I'm Lost! How to process expired food (juice, granola bars, etc)

How does one process expired (ready to eat) foods like granola bars etc. Normally I just give it to guest service, but when I have a full cart of expired stuff I would like to do it myself. Is this where QMOS comes in or is this under defect??? Where does the expired stuff go after we process it in the system?

Defect will tell you how to process it: some items can be donated and others will be toss.

We have a QMOS To Be Processed container at my store. We don’t process any of the food (besides obvious defect), we just put it in the container and let the Market Team know we put food in there. They know what can be donated and what needs to be tossed.

When we cleaned up the candy aisle some time before there was a whole bunch of expired candies . My assumption was if it’s expired just toss it. But no, they all went for donation!! I didn’t feel it good though. If you don’t want to eat an expired item then how can you donate it ??

A lot of expiration dates are actually Best Buy dates. So the food isn’t truly expired and bad, but it’s not at its optimal level either. The market team knows what’s true toss and what can be donated out. Don’t worry about feeling bad for giving down on their luck people a bunch of moldy old food, that’s not the case. If an item has truly gone bad it will end up in the compactor.

Under defect most food can be processed by quantity and there is also a fast scan option. There are some that must be processed under defect that will ask you to link with a printer. Also some foods like cooking oils are Esim so never toss those. During processing you can determine if its donatable or not. Even if it comes up donate you should always try to donate with integrity. Dont donate food that's expiration date makes its safety questionable.

When we cleaned up the candy aisle some time before there was a whole bunch of expired candies . My assumption was if it’s expired just toss it. But no, they all went for donation!! I didn’t feel it good though. If you don’t want to eat an expired item then how can you donate it ??
In a previous job, I worked with someone who volunteered at a food bank. They'd accept some kinds of food with an expiration date already past, as long as it wasn't too long ago. And I've used things in my own cupboards well past the "best by" date - they're fine. Manufacturers build in some extra time for people like me. I don't do that with things like meat or produce, but canned soup or candy? Sure.

Second that about 'best by' dates.
We volunteered at our local food bank for years & past BB dates were always accepted provided there was no exterior packaging damage.
They wouldn't accept candy tho, as it had to have nutritional value hence candy always wound up in the break room or HR's candy jar.

We have compost bins at my store, nothing ever goes in compactor. Donate or compost bins.
We dump liquids like milk/juice and recycle the container.
We have a space for dry donations, and market is called for their refrigerated/fresh/frozen donations at time of food bank arrival.

We have compost bins at my store, nothing ever goes in compactor. Donate or compost bins.
We dump liquids like milk/juice and recycle the container.
We have a space for dry donations, and market is called for their refrigerated/fresh/frozen donations at time of food bank arrival.

That is cool!

We have a QMOS To Be Processed container at my store. We don’t process any of the food (besides obvious defect), we just put it in the container and let the Market Team know we put food in there. They know what can be donated and what needs to be tossed.

Ok but how does the Market Team do it? One night, there was no one in market and I was tasked with removing some expired yogurt. I just defected it and did override to toss on all of them, but then someone asked me if I did qmos. I've heard of it, but I have no idea how.

Ok but how does the Market Team do it? One night, there was no one in market and I was tasked with removing some expired yogurt. I just defected it and did override to toss on all of them, but then someone asked me if I did qmos. I've heard of it, but I have no idea how.
Defect/qmos same thing. If you defected it, yes you did qmosed it. Qmos is a older term, that was for perishable goods. Target has tried to make things simpler by combining chargebacks/defects into one "defect" button, now you can defect anything from shampoo/lamp/toys/perishables etc....all with one button.

You’re going to want to partner with your F&BTL about that to see if they even want someone outside of Market doing it. It isn’t about the process, it’s just the knowledge of what can be tossed versus donated.

We have a rack in each of the coolers. Unless something is really moldy, it gets donated even if it says destroy. Even a case of moldy strawberries can get donated if the mold is on just one berry. We have food banks that come three times a week to collect. It is always better to donate than throw it away and waste food. Bananas are the only exception since they turn so fast. They become too brown by the time the food banks come so we end up tossing them.

Last edited:
We donate all produce that is not exposed to the elements, although we do donate the apples in net style bags. We donate bakery. We donate all fresh meat and bacon as long as it is frozen on time. As far as dry food, we donate as long as food is not exposed to the elements, regardless of how expired it is. We let community food bank determine if they will use or not.

In a previous job, I worked with someone who volunteered at a food bank. They'd accept some kinds of food with an expiration date already past, as long as it wasn't too long ago. And I've used things in my own cupboards well past the "best by" date - they're fine. Manufacturers build in some extra time for people like me. I don't do that with things like meat or produce, but canned soup or candy? Sure.
I've got dried beans pushing a year expired, and some spices pushing three years. A lot of glass contained sauces, I'll let it go a couple months.

I'm one of those people who just can't bring themselves to eat expired food. Whether it says Sell By or Use By or even For Best Quality, I won't eat it. Now, I have eaten expired food a few times by mistake and been fine, but if I know it's past its prime, in the trash it goes.

I've got dried beans pushing a year expired, and some spices pushing three years. A lot of glass contained sauces, I'll let it go a couple months.
Same with dried beans and the like. And I have some way old herbs and spices, which are usually ok. Always do a sniff test before I use them though, make sure they're not too stale. I used to do a whole lot more cooking than I do now, so I try to buy them in smaller quantities. Things that have a high fat content, like peanut butter, don't keep so well. Nothing like rancid PB or oil! Bleh.
'm one of those people who just can't bring themselves to eat expired food. Whether it says Sell By or Use By or even For Best Quality, I won't eat it. Now, I have eaten expired food a few times by mistake and been fine, but if I know it's past its prime, in the trash it goes.
The only time I ate something old and regretted it was some bacon that had been in the freezer. Must be I didn't throw it in the freezer before it went bad because it hadn't been in there that long. Thought the off taste was because it had been frozen (some foods, like cured meats, can end up tasting different upon thawing), but nope, it was definitely not good. Won't make that mistake again! And I still love bacon!

My mother had the same thing happen with some kielbasa. Bought it, threw it in the freezer as soon as she got home, and cooked up half of it a few days later. My father discovered the other half covered in mold in the fridge later that day!

You’re going to want to partner with your F&BTL about that to see if they even want someone outside of Market doing it. It isn’t about the process, it’s just the knowledge of what can be tossed versus donated.

I did that. I work at GS. We defect all perishables and donate non-perishables. He said to use my work, hit defect, override to toss if I think it needs to be thrown away, select quality as my reason, and put in the amount I'm defecting. So the process is the same, but your hitting quality.

Back