Archived Hypotheticals...

Status
Not open for further replies.
sooo let’s just say hypothetically this happened to you (or your TM or TL)....

asked to zone an awful area (i.e. IH or toys) in the last hour of your shift and you know the TL is going to want to hear when you’re done. Do you rush and do a total half-ass zone then tell them you’re done? Or do a great zone for as much as you can get through then let them know you could only get done through A few aisles? Or skip your break and accidentally stay a little late to make sure your zone is great and you’ll impress your lead?

I’ve skipped breaks before to get things done that were expected of me, but I’m not saying that everyone should feel obligated to do the same. Everyone is different and some wouldn’t mind making sacrifices to help out your team/boss/etc. Again, not saying you should feel guilty for taking breaks you are entitled to either. I would never expect someone to do that. It all boils down to what you are comfortable with. If it comes down to getting through the whole area, or getting as much done as you can thoroughly, I would ask the LOD what they would prefer if you think you don’t have enough time.

Ask the LOD, communicate what state it’s in and reasssure that you’ll do your best with the time you have left. Pick ups, zone first few sections of each aisle then blitz through and pull the big stuff forward and fill any holes. Then as you zoom back touch up your front endcaps.

How many threads do we need where skipping breaks is mentioned? Hey Spot you should really tell TMs to stop skipping their breaks. You’re donating your time to Spot; congrats for 1) fluffing those profits and 2) giving Spot/leaders the expectations of more work being done.
To the OP. If the aisle is bad, communicate with your leader ASAP. Sometimes a deep zone is necessary and they’re aware those take time. Other times it’s about getting the shelves faced for guests. My take would be to do a quick zone on the aisles and circle back to the ‘bad’ ones. Leaders can make note of bad aisles and plan a 4x4 if needed.

Yeah, I would go with the communication route--ask them if they want the place straightened up as much as possible or good zone on as much as you can get through. If it's a quick zone I'd go through and pick up anything that didn't belong (and put it where it belongs if that's part of the zone) and focus on getting the endcaps in great shape, then hit the aisles with bigger and/or square stuff that look bad easily but are also pretty quick to fix up.

sooo let’s just say hypothetically this happened to you (or your TM or TL)....

asked to zone an awful area (i.e. IH or toys) in the last hour of your shift and you know the TL is going to want to hear when you’re done. Do you rush and do a total half-ass zone then tell them you’re done? Or do a great zone for as much as you can get through then let them know you could only get done through A few aisles? Or skip your break and accidentally stay a little late to make sure your zone is great and you’ll impress your lead?

Ive done all 3 but Id want you to do the best job you could with your break and leaving on time.

Ask the LOD, communicate what state it’s in and reasssure that you’ll do your best with the time you have left. Pick ups, zone first few sections of each aisle then blitz through and pull the big stuff forward and fill any holes. Then as you zoom back touch up your front endcaps.

This. Do it and become the best at it and your job should be easy. Let them know how bad it is, walk it with them to get a game plan or tell them your game plan if you have one already. The night team usually has an idea of expectations of what I expect, and when you’re finally done, let her know what you were able to accomplish and any opportunities left for the team. I can’t tell you how many times I have to track down TMs and ask them how their zone went at the end of the night. If you communicate the standing of the zone, if you need more time, opportunities then they’ll understand all of the hypotheticals mentioned. I tell the team to take their breaks though, and they can’t save it for the end of their shift to leave early. It’s a paid rest time, use it to rest.

Thanks for all the responses! I’ve only worked hardline zones 5 times and it’s been a different area AND different TL each time. Each TL seems to assume that I know exactly how they like that area to be handled (zoning pets/chem is different than folding towels or pushing cereal).

This. Do it and become the best at it and your job should be easy. Let them know how bad it is, walk it with them to get a game plan or tell them your game plan if you have one already. The night team usually has an idea of expectations of what I expect, and when you’re finally done, let her know what you were able to accomplish and any opportunities left for the team. I can’t tell you how many times I have to track down TMs and ask them how their zone went at the end of the night. If you communicate the standing of the zone, if you need more time, opportunities then they’ll understand all of the hypotheticals mentioned. I tell the team to take their breaks though, and they can’t save it for the end of their shift to leave early. It’s a paid rest time, use it to rest.

On my hardlines zone shifts I always ask for the LOD’s location (or have heard it in a recent walkie), then go to report to them what I’ve gotten through on my 1 fucking hour zone: “I zoned all of D and C through H&Hfrom the top”. **loud disappointed sigh** “well I guess someonee will need to finish C for you then ughhh”.
There’s literally 10 aisles of kitchen appliances left. Not hard to zone. I’d be happy to stay and finish it....

