I am so done...

Been there, done that. It's NOT the work center with the most bs and I have worked in just about every work center over the course of many years with Spot. Do I respect our CA's? Absolutely! Do they work hard? Absolutely! Do I appreciate them? Absolutely! I thank them every single time they bring in carts. I have helped them to straighten their cart lines so they don't stick together. Maybe I'm part of the problem. I do my job, I help others when needed, I have a positive attitude and thank my coworkers when they assist me and I recognize them when they've gone above and beyond, and I don't expect gushing thank you recognitions for doing my job. This isn't my first rodeo and it is definitely not the career I started with, but it is the one I will end with and I'm happy with that. Good luck finding a new job. I hope you find one that will be a better fit.
I never said anything about expecting thank you’s and whatnot, all I ask for is equal respect or more respect and also that people should be cross trained to help out when me our other 2 cart attendants aren’t working or need help with something that doesn’t require a lot of unnecessary disrespect or refusing to help like you’re supposed to. And thanks for the wishes by the way, I respect that.

I never said anything about expecting thank you’s and whatnot, all I ask for is equal respect or more respect and also that people should be cross trained to help out when me our other 2 cart attendants aren’t working or need help with something that doesn’t require a lot of unnecessary disrespect or refusing to help like you’re supposed to. And thanks for the wishes by the way, I respect that.
I understand and appreciate how difficult it can be for cart attendants since I've filled in occasionally when a cart attendant called out. It's physical and you're asked to help with spills and other tasks like back-up cashiering and taking out the hangar bins. I actually think that's a pretty good idea to have more team members cross-trained to help out but at least at my store, a lot of the team members refuse to do carts and it leaves everything to only a few cart attendants.

It might not mean much but I believe that you're hard-working and that you will be able to move on and find another job and succeed with your work ethic and I can see why you are frustrated with your situation.

Target is a shit show. Well, atleast the one I work for. There is no real leadership. Human resourse people are not approachable. So, what do you do? I don't even know if there is a store manager.
Exactly this company is such a joke, It’s like being in high school again and the workload for some positions makes it impossible when a lot happens during the shift and that I’m not getting more than 5-6 hours a shift. Management sucks at my work too except for the few that are somewhat decent.

I understand and appreciate how difficult it can be for cart attendants since I've filled in occasionally when a cart attendant called out. It's physical and you're asked to help with spills and other tasks like back-up cashiering and taking out the hangar bins. I actually think that's a pretty good idea to have more team members cross-trained to help out but at least at my store, a lot of the team members refuse to do carts and it leaves everything to only a few cart attendants.

It might not mean much but I believe that you're hard-working and that you will be able to move on and find another job and succeed with your work ethic and I can see why you are frustrated with your situation.
I appreciate you understanding, Not a lot do and managers don’t bother to train, It’s all computer based and not everyone is all about learning on a computer only. And unfortunately whether people like it or not, Target only mostly hires soft or sensitive people and they rather have people who do work there that aren’t like that and fit their bs narrative to do the most or extra work. I also got a bs raise after getting my review from my one year since I joined Target on March 2020. How do my bosses come up with me only getting a 6 cent raise? I bust my ass and do more than most people up front. I should be getting at least 25 cents.

I appreciate you understanding, Not a lot do and managers don’t bother to train, It’s all computer based and not everyone is all about learning on a computer only. And unfortunately whether people like it or not, Target only mostly hires soft or sensitive people and they rather have people who do work there that aren’t like that and fit their bs narrative to do the most or extra work. I also got a bs raise after getting my review from my one year since I joined Target on March 2020. How do my bosses come up with me only getting a 6 cent raise? I bust my ass and do more than most people up front. I should be getting at least 25 cents.

Yeah, yeah. Everyone except you is a soft snowflake. We get it. That attitude is why you got 6 cents. The problem is you, not your coworkers. Get over yourself.

I get your frustration but I'm kind of confused by what you mean when you say "It's all computer based and not everyone is all about learning on a computer only." I don't agree with the fact that your raise was only 6 cents considering all you are assigned and asked to do on a daily basis so I'm totally with you on that.

Yeah, yeah. Everyone except you is a soft snowflake. We get it. That attitude is why you got 6 cents. The problem is you, not your coworkers. Get over yourself.
Not everyone is and you must be one of those people that are part of the problem with why Target is the way it is from the way you’re talking. And you don’t even know me. 😂

I get your frustration but I'm kind of confused by what you mean when you say "It's all computer based and not everyone is all about learning on a computer only." I don't agree with the fact that your raise was only 6 cents considering all you are assigned and asked to do on a daily basis so I'm totally with you on that.
They just tell you to train on a computer basically to learn the position at first and then everything else later on. I had to ask some people how to be shown how to do things right when I first started working there last year outside of doing carts.

Went thru the same thing with my last TL. Honestly, leaders should go thru mental check before getting hired a leader. Some of these crazies slither themselves to leadership role then abuse it. Two faced people scare the hell out of me.

They just tell you to train on a computer basically to learn the position at first and then everything else later on. I had to ask some people how to be shown how to do things right when I first started working there last year outside of doing carts.
I see, that's not how most of the training is done in my store, it's hands-on like I think training should be. Yes, you're right that it's frustrating when you have to ask other team members how to do things when your team leads should have already taught you about them.

