Archived How to get an "O?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my review yesterday. I knew the score I would receive, so I wasn't unhappy. I got an EX. Which is great. And I got a raise.

My question/concern is ... How does someone get an "O" for attendance? Here is my gruff about it:
1. I have open availability except for Sunday morning between 9am and 1 pm. I even come in 4am to 9am on Sunday to put up street dated signing when they need it.

2. I have called off 3 times in 9 years.

3. Late once in 9 years

4. Never leave early unless asked to

5. And for Black Friday, this was my schedule.

Wednesday - 5:30 - 1pm truck and backroom ... 8pm to 4am (on Thursday) to set signing and organize floor pallets

Thursday - back at 7pm til 4am (on Friday) backroom and signing

When I ask how to get an O, this is the answer I get. "Well, it wouldn't change your overall score." That isn't what I asked. I asked what I had to do to get an O for attendance. Oh, maybe that is why. If you can't even understand a simple and straightforward question, maybe you can't write understandable reviews.

Have your store make 15% profits for the year and be green in all departments?

I will give my TMs an O for attendance if they had zero negative attendance markers for the entire year. I have never given an O...

The review system is one of the most broken review systems..... They have leaders sit in a room and say what is so and so. "They are EX, or E, or IE" month or so later they actually give the leaders the reviews to write and they have to give you scores that some how come out to be your overall score. So your scores will struggle to always reflect how you should really score in a category. One year the STL hated me and forced my TL to give me an E but when I got the review there were O's EX's all over the place and very few E's yet my score was an E... There math was way off. The review process is a joke and I doubt most people are ever truly given a real honest review

They have to score you in categories that are hardly even a part of your core roles and have nothing to do with your day in and day out workload.

Reminds me of a college class I took, and we nailed the group project from start to finish, report, presentation and all....the teacher gave us a 'C' on the presentation (which most of the class agreed was the best of all the groups) because "He had to ding us somewhere"....of course, he had to ding the part that accounted for 30% of the class grade.....

Last year none of the individual checkboxes added up to my score. also the comments didn't reflect the boxes. i said that the boxes were clearly checked off arbitrarily and my ETL HR said that it didn't matter what the boxes said, that the score wouldn't change.

honestly our review system is insulting. its bad enough that the raises are a joke - they can't even give you the dignity of an honest review.

They have to score you in categories that are hardly even a part of your core roles and have nothing to do with your day in and day out workload.

Totally. Like writing Vibe Cards and Recognition. I give Verbal recognition as the act happens or at huddle. I dont waste my time writing 1000s of vibe cards

Whoops. My lack of computer skills is showing...

Anyway, yeah, they're all over me to write more cards out, too. My thing is also to thank the person who helped me, did a great job, or did whateverthe4(_)?1< they were doing verbally at the time.

Clearly, not enough....

The specific categories do not matter at all.
I'm going to repeat it and bold it this time.
The specific categories do not matter at all.

Your score is picked a long time before the review is written. The checkboxes are just filled in to match the review.

Well then, stupid rules, if I may be so bold to ask, why do you suppose they even do it that way? If they do not matter, why even break the reviews down that way?

Well then, stupid rules, if I may be so bold to ask, why do you suppose they even do it that way? If they do not matter, why even break the reviews down that way?
Despite not being asked specifically ( so please forgive if I'm butting in where I don't belong where precise input is concerned), if I am interpreting correctly, the implicatoin is that your overall impression of worthiness as an employee ( as well as superficial factors-your appearance, style, outward displays of cheerfulness be they real or manufactured ) is determined by leadership LONG BEFORE review time, and therefore factors into the equation and can even sometimes trump the actual review categories...thereby affecting your review one way or another.

( Then again, I'm jaded-I was hired for front end at Spot at the same time as a young lady....ehhh...we'll say in my same general demographic group. This proved to be problematic for me, as I was frequently mistaken for this young lady, and conversely she for me ( not a prob for her so much. ). The reason this was a problem for ME was that this young lady was quite given to slacking off, calling out, etc. She went on to another gig. I stayed. This wasn't an issue at all in reviews, yet the impression was still cemented by many members of leadership that I was interchangeable with this girl, and thusly, to her attributes. Thank Heaven at least our GSTL could tell us apart....yet this hindered me for quite awhile in cross-training, etc. I wish I were having a go at you over this, but I'm not even kidding... )

P.P.S.-FWIW, my first review was an E, and still managed to get a nine cent raise. My GSTL visibly cringed...

I believe in order to receive an "O" for attendance, the following must be met:

1) Punches in on time (5 min. past scheduled time is considered late)

2) Is out on the floor immediately following punching in and getting necessary equipment (let's say 2 min. following said punch), ready to start working (usually grabbing reshop immediately from Guest Service or partnering with your TL or ETL as to what to focus on first)

3) Going on and returning from break on time - communicate with the TL and/or LOD as to when you are leaving for break/lunch and when you are back on the floor

4) Punching out on time - not working past schedule w/out LOD approval (you will show up on a report if you punch out 15 min. after you are supposed to)

This is how I score my team on their attendance and if you look at the review, that's what's included.

