How would cross-training into Style/Softlines work?

I've been working self-checkout for all of my shifts for two years or so and I'm getting fed up with my ETL-SE's demands about getting guests to sign up for Target Circle and the constant confusion over cleaning the registers. I am hoping to cross-train in another department(preferably Style, but I'm open to other departments as well). I'm guessing that I would have to talk to the Style team lead, but I was also wondering if my ETL-SE has any input about this. I'm pretty sure he would hate to lose me or have me working in another work center since he only schedules me at self-checkout so I'm worried that he would not allow me to cross-train and he would let the Style team lead know that he doesn't want me to be there.

I know some about DBOs from reading about it on here, but I don't know if that affects Style. I'm wondering if most work centers now demand that their team members only be scheduled in their particular work center and how that affects team members trying to cross-train.
Edit: I feel like the DBO model mostly is for other departments like Market, Chemicals, Seasonal, etc. but I could be wrong and Style could fall into that as well.

It's gotten to the point where I'm considering applying at another nearby retailer but I know that if I "threaten" to leave, HR will probably terminate me and I'll be left without a job. I don't want to do that and burn bridges but I need a reprieve from dealing with self-checkout all the time so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
Since you have been working in your workcenter for so long i would try and spin in into a positive suit like you want to learn more areas of the store to help the store out since your a veteran tm. Just be aware the grass is not always greener on the other side amd the demands of tms in these other areas are probably more demanding. Sometimes a new area allows you get out of the funk you are feeling though soni think you should give it a shot. Just beware that the other etl would have to approve of you switching so if youbhave any negatives like, limited availabiliity, attendance issues, etc. They may not let you move workcenters. Ive seen quite a few stop caring in current workcenter and get stuck there because of poor performance.
Thanks, I will talk to both of them about transferring. It looks like I was right to be concerned about how my ETL would react if I went right to the Style team lead.

Since you have been working in your workcenter for so long i would try and spin in into a positive suit like you want to learn more areas of the store to help the store out since your a veteran tm. Just be aware the grass is not always greener on the other side amd the demands of tms in these other areas are probably more demanding. Sometimes a new area allows you get out of the funk you are feeling though soni think you should give it a shot. Just beware that the other etl would have to approve of you switching so if youbhave any negatives like, limited availabiliity, attendance issues, etc. They may not let you move workcenters. Ive seen quite a few stop caring in current workcenter and get stuck there because of poor performance.

Solution
I haven't had a chance to talk with HR or ETL-SE yet but I'll take your advice into consideration. That's exactly how I feel in that I would like to try something new since I feel like I am in a repetitive funk every shift since I have to do the same things every day.

Just know that style is a ton of work. I am crosstrained everywhere and was just stunned with how MUCH you have to do as a style TM and right now at my store they are drowning with the work load. So yes, be aware that the grass isn’t always greener....

Back