HR ETL

Hi - I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice about what my leadership may be thinking, as I believe they may be putting me on a path to become an HR ETL but possibly an HR TL. I don't necessarily know / am looking to see if anyone can tell me the next steps leadership may take so that I can gauge whether or not I'm improving / being pushed along the right path. Sorry if I provide too much context feel free to skip! I'm just looking for the most accurate advice possible.

I've been a Style TM since April of 2017 but went on LOAs from September of 2017-June of 2018 and September of 2018-June of 2019 as I went to school three hours away from the store. I have since graduated with a BA in Sociology (this June) and was approached in October-ish of this year by a peer of mine who was recently promoted to Style TL. In September of 2017, I was going to quit to go back to school but the store asked me to instead go on an LOA. Despite this all being during the process of Stores Mod, I caught up each time I returned to the store and quickly became one of the top performers of the department. When I graduated in June and came back to the store (I was originally planning on getting my masters, and staying at target while I studied for the exams, but that has since changed), my TL asked me to pick any department I may want to own and they would work it out. I chose to own Boys & Girls, not knowing that another TM had already owned it, and they arranged a way to give it to me. I very quickly improved the department - I think that me having been previously trained as a VM and having been an alternate for the Price Change team (RIP) gave me a great advantage during Stores Mod. My TL has told me on several occasions that she is learning from me how to better the team's time management.

The TL who approached me in October-ish told me that she was asked by management to suggest names of TMs who may be wiling to promote, and that since most people with a BA in Sociology go into some sort of Human Resource field, that would be an option for me. I said that I was interested, and she told me that I would have to wait for any further conversation until after Q4. In January, the HR ETL of my store approached me and told me that they're looking for help with their HR Experts and asked if I would be willing to learn HR to help them. I said yes, and she immediately gave me books to study for an HR certification and told me that she was going to mentor me. I started training in the middle of February for about two days a week. I still run my department the other days and the Style ETL has been giving me more leadership responsibilities.

After my first couple of days, the HR ETL has since been talking to me about her job as an ETL and has been having me do Onboarding training for an HR TL. I can now close payroll myself and am writing the schedules for four departments after about thirty hours of training. She offered me an HR Expert job for a store in our district, but since I already live far from my current store I had to turn it down. About a week and a half ago she told me that the HRBP had sent an email asking for names of TMs who might be able to become HR TLs / ETLs and asked if I was interested. I told her yes, and she has since told me that the HRBP was impressed and wanted to meet me. Since then I have had a whole shift of my HR ETL mentoring me and walking me through the schedules, and told me that she was excited that I was progressing / noticing mistakes that her HR Experts don't catch.

I've noticed, though, that each ETL in my store is mentoring a TM right now. The Style TL that approached me had recently been promoted after having been quite obviously mentored by the Style ETL, and the SE ETL is currently working with a TM closely / preparing her for advancement, as is the GM ETL. After reading here that the likelihood of becoming an ETL are slim I have since doubted the certainty of moving up, as there are four of us in just my store who are being prepared in the same way.

Last edited:
Back