and asked why the TL was allowed to treat ppl like that....the STL told them...he really didn't see what the issue was ...and he was getting the job done...so he didn't see the big deal. So, we ( members of the log team) realized that either we were all going to have to quit, put up with his bs. OR stand up for ourselves. We knew ( after talking to the stl) that going to any other leader in the building was pointless....FFWD a couple months . Now, for about the past month you can see quite a change in him...he still needs to work on his communication skills and lil comments that he makes but there has been a change. The changes were brought about in several ways. To start with ,All the people who quit told the HR and Stl why they were quitting ( because of said tl) they also told them that if he kept up he was going to come in one morning to run the truck and he was not going to have anyone there. These same people ALL called the hotline and told them what was going on and the STL refused to do anything about it ....slowly the rest of us started calling . Then done day we went in to work and he ( the tl ) was a changed man...suddenly he was polite...he made a point to listen...people were not crying on a daily basis...the etl log...was there for every truck...and hell even she started being a little more human. The moral of the story is....if you don't feel comfortable going to an etl about a tl....then call the hotline . If enough people do it ...then changes will happen

Thank you. I have talked to other TMs and a trusted TL about it. The TMs say "that's just how they are" or "you have to put them in their place, then they'll respect you". I don't find any of that appropriate or excusable, especially for a place like Target. I'm not asking to be their BFF, I'm asking to be talked to like an adult and not like a five year old who colored on the walls. I appreciate your feedback and I will try to talk to my ETL asap!
You need to get with your etl hr and tell her/him pretty much exactly what you posted right here. Just don't mention the TMs. Leaders prefer issues like these kept as quiet as possible and on a need to know basis so they don't blow up. And you can remain anonymous to the TL if you want, provided the HR etl isn't an ass and wants to keep their job.

Oh, and that hot line is not anonymous. Trust me, it's obvious who called it almost everytime. It's a terrible injustice, but that hotline will get you in trouble in the long run.

Last edited:
Most of the Tl are the same way ,I'm no kiss ass so if they want to be rude I'm going to be the same way .

dealing with rude TL's can be a two way street. On the one hand, I work with plenty of TM's that are slow and talk a lot, so having a team lead that will light a fire under their *ss is needed. I can tell you that it's endlessly frustrating having to work with others who have zero motivation to be efficient and to be good at their job. On the other hand, there are some TL's who simply lack communication skills and abuse their position. This hasn't happened to me yet but if a TL is talking down to me or being unpleasant then i'll simply talk to the Senior TL because I have a good relationship with him. He's fair and impartial and knows the personalities and work habits of the other TL's pretty well. The only way I would go to an ETL is if i'm having problems with a Senior TL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back