Archived How to react when you encounter deaf or HoH guests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I searched the forums for another thread pertaining to this subject but came up with nothing. If there's another thread on it that I missed, I apologize.

So, I thought I'd bring this up since I've worked several jobs in the past and encountered deaf or hard of hearing customers in all of them. I know that I know how to react, but I have the feeling that most people don't so, I thought it might be helpful to make a "guide" of sorts for these interactions. In my orientation I was pleasantly surprised when my ETL-HR had mentioned a few points on encountering deaf customers and how we should be polite and help them any way we can (like grabbing a notepad and a pen), but it really needs to go a little further than that since that's usually the least of the problems with the communication barrier. Everyone knows to be polite whether they're tending to a hearing, deaf, or foreign language speaking customer.

First and foremost, treat them like any other customer. They do not view being deaf as a handicap and shouldn't be treated as such. You don't need to be apologetic for them being deaf. Can you imagine how many times a day they encounter hearing people and get that apologetic "I feel so sorry for you!" look? They aren't lesser because they can't hear. They have a native language just like you do and it is your responsibility to go out of your way to communicate with them, not the other way around. Keep a small pad and pen in your pocket during your shift, just in case so you can help them as best you can.

If a customer comes up to you pointing to their ear and then holds out a paper that reads something like "hello, I'm deaf. Can you help me find X item." Just smile and nod happily. Again, don't apologize, just keep a happy demeanor and write down that you can show them where it is or to give you a moment to find the item for them. Your body language is crucial. They are adept at reading visual cues and body language. If you roll your eyes or look rushed, they can tell, and you are being very rude by doing so. If you were doing something else when they approached, stop whatever it is you were doing and turn your body facing them. This lets them know that they have your attention. If you need to answer someone over your walkie or look something up in your myDevice, point to it and let them know you need to look something up or answer a call. If someone calls your name from across the aisle or section, make sure you write down or give them the "one sec" sign so that they know your attention is not on them for a second. This is a big deal because when you look away from them or make a motion with your hands to someone else, they are taking in all of that information, if it's not directed at them and they think it is, that can be very confusing.

Do not ask if they can read lips, most cannot accurately in a visually distracting environment, especially if they approached you and are signing something to you. Although, if they do read lips, always keep your face looking at them and don't shake your head too much. (Don't make assumptions about them, you never know which form of communication will be best and if you're unsure, just ask them what form of communication is easiest for them) This has been a new way that deaf and hard of hearing people are going about asking for help so that the pressure is on you to go out of your way to help them, not the other way around. Remember how I said to keep a pen and paper handy? That's the time to use it. If anything, apologize that you do not know sign language. You are equal people that speak different languages, we are just lucky this accommodation exists for these interactions unlike other foreign languages.

Some things you could do to make these interactions go a little smoother:

Learn some ASL, or at least some basic ASL signs pertaining to customer service/retail and finger spelling (also the signs for things like "I know basic sign language" or the signs for "a little" then fingerspelling "PSE" or "ASL"). This goes a long way with a deaf or HoH customer and will keep them coming back to the store. The deaf community is very tight knit and if one of them has a great encounter, like the employees at a certain store making a concerted effort to communicate, they will tell others. You won't believe how happy they are to learn that you can sign even if it's only the bare basics. They will be patient even if you have to sign slowly, they can adjust their mode to what your knowledge level/speed is (think of if you are talking to a customer and their 6 year old asks you a question, you'll change your speech mode to a level the child understands and then change back when you address the parent again, same concept.)

If they are signing too quickly or you feel that you aren't signing fast enough, grab your handy dandy notepad and paper, don't get frustrated. Remember, they are reading your body language, so if you are frustrated, odds are that it's written all over you. What I mean by that is, if you start shifting your weight a lot, tapping your foot, looking around uncomfortably, grabbing your forehead, etc. they can tell you are getting frustrated. Keep a happy demeanor and do your best to help them find what they need.

There are tons of resources for learning basic ASL out there. Youtube is probably one of your best resources for this. In particular, Rochelle Barlow <--- Rochelle Barlow has a fantastic series called "Learn ASL in 31 Days" that is great for learning the basics (although, you can skim them in the length of one afternoon). For harder concepts she does use her voice, but for the most part you'll need to utilize the captions to know what she's signing. This is how it usually is in foreign language classrooms anyway.

