Archived HR/Request Off Horror Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm leaving for a cruise on the 3rd through the 12th, and I requested it off twice (Jan 3rd got auto denied so I tried again for 4th-12th), I talked to an HR TM who left a note for my ETL-HR, and also talked to my ETL-HR about it. I ended up getting auto denied and I'm on the schedule for almost all of those dates. This is the second time that this has happened. My plan is to quit over the phone tomorrow. Pissed...

When did you request them off? And are you still in your first 90 days?

What did the ETL-HR say?
Did they say they would take care of it for you?
Because if they did, the minute you were auto denied you should have taken it in to them and asked what had happened.
The only way this stuff works is with constant pushing.
I'm sorry it's reached the point where you feel like you have to quit.

When did you request them off? And are you still in your first 90 days?
I requested off well before the deadline posted, 3+ weeks before the schedule was to be posted. I am out of my 90 day, and am the "Vibe Hero of the Month".

What did the ETL-HR say?
Because if they did, the minute you were auto denied you should have taken it in to them and asked what had happened.
ETL-HR told me it was no big deal and she would take care of it but that it wasn't passed on to her from the HR TM (after being auto-denied twice).

I always ask my ETL first then HR if needed. I'll tell my ETL I put a request in. Usually they say no problem and approve it. I've had some ETLs that would check requests off and the swap shift board only if a TM specifically brought it up to them, in person, sitting at the computer. Those ones you gotta remind until they approve it.

What did the ETL-HR say?
ETL-HR told me it was no big deal and she would take care of it but that it wasn't passed on to her from the HR TM (after being auto-denied twice).

You might want to go in and talk to the ETL-HR before you quit.
If they won't fix the schedule for you, quitting is always an option but if the ETL-HR told they would take care of it maybe they will make an effort for you.
Puppy dog eyes and appealing to their better side might work, you never know.
Then at least you won't have to look for work when you get back.

did you talk to your etl, first? The auto denied is happening, because your etl did not check their email. Just print out the requests & rejections for your hr to see. The only question is when did you put the first request in? Was it in December?

Our store said that the auto denies were happening without their knowledge- they said if no reason accompanied the denial/ they were auto, to go to the etls because they were allegedly not even seeing the requests... So... Maybe?

I had to literally stalk my etl ge and make her sit and check in front of me to see if my vacation was showing up as I was resending it. Magically it did. (Didnt show up for hrtm and my gstl and etl hr) I had to put in three different requests for one to show up for my etl. It could be a legitimate glitch like mine was.

Ths year when I put it for my annual vacation...it was auto denied. Our etl/log had quit and the new etl log didn't approve it in time. So, I was on the schedule for part of the time I had asked off. My srtl told me, that he was going to take me off. So, I said ok. I checked every day still up there...I had to nag the hell out of him... I will add that if they told you they would take you off the schedule...make sure they do so...DONT trust them to follow through...protect yourself . Make sure you see that they took you off...and if at all possible a witness to the fact that they said they would take you off.

There have been lots of issues with my time requests not going to a leader at all to review.

When we didn't have an ETL-GE earlier this year, nobody received requests from front end TMs. Our ETL-Softlines was supposed to get them because he covered GE in the interim, but I don't think it ever happened.

Some people are "approvers" for mytime and others aren't. The ones who aren't will have NO clue that you've even asked off. If the ones who are approvers aren't on the ball then it will be auto-denied. I ran into this awhile back myself.
If you've legitimately put in the time-off request and they didn't deny it with a reason or approve it then it's too bad for them. I would go to them and make them find where they denied it with a reason, otherwise I'd let them know I will not be there for those shifts.
It's not fair that TMs do the right thing and management drops the ball and you're just supposed to deal with it.
The OP obviously had done the requests well in advance or the system wouldn't even let you do them. It's up to management to do their part.

Some people are "approvers" for mytime and others aren't. The ones who aren't will have NO clue that you've even asked off. If the ones who are approvers aren't on the ball then it will be auto-denied. I ran into this awhile back myself.
If you've legitimately put in the time-off request and they didn't deny it with a reason or approve it then it's too bad for them. I would go to them and make them find where they denied it with a reason, otherwise I'd let them know I will not be there for those shifts.
It's not fair that TMs do the right thing and management drops the ball and you're just supposed to deal with it.
The OP obviously had done the requests well in advance or the system wouldn't even let you do them. It's up to management to do their part.

Yep. My favorite is you get the days off and another ETL schedules you for that day/days. No moron that is not a NCNS I had the days off since I had vacation. Not my fault you didn't check or just plain ignored the reason I had the days off.

Last edited:
There have been lots of issues with my time requests not going to a leader at all to review.

When we didn't have an ETL-GE earlier this year, nobody received requests from front end TMs. Our ETL-Softlines was supposed to get them because he covered GE in the interim, but I don't think it ever happened.
Same thing happened when our etl/log left...created quite the mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back