HR experts unite! Questions about role

My SD is the one that said I was absolutely not able to pick up shifts elsewhere. Even already written shifts on kronos or call ins. That is per our Human resources business partner (hrbp or basically district hr). Since the hrbp reached out to other business partners about what to do with my limited availability and their solution was the force me, hire two and split hours, or quit answer that their hands are tied at a store level. It's all 10000% bull and from what I'm hearing it's our store specific. Which is even more bull. Hence reaching out on here to see if any other store was enforcing or participating in this "clearly defined workcenters " nonsense. I come from the front background and even worked service desk as the main tm for black Friday week. Its not like I'm unqualified. It's all just bull to cut my benefits or run me off I suspect.
That’s seriously not okay. I believe our core roles include backing up the register if needed if I’m not mistaken, so why would at least taking cashier shifts be an issue?

Going back over the first post, it sounds like you are not available on weekends, is that correct? Has this always been the case, or did you change your availability recently, or after being in the job for awhile?

Job descriptions change, availability needs change. If they have decided they need someone in your position to be available on weekends and you can't or won't accomodate, I'm not sure there is much you can do. It is their right to hire someone to fill their needs. They are giving you the opportunity to open your availability to get those hours. If you refuse, their hands are tied.

Or, maybe it's personal and they want you out. I know our HR TM used to help out in other areas of the store, but not sure how much they are needed now due to the drop in hours.

Valid questions. They're insisting on open availability all day every day including weekends and claiming it's a mandatory part of the hre position.

I've not been available sunday mornings before 1p since I was hired, and fridays after 6p. I have complete open availability otherwise. It's very accomodateable. I accommodated for the hiring events, volunteer events, black friday, etc to fit business needs. I've never just been a total jerk, if it was needed I did it. But they're being difficult over something that shouldn't be.

In the end, I will likely accommodate while looking for another job. But the reason I brought it here is because I was told it was mandatory for the hre position to have 100% open availability and I dont believe thats true

So basically to backtrack.
The second week of January they told me that I had to have open availability every day and weekend. I said no. They said theyd get with hrbp.

Third week of jan they said it again. I said no. They tried to ultimatum of "its mandatory" and I responded with "or what" because if they're giving an ultimatum they have to give the consequence. They said theyd partner with hrbp but didnt have an or else. Just that it was mandatory.

Fourth week of jan our hrbp came to the store for snapback and I spoke with them directly. They wouldn't give me solid answers and told me that the s.d. would catch up with me.

And now this week they say I open availability, or they split my hours between two tms, or I quit. And that I absolutely could not pick up shifts in other workcenters. That it was 100% not negotiable. Basically I would be scheduled 20 hours a week and there was nothing I could do. I asked if I could change workcenters at that point and was denied.

I think it's important to note that I have never been a "troublemaker", never hotline called, and never been difficult on anything they've asked. I have zero performance conversations on me, I have perfect attendance for three years, etc.. so it's not like I'm a low performer or causing drama etc. I have no ada, no special needs, not even pulling the childcare card. I show up, do my job, do what they ask, and go home as scheduled or as needed if I needed to stay over. I pulled 40 hours in two & a half days because they asked me to. I've been the model team member. Also why I've been blindsided by this bull. So hearing that its basically not a corporate thing is making it clearer that they're out after me specifically.

Last edited:
Valid questions. They're insisting on open availability all day every day including weekends and claiming it's a mandatory part of the hre position.

I've not been available sunday mornings before 1p since I was hired, and fridays after 6p. I have complete open availability otherwise. It's very accomodateable. I accommodated for the hiring events, volunteer events, black friday, etc to fit business needs. I've never just been a total jerk, if it was needed I did it. But they're being difficult over something that shouldn't be.

In the end, I will likely accommodate while looking for another job. But the reason I brought it here is because I was told it was mandatory for the hre position to have 100% open availability and I dont believe thats true

So basically to backtrack.
The second week of January they told me that I had to have open availability every day and weekend. I said no. They said theyd get with hrbp.