If anyone has some things to add, by all means let me know and I'll edit accordingly!

Last edited:
Two signs I used a lot at my SB counter was 'help' (L hand flat palm up, R hand fist on top, raise them together) with a questioning look & 'sorry' (R fist to the chest making a circle) if I couldn't understand their request. I always kept paper & pen at my counter.
I knew a few other short-hand signs but HoH guests frequently use their phone with their order typed out.
Red Buffalo is right: expression means everything when conveying attitude & NEVER assume an HoH guest doesn't read lips. You might be terribly surprised.

Guess I should have mentioned that as well, thanks! I learned most of what I know from the anti-lip reading side of the controversie so that's a very valid point.

For many years my store was lucky enough to have a guest service team member that was fluent in ASL. On her name badge it said "I Sign" and it made it very easy for us to help Deaf guests because she could communicate with them easily.

In other cases, all it really takes is patience, a friendly face and a pen with a piece of paper.

or many years my store was lucky enough to have a guest service team member that was fluent in ASL. On her name badge it said "I Sign" and it made it very easy for us to help Deaf guests because she could communicate with them easily.

In other cases, all it really takes is patience, a friendly face and a pen with a piece of paper

I probably should put "I Sign" on my name badge as well, that's such a great idea. Only me and my ETL-HR know ASL in my store.

If you want to be real PC, use person-first language. This applies to everyone. "Person with hearing loss" instead of deaf person or "Child with autism" instead of autistic child.

If you want to be real PC, use person-first language. This applies to everyone. "Person with hearing loss" instead of deaf person or "Child with autism" instead of autistic child.

So what's the PC term for someone that never had hearing to lose?

Guess I should have mentioned that as well, thanks! I learned most of what I know from the anti-lip reading side of the controversie so that's a very valid point.

No problem. I have lost most of signing she taught me, but that I have not forgotten 20 years later.

No problem. I have lost most of signing she taught me, but that I have not forgotten 20 years later.

I wouldn't be able to forget that either, I actually chuckled a little bit when I imagined that scenario in my head. I'm by no means fluent in ASL, actually, broken SEE/Pidgin is probably a closer description of what I can do, but that alone closes the language gap a great deal enough to allow for a conversation without the need for a pen and paper and make their experience at the store a little more positive.

Isn't "thank you" when you touch your fingers on your right hand to your lips and then move/rotate your hand down and away from your mouth? Even if that's the only thing I know, it seems to bring a smile to their face.

Isn't "thank you" when you touch your fingers on your right hand to your lips and then move/rotate your hand down and away from your mouth? Even if that's the only thing I know, it seems to bring a smile to their face.

No, that is the sign for "bad". You keep your palm open facing up as you bring it down.

Having a child with a cognitive disability, I learned a smattering of ASL for visual speech prompts.
A few like milk, juice, more, wait, yes/no I still remember.

Lol nevermind I guess I didnt understand what you meant by rotate. You dont rotate your hand at all, you just bring your hand down away from your face as if you were handing them something

It's also worthwhile to emphasize that your fingers are brought to somewhere between your lower lip and the top part of your chin. If you start that sign from below the level of your chin, you're saying "F*ck you" :eek: could make for the rest of the conversation being really awkward. haha

I had a cashier who was hard of hearing. She used a hearing aid, but she could read lips very well. I would often bring her over and ask her to assist.

I had a cashier who was hard of hearing. She used a hearing aid, but she could read lips very well. I would often bring her over and ask her to assist.
Some can and some can't. A lot of the time it depends whether the person was born with hearing and became deaf later on or born deaf/HoH. Either way, a good way to show how difficult it can be to read lips and absorb all the information presented, especially in a very visually distracting environment, is to turn on the news and mute the tv, see how much of it you can pick out with all the tickers and scrolling text everywhere to distract you.

I wouldn't be able to forget that either, I actually chuckled a little bit when I imagined that scenario in my head. I'm by no means fluent in ASL, actually, broken SEE/Pidgin is probably a closer description of what I can do, but that alone closes the language gap a great deal enough to allow for a conversation without the need for a pen and paper and make their experience at the store a little more positive.

I was maybe 19 at the time and she didn't suffer fools so I knew that was a sign she liked me. We got along great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back