Archived HR Team Member or GSTL role?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was recently asked about a HR ™ backup position. I am currently a GSA / GSTL at my store and am not sure which to take? Some of my friends in management suggest HR as it is easier to move on into management and better prepares for the STL role. What do you guys think? Should I still with the GSA/GSTL position (currently at $12) or consider the HR route instead? (I am looking to go into management, I just want to make sure I take the quickest and 'best' route.

HR is a position that translates any where in the business world.
EVERY company that has staff usually has an HR person & gaining that experience at Target would look good on a resume.
Many of our ETLs that had a rotation in HR usually jumped ship because leadership experience at Target was considered a plus.

Yes, redeye is right. HR is great experience for whatever company you wind up at. I personally loved HR. It gave me a lot of great experience and perspective. Plus, the schedule is usually a little more consistent.

I worked as an HRtm for about 6 yrs. It had its ups and downs. I would rather be that over a GSTL anyday.
Lots of reports, paperwork, orientation setup (and maybe running them also), help deal with TM issues. Must be great at multi-tasking as you will be pulled in several directions at times and still have to manage some deadlines.
Hours were good, worked 8-3 or 4 most days, no weekends.

HRTM pays quite a bit less than the GSTL position. But as others here have mentioned, HR is a plus on any resume, not just in retail. It really depends on what you're going for. If you need money more than anything, go for GSTL. GSTL will still help to build leadership experience.

GSTL all the way. Besides the pay drop, with GSTL you gain leadership experience. With HR TM, you gain experience answering phones, nagging TMs about punch corrections, overtime and training and nagging TLs/ETLs about payroll when they don't care unless it comes from the STL.

HRTM is, however, an easy job. And HR experience does look good on a resume, but in my mind, leadership experience looks better. The former is much easier to teach than the latter.

Maybe I'm biased from the viewpoint of a HL TL, but those are my thoughts.

EDIT: Just reread your original post. HR doesn't prepare you for STL in any meaningful way.

I'm familiar with the acronym. I was asking him to elaborate where he disagreed with me about HRTM being an easy position.
Hrtm is not an easy job. You have to do your boss's job & cover for them when them messed up. But I would take that job depending on your store mgt. most of the time you are by yourself doing the tasks requirement. Answer tm's questions, doing schedules, making calls for interviews, & cleaning the breakroom.

Just so I can get some perspective, can you elaborate on this?
It really depends on how much your ETL HR actually does. If they put a lot of work off on their HR TM then the job will be more difficult.

In any situation I wouldn't call it a easy job. Each position at Target has its own challenges and bs associated with it.

I get what y'all are saying. And if HR did schedules at my store I can see how it'd be a bit more stressful (but I'd argue that's not how it should be done.) But I still stand by what I said, with the exception that I'd call it the best job in the store instead of the easiest. because OnSix is right; it's Target, things are very rarely easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back