Archived How to tell a TM to shower cuz they stank

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a TM that smells really bad from 10ft away. I MEAN BADDD. Like homeless and never showered in a month bad. Not the normal sweat smell. I thought, okay, maybe he'll take a shower sooner or later, but nope. Still smell the same all week.

What would be the best way to let the TM know? I hate to offend and hurt feelings

We have a TM that smells really bad from 10ft away. I MEAN BADDD. Like homeless and never showered in a month bad. Not the normal sweat smell. I thought, okay, maybe he'll take a shower sooner or later, but nope. Still smell the same all week.

What would be the best way to let the TM know? I hate to offend and hurt feelings
Talk to HR or their TL. Not eveybody doesn't shower, sometimes there are other factors contributing to the smell.

Leave an anonymous note on his car. It can be as gentle or as mean as you want.

I have never encountered this problem. Except I do have a TM who has man boobs and for some reason his nipples are always hard and it bothers me just a tiny bit. Other than that my crew is clean and smells like roses! But yeah I would mention it to someone maybe they can have a "private discussion" with them about it.

I have never encountered this problem. Except I do have a TM who has man boobs and for some reason his nipples are always hard and it bothers me just a tiny bit. Other than that my crew is clean and smells like roses! But yeah I would mention it to someone maybe they can have a "private discussion" with them about it.
But does he have the flow man boobs issues where their shirts get extra dirty over their boobs and gut? *shudder*

But does he have the flow man boobs issues where their shirts get extra dirty over their boobs and gut? *shudder*
No he just has boobs with hard nipples. I do wonder though about boob sweat. If it becomes an issue like how do you even deal with that? "Man some people on the team have been complaining..."

When I worked overnight, I had a couple of those on my team. Whenever we were in HBA, I was tempted to spray them with Axe or something.

Try to get leadership to have a group huddle, and make broad encouragements. I work with a guy who walks to work many miles. Some days it's horrible, and I can only imagine how he feels. He's doing his best, so you can't really fault him if his deodorant fails him or he didn't have time to wash his clothing. At the huddle, I'd just say we should to take appearance more serious. This way, even if he is the only one, he won't feel singled out.

(He or she)

Talk to HR or their TL. Not eveybody doesn't shower, sometimes there are other factors contributing to the smell.

Quoting this so folks will notice it.

There are people with body conditions where it doesn't matter how often they shower, how much deodorant they use, etc. they are going to still smell.
I work with a couple at DVR.
Do you have any idea how hard it is to get a job when you walk into an interview under those conditions?

Anyway, talk to HR before you jump to any conclusions.
They supposedly have training in this stuff and Spot can get sued for harassment if it's done wrong.

Just start saying, "What's that moist smell?" and when they walk away say, "Huh, it's gone now." He'll catch on eventually.

Anyway, it is actually worth going to HR about. It's a legitimate issue despite the sensitivity of it, but let them handle it. Like it was stated above, there's no way to know what the circumstances are. I dealt with this at another job I had a few years ago. There was an elderly worker whom always smelt of urine and mildew. I never reported it because I didn't think it was appropriate at the time, but I'm sure someone else did. Turns out he had less than ideal living conditions, so clean laundry and a place to shower were hard to come by. Just a sad situation. I left that job before finding out what happened though.

I'm opting for tell him yourself, it may be temporarily awkward but it beats telling HR who will address him and make him feel embarrassed that so many people know and have been talking and possibly joking about him privately. The anonymous note on the car would kind of make him paranoid from not knowing who wrote it. I would say tell him yourself or write a note, signed, so you don't have to do the face to face. Then maybe he'll thank you the following day for discreetly letting him know and hopefully you two can remain cool.

I only suggest these if he's a pretty nice guy, if he's a** do it how you want.

We termed a woman for smelling like cat pee. Ended up terming for poor job performance and tardiness.

In our area it's a cultural thing so talking to the TM personally about hygiene would be a hotline call / harassment. The ETL ( which I would push this on HR) could give a huddle on general hygiene needs but our foreign TMs tend not to wear deodorant. It smells like they haven't showered but it's just from a day of sweating. Or they could be homeless. I had homeless TMs. Tough call. Personally I would address it through HR.

We had a cashier at the store when I first started at Target that was like this. It was handled by HR and it turned out she had all kinds allergies including soap and deodorant. It being a medical issue their was nothing that could be done. So, whatever you do, do not speak to the TM yourself. That could get you in all kinds of hot water. Let your store leadership handle it.

take it up with your TL. there could be a general discussion during huddle about hygiene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back