Sorry for the grumpiness. Can’t sleep and you bet I’ll be there early tomorrow morning (with my least favorite LOD and TL)....

Sorry for the grumpiness. Can’t sleep and you bet I’ll be there early tomorrow morning (with my least favorite LOD and TL)....
Same here, usually can’t sleep at all and I probably look like hell lol.
The TL should have realistic expectations. I don’t expect it to be perfect when you have the front calling for back up, nor do I expect TMs to work magic in that time amount.

Same here, usually can’t sleep at all and I probably look like hell lol.
The TL should have realistic expectations. I don’t expect it to be perfect when you have the front calling for back up, nor do I expect TMs to work magic in that time amount.
Looking like hell is like a badge of achievement!
Though really I just don’t care enough to try to look cute...pay me nothing to work shitty hours: “ meh I’ll do my hair/makeup next time..” (repeat every time)

Looking like hell is like a badge of achievement!
Though really I just don’t care enough to try to look cute...pay me nothing to work shitty hours: “ meh I’ll do my hair/makeup next time..” (repeat every time)
*wears it proudly* :D Lol
Only if we have DTL or above coming in I dress appropriate - Fancy shirt, dress pants, hair fixed. But when they leave or I have work to do, best believe I have a change of Spot clothing waiting. Told an ETL once when they noticed I changed shirts. “I have CAFs and batches to pull, trash and cardboard to do, I’m not getting dirty”

*wears it proudly* :D Lol
Only if we have DTL or above coming in I dress appropriate - Fancy shirt, dress pants, hair fixed. But when they leave or I have work to do, best believe I have a change of Spot clothing waiting. Told an ETL once when they noticed I changed shirts. “I have CAFs and batches to pull, trash and cardboard to do, I’m not getting dirty”
Lol I never know when they’re visiting until I walk in and see the store in a panic. Ooppssss wore my kinda pinkish not really red plaid shirt and ponytail and no makeup again. I swear they plan it!!
Might have to start doing the opposite as you and keeping a nice red shirt in TSC coat rack with some dry shampoo or something hmm...

Lol I never know when they’re visiting until I walk in and see the store in a panic. Ooppssss wore my kinda pinkish not really red plaid shirt and ponytail and no makeup again. I swear they plan it!!
Might have to start doing the opposite as you and keeping a nice red shirt in TSC coat rack with some dry shampoo or something hmm...
I have travel sized toiletries in my desk. Always prepared in the case of emergencies.
If they come unexpected and I’m SOL, it looks like I’m dropping some cash on a new sweater or shirt. Can’t tell you how many times I purchased T Shirt in emergency.
Outside of work I actually look decent and put effort into myself. If anyone saw me outside of work on a day when I had a coordinated outfit, fresh face, hair done, they wouldn’t recognize me.

I have travel sized toiletries in my desk. Always prepared in the case of emergencies.
If they come unexpected and I’m SOL, it looks like I’m dropping some cash on a new sweater or shirt. Can’t tell you how many times I purchased T Shirt in emergency.
Outside of work I actually look decent and put effort into myself. If anyone saw me outside of work on a day when I had a coordinated outfit, fresh face, hair done, they wouldn’t recognize me.
Haha love it!! Went into my store recently on a night off with a couple friends (emergency target run). Only one person recognized me, despite seeing 5-10 colleagues I work with at least a few times a week.

Haha love it!! Went into my store recently on a night off with a couple friends (emergency target run). Only one person recognized me, despite seeing 5-10 colleagues I work with at least a few times a week.
A few handful have seen the other IP; if I left a photo out, the leadership team would probably expect it everyday, NOT HAPPENING. I think one day in ‘16 I had gone somewhere and I had a closing shift. I forgot I had some stuff on my face. My workload sure handled that and took it right off. Now that my skin is finally coming back to what it once was, I’m on the skin maintenance train to an even complexion.

Btw you’re freaking me out now that we could be the same person...

Hahaha if I were you and you were me, I’d say we’d need to get some sleep but we both know that isn’t happening... T minus 4 hours and counting...:confused:

Hahaha if I were you and you were me, I’d say we’d need to get some sleep but we both know that isn’t happening... T minus 4 hours and counting...:confused:
Yeahhh that was a really rough shift today! Hope yours went a little better! Opening tomorrow now too so fingers crossed I can get some sleep before this one!

Yeahhh that was a really rough shift today! Hope yours went a little better! Opening tomorrow now too so fingers crossed I can get some sleep before this one!

I’m surprised I actually had enough energy today to do what I needed to do. I took 4 melatonin gummies and I knocked out for a good two hours. I have the day off, but I’ll be doing assignments for class. Fun stuff lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back