Archived HR question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week I was hospitalized. As embarrassing as it was I had to have my mother call in for me. I was in the hospital over night and not able to do so myself. I'm not a child and do not need my mommy doing things for me but in the state I was in I couldn't talk. When I returned to work my STL took a stab at me saying that " only minors can have a parent call in for them". I had already given him the paperwork from the hospital. He doesn't know my circumstances. I could have been completely unconscience for all he knew. He was notified that I was in the hospital! But apparently that wasn't good enough!
Is this true? Even when someone is incapacitated?

I don’t know the legal answer to your question but your STL sounds like an ass. I don’t think your mom can’t technically call out for you but she was doing them a courtesy to let them know your wouldn’t be there. It might still count as a no call/no show but hopefully the Drs note will prevent any corrective action. I hope everything is okay with you - health wise.

He is an ass! I am ok. Still so mad about his comment. If someone is in the hospital then obviously they can't always call themselves! I'm quitting anyway do to my health reasons. He also stated by me doing that it makes HIM look bad!

That sounds like something he could get in deep shit for, honestly.

I know for sure that if I had a relative call in on my behalf for a hospital visit, the ETL-log would respond "WHICH ROOM HE AT THO" and skrrt skrrt up to the hospital to visit me. I wouldn't be surprised if the STL showed up too.

Fuck him and the horse he rode in on.
If you had been married and your spouse had to call in for you, as mine did when I was vomiting blood at the hospital, there wouldn't have been any issues.
It's the same thing.
If he says one more thing go to HR.

What an epic failure of a human being. When i was in a car accident my dad actually went to my hr and showed her the scene i was pulled out of. I was bed bound for a month. You do what you need to get healthy as you can and ignore twats like that.

That is insane. I hope you're ok! I've noticed at my store and on this page in general that majority of etl's and stl's seem to think there is never an excuse to call in and act accordingly. Sorry you had to deal with that but I wouldn't even wait until he says something again I would talk to hr immediately about it and even call the hotline if you need to. You're leaving anyways might as well let it be known how hes acting and maybe help someone down the road if he continues to act that way since it will be on file.

When I returned to work my STL took a stab at me saying that " only minors can have a parent call in for them". I had already given him the paperwork from the hospital. He doesn't know my circumstances. I could have been completely unconscience for all he knew. He was notified that I was in the hospital! But apparently that wasn't good enough! Is this true? Even when someone is incapacitated?

There is a rule in which it should be the TMs, themselves, calling out. However, you also have to look at things situationally. If a TM was so physically ill to the point that they had to be hospitalized, then a family member notifying the store in addition to them submitting a doctor's note afterward should be an acceptable alternative. Your STL sounds like a heartless POS. My HR team would have accepted the call out and doctor's note. Any notification is better than no notification for situations like yours.

I experienced a situation similar to this as HR and you better believe I was on the phone daily with the mom to check in and see if there was anything the TM needed. We weren’t allowed to visit, but I would’ve done that too. Yes there are TMs who get drunk on a Friday night and call in sick for their Saturday morning shift. Yes there are TMs who didn’t do their essay that’s due today and call in sick. But there’s also TMs who are in crisis who need support and understanding. I visited hospitals more than once in my time as HR and I always made sure to truly check in with people when they came back to work from being sick, even if it’s just been the flu or something more minor. Once you forget that your team is made up of real people with lives outside of work, you start to lose part of your humanity in my opinion. People aren’t robots. Give your team your best and they’re going to give you their best in return. (Obviously it’s more nuanced than that since good leadership can’t be boiled down to one axiom, but it’s a good place to start).

It's sad when STLs/ETLs put policy before fair judgment. A hardworking, respected tm deserves the benefit of the doubt when they can't come in at least, at most their dignity when spoken to about it. My management is beyond not perfect, but I earned this much from them. I had an ETL text me (which could have gotten her in trouble) wondereding why I didn't show. It was a schedual mishap, but she was afraid I was hurt or something. I am so thankful she cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back