Archived Husband Got Orders (Military), Undecided about future with Spot

Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband is in the military, and I'm a relatively new TL at spot. I was hired as a Brand TM for a new store in August, helped set it up, and quickly became TL (Softlines) because my ETL asked me to. Our store in general is doing TERRIBLY. Vibe scores suck, safety is. the. worst. and my department is basically at the bottom of the heap (not for safety, but Vibe scores).

Long story short, when I first started, I LOVED Target. Loved the structure, loved the people and the "Vibe". Lately, it's sucking the life out of me. I bust my ass. I feel like I delegate well. But, I get nothing but negative feedback from my ETL.

WELL, we got orders to another state and will move mid-June, and I haven't told my HR ETL yet. I looked at positions near where we are moving to, and there are no TL positions available. But, I'll be honest, I was kind of relieved. I know my recent experiences could be clouding my judgement, and another FRESH NEW store could be just what I need, but I think I may just want to quit altogether...and not even ask to be transferred to another Target. I know FOR SURE that I do not want to revert to TM again.

The ONLY negativity I get is from my ETL (and some sub-par TMs, but that I can handle). Everyone else at spot (all the other ETLs, TLs, and even the STL) are super nice and supportive of me. I drive the vibe like crazy, do what all of the ETLs ask of me, try my best to be global, and really really push safety. I can't try any harder. I can't. I don't know what I'm really asking, basically some advice or BTDTs. TIA!

Transferring is a difficult process as you have to convince the ETL staff at both your store and the prospect store to go along with it. This includes having to interview at the prospect store for the position. I have never transferred but from what I've seen, they rarely go through and have often been used to get rid of someone they feel isn't performing quite well enough but not poorly enough to get performanced out.

If you are getting frequent negative feedback from your ETL, a transfer is not likely to happen.

Transferring as TL has never been easy. Now most stores are over head count and working on getting rid of TLs I would guess it would be nearly impossible.

Heyo, another military wife here. We're moving sometime before October (and that's all we know). I'd say make sure to give notice before leaving but don't try for a transfer. Obviously this is your decision but you sound burned out and tired and that's totally ok! PCS' are great opportunities to get a fresh perspective and try out new things. And the reason I say give the notice...if you get to your new place and realize you really miss Spot you can always re-apply in your new location. There's a lot of churn even at great stores and even if they don't have a TL spot open now maybe there'll be one later on--and if you give notice you'll be re-hireable.

I've never had issues transferring, but for me it was transferring to a different PG (sales floor to signing) and my wife did a lateral sales floor when we moved to where we are now.. As far as TL transfers I'm sure its possible. One option you could do is try to contact HR at stores in that area and let them know the situation. Ask if they know of anything opening up and go from there. I know you said you don't want to go back to TM but I feel if you had to do that you'd probably be considered for TL right away at the new store if something opened up considering you'd had experience with it... a lot of it would just be getting to know the new store's leaders and communicating what you wanted with them.. They may even have you on the bench right away. But ultimately up to you. I'd say its worth trying a new store.. most times the leader is the reason people dislike their position so much.

Thanks for all of your insights! Very helpful. Of course I would give notice, but I think I'll still see if a transfer is possible. As a person who has been in a military family for the past 12 years of my life, I have to be resilient, so I'm not scared of the future, especially my future with spot- at all. If they can transfer me, great- if not, then onto the next.

I told my ETL and the HR ETL on Tuesday of this week, immediately my ETL was like: "Nooooo, don't leave me!!!" and "I know I'll get a new SL TL, but it won't be YOU"... lol, I guess all it takes to get some love is to tell 'em that you are leaving, lol. Both she and the HR ETL immediately offered to start working on a transfer for me, and getting in contact with the store in the city that I'm moving to. So, I guess that's that. We'll see what happens!

Thanks for all of your insights! Very helpful. Of course I would give notice, but I think I'll still see if a transfer is possible. As a person who has been in a military family for the past 12 years of my life, I have to be resilient, so I'm not scared of the future, especially my future with spot- at all. If they can transfer me, great- if not, then onto the next.
I actually just found out a TL at my store is moving out of state at the end of May, he reached out to 6-8 of the stores in the area he is looking to transfer to and I believe he already has interviews lined up. He is also considering trying to interview for ETL. So definitely try to reach out ahead of time and see what you can line up.. and good luck with everything :).

I actually just found out a TL at my store is moving out of state at the end of May, he reached out to 6-8 of the stores in the area he is looking to transfer to and I believe he already has interviews lined up. He is also considering trying to interview for ETL. So definitely try to reach out ahead of time and see what you can line up.. and good luck with everything :).

Thanks, yep it's in the works. I told the HR ETL that we need to have a sit-down this Wed. to hammer out some details (dates, locations, etc.). She's really great, and I know she'll do all she can to get me into another store. Whatever happens, I'm cool with it. ;)

*update*

Talked on the phone to an ETL at the store I'm probably transferring to. They are maxed for TLs at the store, but since it's a vacation destination that I'm moving to (summer is their busy time), and I'll be moving june-ish to july-ish, they are going to make a spot for me, at the very least, they are trying their hardest to. It'll definitely be a new experience, and a challenge, since it's a lower volume store, and the structure is quite a bit different than my current store. We'll see what happens!

*update*

Talked on the phone to an ETL at the store I'm probably transferring to. They are maxed for TLs at the store, but since it's a vacation destination that I'm moving to (summer is their busy time), and I'll be moving june-ish to july-ish, they are going to make a spot for me, at the very least, they are trying their hardest to. It'll definitely be a new experience, and a challenge, since it's a lower volume store, and the structure is quite a bit different than my current store. We'll see what happens!
Sometimes being a tm, as an advantage, play dumb & see what's happens.

*update*

Sometimes being a tm, as an advantage, play dumb & see what's happens.

Hmmmm...no. Maybe I didn't explain the situation that well. They are making a spot for me as TL, because they need/want more TLs for their busy time of the year. In fact, I was asking him about starting later in the summer, and he said that they were flexible, but the sooner in the summer that I could start (as a TL), the better. Why would I undersell myself if they want me as a TL???? This does not make sense to me, and I don't need the job enough to be a TM, as I said before. I think "playing dumb" would be a very un-wise move for me at this point. I hope I don't come off as un-accepting of "helpful" suggestions, but this seems counter-intuitive as to what is actually happening in my current position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back