I believe in order to receive an "O" for attendance, the following must be met:

1) Punches in on time (5 min. past scheduled time is considered late)

2) Is out on the floor immediately following punching in and getting necessary equipment (let's say 2 min. following said punch), ready to start working (usually grabbing reshop immediately from Guest Service or partnering with your TL or ETL as to what to focus on first)

3) Going on and returning from break on time - communicate with the TL and/or LOD as to when you are leaving for break/lunch and when you are back on the floor

4) Punching out on time - not working past schedule w/out LOD approval (you will show up on a report if you punch out 15 min. after you are supposed to)

This is how I score my team on their attendance and if you look at the review, that's what's included.

I disagree completely. 100%.

If someone meets all four of those criteria, their score in the attendance category should be an E. I never, ever, ever gave higher than an E for attendance. Perfect attendance (defined quite well by your criteria!) is NOT going above and beyond expectations--it is the expectation.

Now, if the final score was actually based on the category scores, so that giving someone an E on attendance might risk bringing their overall score down, maybe I'd have looked at it differently. Probably not, though--I'd just have been a bit more generous on a different category to make up for it.

I don't understand PTL. How then would someone ever get an O for attendance? Don't you think it's a little odd that there is a spot there for it then given what you think. I hate to sound smarmy, but it's Target's review process, not yours. Not that I think it is an actual review anyway, but I just had to get that out.

Please explain under what circumstances you WOULD give an O for attendance. And please don't say you never would, or that it hasn't happened, or won't happen. And it is possible and doable because it is on the review form.

By all means decline to answer but do not answer a different question. But I would appreciate heaing your thoughts on this.

What's sad is that for my first 3 years at Target, I did an O for attendance and an O overall. Then suddenly, poof, there it went.

As I said, there are no circumstances in which anyone deserves more than an E for attendance. Look at the definitions/descriptions for EX and O, and it clearly doesn't make any sense to suggest that someone has earned either of those in the attendance category. Perfect attendance is the baseline expectation, and since you can't be better than perfect, you clearly can't exceed expectations in that category.

Of course people (other than me) regularly do give out EX/O in that category--that's just more evidence of how meaningless the individual category scores are/how little thought goes into reviews.

For what it's worth, I wrote half a dozen O reviews and something like twenty EXs in my time as a TL. Not one of them had better than an E for attendance, and that didn't hurt them at all.

Last edited:
As I said, there are no circumstances in which anyone deserves more than an E for attendance. Look at the definitions/descriptions for EX and O, and it clearly doesn't make any sense to suggest that someone has earned either of those in the attendance category. Perfect attendance is the baseline expectation, and since you can't be better than perfect, you clearly can't exceed expectations in that category.

Of course people (other than me) regularly do give out EX/O in that category--that's just more evidence of how meaningless the individual category scores are/how little thought goes into reviews.

For what it's worth, I wrote half a dozen O reviews and something like twenty EXs in my time as a TL. Not one of them had better than an E for attendance, and that didn't hurt them at all.

i disagree. i have a tm with "green" attendance across the board. plus, he stays over his shift when needed. he stayed late and helped me with pricing when that team ran out of hours. he stayed and got carts. he came in multiple times on his off day to push truck and stayed until the reshop was done. he never minded if i asked him to change his schedule because our workload got screwed up or stuff didn't come in like it was supposed too. he got an o in attendance. and honestly, if you have a tm who has perfect attendance, they deserve an o by default. if you pull the binder/report/whatever your store does, i guarantee you may have 1-2 tm at the most with perfect attendance, and they deserve a great score.

it sounds like a lot of stores need to do some "level setting" with reviews. it is true that you have to be within budget, but it has to make sense. every review i gave had personal feedback. i save recognition/coachings throughout the year and every one is included in the review. plus, its a TEAM effort. meaning, if your store didn't make sales, payroll, or safety, then you failed your objectives regardless if you are a tm or an stl and gives the district an excuse to lower your overall budget. i fought for my tm, gave out 2 O from my team alone, and those two tm deserved it according to leadership in the store. they were recognizable to all tl/etl/stl as a top performer. remember, E is 100% daily. EX means you are going above and beyond. O is usually reserved for hipo (not necessarily on a promotional basis, but these guys have mastered their craft).

There are other categories where I would choose to recognize people for the things you're identifying (staying late, coming in when called, changing schedule, etc). It's been over a year since I last wrote a review so I can't recall the specifics, but I'm thinking of the categories dealing with being a team player, etc. I definitely gave people credit for those things--I just don't consider them part of attendance.

And you're right, almost nobody has perfect attendance. That doesn't mean that we should say they're going well above and beyond expectations just because they're the best in the store; instead, it means that we should be docking everyone else. As you said, it's a matter of "level setting," but your suggested approach is setting the expected level of attendance at something below perfect, which is not okay in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back