Third week of jan they said it again. I said no. They tried to ultimatum of "its mandatory" and I responded with "or what" because if they're giving an ultimatum they have to give the consequence. They said theyd partner with hrbp but didnt have an or else. Just that it was mandatory.

Fourth week of jan our hrbp came to the store for snapback and I spoke with them directly. They wouldn't give me solid answers and told me that the s.d. would catch up with me.

And now this week they say I open availability, or they split my hours between two tms, or I quit. And that I absolutely could not pick up shifts in other workcenters. That it was 100% not negotiable. Basically I would be scheduled 20 hours a week and there was nothing I could do. I asked if I could change workcenters at that point and was denied.

I think it's important to note that I have never been a "troublemaker", never hotline called, and never been difficult on anything they've asked. I have zero performance conversations on me, I have perfect attendance for three years, etc.. so it's not like I'm a low performer or causing drama etc. I have no ada, no special needs, not even pulling the childcare card. I show up, do my job, do what they ask, and go home as scheduled or as needed if I needed to stay over. I pulled 40 hours in two & a half days because they asked me to. I've been the model team member. Also why I've been blindsided by this bull. So hearing that its basically not a corporate thing is making it clearer that they're our after me specifically.
Sounds like you have great availability for the position and they are targeting you. While my availability is open, there have been times when I need to adjust my regular hours based on business needs or even my needs. If I have to come in later because of an appt I don't get any flack. As long as I get my core job done there isn't an issue. If there is a shortage in the store I am helping out and getting my HR work done later. I can't think of anything HR-related that is so critical that there can't be some flexibility with the position. I am aware of past and current HR TM's who go to school and their schedules are worked around their school schedules. If you do need to leave, sound like you have some basis for unemployment due to hostile work environment. Good Luck and keep us posted.

Wow then yeah, it sounds like this is personal. Someone's being a dick. Is there anyone near the top that you feel you can have an honest conversation with? At this point I would want to say Just tell me the truth, what's really going on here?

Wow then yeah, it sounds like this is personal. Someone's being a dick. Is there anyone near the top that you feel you can have an honest conversation with? At this point I would want to say Just tell me the truth, what's really going on here?
I've spoken with my HRTL, my SD in store and my HRBP (district hr, above the hr tl) and been 100% honest and downright blunt with this situation. Hrbp told me to talk to my s.d. My s.d. said it was directly from the hrbp. My hrtl is useless and basically a paperweight. At this point I'll either deal with it; go back and talk to the s.d. again; Or hotline it. That's my only choices that I see.

Another tm suggest our job description for hre. I looked it up today. It does clearly say for the position that it must be able to count a cash register accurately and sell & stock products. So the locking me into hr with no picking up shifts is 100% bull.

I'm leaning towards taking it to my s.d. and just providing a case. I dunno tho.

I've spoken with my HRTL, my SD in store and my HRBP (district hr, above the hr tl) and been 100% honest and downright blunt with this situation. Hrbp told me to talk to my s.d. My s.d. said it was directly from the hrbp. My hrtl is useless and basically a paperweight. At this point I'll either deal with it; go back and talk to the s.d. again; Or hotline it. That's my only choices that I see.

Another tm suggest our job description for hre. I looked it up today. It does clearly say for the position that it must be able to count a cash register accurately and sell & stock products. So the locking me into hr with no picking up shifts is 100% bull.

I'm leaning towards taking it to my s.d. and just providing a case. I dunno tho.
I would have another convo with the HRBP.

I would try to get SD or HRBP to put the ultimatum in writing. For instance, after a meeting with one, send an email referencing your meeting and say something like I would just like clarification of what we discussed...spell out what they said and what you said and how the meeting was left. Save and print everything. You might need all of this later. Good luck!

Back