Archived "Hypothetical" interview question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hypothetically speaking, if an interviewer asked you a question along the lines of:

"Tell me about a time in which you had an abundance of information for a project or task. How did you identify the most important pieces of information?"

How would you go about answering this hypothetical question? Thanks for your help everybody!

I suck at these. I don't know I would just look at it and figure out what I needed.

I thought about this all day! Still don't know how to answer. Something along the lines of using the information that I needed to get the job done. I still don't know.

What kind of position are you applying for? Because one simple one I can think of is setting an aisle in plano. I mean.. if you've set an endcap, I'd say you've set an aisle... you know? Talk about how you're presented with the label strips, tools, and planogram (which includes the instructions, diagrams, measurements, product info, pog info, etc.) and you had to prioritize off of that. Sure, there's a best practice for the order in which everything's done... but there's no specific order for when you grab your carriage, when you count out your shelves and peg hooks and get them from the fixture room... when you go to the backroom to pull/retrieve your pog... some things just are a judgement call depending on what's going on in the store at the time.

Obviously don't generalize though... make it one specific time... and make it sound good. Make it a busy day when you were being pulled in a couple directions.

Just an idea!

When answering these questions just try to be as detailed as possible in the situation, behavior, and outcome.

For example:

Situation:

My supervisor wanted me to complete flyer audit, but I also had to complete a pog, and zone my area.

Behavior:

The first thing I did was inform my supervisor that I had a lot of work to do, the second thing I did was prioritize what I had to do, I decided to ask for some help so I could deligate the zoning to another team member. While they were zoning I started to do the flyer audit, once I completed that I finished the pog that I had to complete.

Outcome:

I was able to complete the tasks that were given to me, however if I wasn't able to complete the pog in time I would have notified someone on the presentation team so the work would still be completed in a timely manner.

It's for Targets internship next summer. A source told me this could be a question and I am pretty solid with interviews but this question gave me some trouble. Guess we'll see by the end of the week!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back