Archived How to get a promotion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!
I was hoping to hear your opinion experiences about Target and promotions. I would like to talk about my experience so far and get a feedback from you guys with some related (or unrelated) experiences and comparisons that would make me better understand how to have more chances to be considered for a promotion.
I'll try to be short and clear.
I've been working with Target for a little less than 1 year. I am a FA team member and I started along with other 2 girls and at the same time all the previous workers in FA quit. Since we started we've really taken on as many responsibility as we could. We've have been in charge of ordering, do inventory, talk to vendors, train new TMs all because we don't have a FA TL (which I see as a blessing and a curse). We've have a lot of positive feedback not only from TLs (we get mentioned in huddles for the good job) but also other team members and especially guests. When we were just out of our probation time, one of us three got offered GSA and now she's moved on. Since then, my other coworker and I really tried our best to show that we're willing to train anywhere in the store, learn as much as possible and possibly deserve some kind of promotion. I made very clear to my TL that I wanted to grow and move up and I would do anything to show and prove how much I am worth and she told me that it's great and I need to get "out of FA" as much as possible. She promised she would schedule me for shifts on the front desk as well as cashier so that I could get a better understanding of how things work outside of FA. After that promise, I made it my mission to get as many shifts as possible out of FA but unfortunately I got scheduled for very very few shifts (although I was begging to get more chances) to which I added some "stolen" hours (call out, people giving a shift up etc).
Almost 2 months ago a new position for GSA opened and I applied (along with another group of people) but we were all turned down because according to them we didn't have enough experience to be able to work there. I was really really upset about it especially because I had been working my behind off trying to get more experience. I talked to our ETL HR and she confidentially told me that she would have loved to see me in that position, she thinks I show the right interest and drive, that I am a hard worker and a good match with Target philosophy etc etc.
Fast forward to last week, I informed her that again I wasn't being scheduled for anything else but cafe and next time the opportunity arise I would hate to be turned down for the same exact reason (I'd rather them telling me I am not good enough) and she said she would look into giving me more training hours. Yesterday she approaches me and asks me if I want to train for PFresh to have a chance to me more in the store and get more experience (hell yeah!) so now we're setting up training for that.
According to you wise people, how many chances do I have to actually get any promotion at all? How many chances of growth do I have in this store? Any similar positive/negative experiences you would like to share?
Please give me your opinion, I'll be listening =)

How many chances do you have? As many as there are open positions. I was in Hardlines and wanted to be in AP, I didn't get TPS until my second try. Same with APTL, it took two applications.

My first advice is to find yourself a mentor. A team leader or ETL in the department you want to move up to that will help with your development, and you need development. Even if you're perfect for a position, you need more development. So if you want to be GSA, talk to your ETL-GE, or a GSTL. Sit down with them and talk about you, what are you good at what do you suck at, then put it down on paper and figure out what to do about it.

Solicit as much feedback as possible, ask anybody above you what they think you need to be better at. Accept the criticism, and most importantly do something about it. There's nothing higher-ups love more than an aspiring team member taking their feedback and using it to improve. Also take the initiative on your own. Is there something in FA that doesn't get done as often as it should? Do it immediately. Get the store on your side. Don't just have a team leader or ETL say you should get the position, befriend cashiers and make them all want to work for you. Try to show that you're the best at what you do. Despite some unfortunate experiences for a lot of team members both here and in the stores, the cream does eventually rise to the top

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back