Archived Hurricane time here in fl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me waving from LOUISIANA.
drinkbeer.gif

Yep south here too. The humidity is bad b/c when you sweat it doesn't evaporate well to cool you off. Hurricanes, floods, mosquitoes, alligators, fire ants, stinging caterpillars that drop randomly from trees. But the food is good, and we got 2 days out of school for Mardi Gras.

Me waving from LOUISIANA.
drinkbeer.gif

/me waves from Alaska.
I'll trade you for having everything burning down.

Edit

I don't think you would want that trade.
This summer we have burned over 2,550,000 square acres of forest.
Florida looks to have about 42,082,938 square acres for the entire state.
Unless you guys want fires that burn up 6.06% of your entire state every year, I'd pass.
We get away with it because we are fucking huge and don't have that many people.

Last edited:
Are any targets closing?
Mine is set to, but no word yet on the exact day. Since the storm is slowing down, chances are it won't be until Tuesday or even Wednesday. I was scheduled Monday but they decided to move the truck up a day and be here on Sunday. I was asked to come in (and at any time I wanted) but I opted for my normal time set. So now I work Sunday, but I don't think the hurricane is going to actually impact Monday's roads, and I wonder if instead they will cut Tuesday truck and push that one to Monday. I don't want to miss out on time and a half... but if the store had closed, they wouldn't have paid for that anyway.

I appreciate corporate wanting the drivers to be safe and monitoring the storm, but I called it that they would make too soon of a call for our area. I'm sure when I come in tomorrow they will switch things around.

New Englander here. Four distinct seasons, something for everyone - to complain about!

But seriously, even though I would love more days that are sunny and 75, I'd be more likely to make a lateral weather move than head farther south - high humidity and bigger, badder bugs just aren't my thing.

Is there a list of which ones will be closing? Sorry if I've missed it
I dunno if there's a 'list', per se, but I know corporate is making the decisions on which stores they are going to close. I'd almost bet that (with the most current forecast) that most of south Florida stores up through central Florida will be closed, especially from the middle of the state over to the east coast. I wouldn't be surprised if the western side of the state (Tampa-ish) will also be anticipated to close, too. That cone or error is pretty big still and the GFS and Euro are STILL all over the place.

Also, 18008880333- the Crisis Hotline if your store may be expected to close. Know your store or DC #.

Why I like FL...hurricane parties..irritating Florida crackers cause I'm a transplanted Yankee ...further irritating crackers by wearing shorts & short sleeves when the temp drops to 50...a/c on 9 months, no heating bills...watching the bug zapper illuminate the evening skies...the mystery of red tire & why it can't be solved...swimming in winter months, less sharks...fried gator bites.

Crazy crackers...The term goes back as far as 7 generations of home grown floridians. Most don't mind it if you call them crackers, they think they were independent in the days before a/c..bug repellant..etc, etc...I say they were crazy crackers to live here before world war 2 especially if they didn't buy prime property worth a fortune today.

Florida:

1. Brutally fucking hot
2. Hurricanes and storm surges
3. Gators
4. Expensive as fuck real estate
5. Nobody is not being shot or stabbed to death at any moment, ever

So what again is the point of Florida? Should we build a wall around it and sell it to Cuba? (yes)
You forgot sinkholes.

New Englander here. Four distinct seasons, something for everyone - to complain about!

But seriously, even though I would love more days that are sunny and 75, I'd be more likely to make a lateral weather move than head farther south - high humidity and bigger, badder bugs just aren't my thing.

Come out west! PNW. Though you trade for forest fires that can surround you, Oregon, Washington and Canada that smoke comes down and chokes us out once in a while. And earthquakes.. You never hear them coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back