Let me start by saying that as someone who works at the front end of the store, the job itself is manageable and fairly easy to do and besides the occasional asshole customer, it's whatever. My issue is quite literally everything else that has been going on and it all started when I first began working there. I started a little over a year ago and should have immediately left when I sat through an 8hr orientation and was thrown on the register with no training literally a day later. It was a major red flag, especially since I kept getting in trouble for making mistakes and had to keep reminding my managers I was never trained for the job. You would think that they would finally decide to formally train me instead of acting surprised every time I made a mistake but nope, they just went on about their day.

The biggest red flag was my team leader, who I will call Janet. I should have known shit would hit the fan when she would reprimand me for things I did when she wasn't even here and I soon learned that Janet would sit in the parking lot after clocking out and would watch us, which creeped us all out, especially the cart attendants. She is also rude, has no idea how to properly speak to people and has a habit of singling out an employee when she's in a bad mood and harassing them their entire shift. Me and multiple other coworkers are constantly being pulled into her office to be reprimanded over small petty shit like not greeting every single guest that walks into the store when cleaning carts or forgetting to highlight the survey at the end of the receipt and putting our name every now and then. I can't even ask for her help because she has a nasty ass attitude and says shit like, "I am not a fairy. I can't pull out my magic wand and magically fix the problem, figure it out yourself," like...okay? And it has been like this since I started when she lashed out at me on my first day of work because I had no idea where the lockers were.

It has gotten worse ever since we got a new director for the store who practically encourages her way of management. Multiple people have quit because of Janet and despite being reported constantly, they only end up talking to her which literally does nothing. The only thing she has stopped doing since being reported is showing up to work drunk after clocking out, which should have gotten her fired. I am constantly on edge and watching over my shoulder because she has a habit of keeping a close eye on me and making sure I am doing everything to a T, and even then she'll find something to nitpick. Even when she's not here we have to deal with the new team leader reporting literally anything we do to Janet so when she comes in to work the next day she starts getting on our ass. The new team leader is too much of a pussy to tell us to our face that something we're doing is bothering her and knows we hate Janet so she uses that to her advantage. It is an uncomfortable and unhappy work environment and I am so done.
UPDATE:

I haven't been able to find a new job since no one is hiring where I live BUUUUT my manager has received so many complaints nearly every day from both workers and shoppers that they forced her to retire so HUZZAH! Hopefully things start to change around here....

UPDATE:

I haven't been able to find a new job since no one is hiring where I live BUUUUT my manager has received so many complaints nearly every day from both workers and shoppers that they forced her to retire so HUZZAH! Hopefully things start to change around here....
Glad to hear your ‘problem’ has ‘moved on’.
I believe management can be the reason you hate or love the same job.
‘May the new SETL be understanding, knowledgeable, helpful, well-trained and support you to be the best that you can be.
Keep us updated, your break room friends care.

Having been in the corporate world for 20+ years now, and an avid reader of the Ask A Manager blog, I'm convinced that having a good manager is about 80% of quality of life in any job. If your management also happens to be ownership, then you're often doubly screwed. At least in a big company a bad manager can be axed, as long as there isn't a long chain of bad managers all buddies with each other. In a small company where the manager is the owner or the owner's buddy/spouse/child who can do no wrong? Fuggedaboudit.

Your actual job duties can kind of suck, but if you've got a good manager who has your back and does what they can to support the team, you can deal with it. If the job is great but the manager does everything in their power to make it suck (whether that's their goal or not), it can drive people out of even the best jobs.

Good management is hard, don't get me wrong (I wouldn't want to do it), but so few (possibly none) companies actually recognize that and train managers appropriately and it's such a huge miss.

UPDATE:

Oh my god, the timing on this, did her name start with a J?

edit: I just read your original post more closely, sitting in the parking lot watching people, it IS her, it has to be. I heard through the grapevine about her being forced to retire and legitimately went out and bought champagne and drank the whole bottle that night. She was truly a horrible person. Can't believe I never knew about her rolling up drunk, maybe that was after my time.

Last edited:
Oh my god, the timing on this, did her name start with a J?

edit: I just read your original post more closely, sitting in the parking lot watching people, it IS her, it has to be. I heard through the grapevine about her being forced to retire and legitimately went out and bought champagne and drank the whole bottle that night. She was truly a horrible person. Can't believe I never knew about her rolling up drunk, maybe that was after my time.
The fact that you were able to figure out who I was talking about is sooo crazy because no one in their right mind would ever act the way she acted

Glad to hear your ‘problem’ has ‘moved on’.
I believe management can be the reason you hate or love the same job.
‘May the new SETL be understanding, knowledgeable, helpful, well-trained and support you to be the best that you can be.
Keep us updated, your break room friends care.
Will do! The atmosphere has definitely been lighter since she's left.

Big problems these days especially at target is all they hire is snowflake and lazy people who need a safe space and they allow mistreatment to happen and bias and workplace drama. People who support stuff like that are part of the problem on why target is a joke and why good people don’t wanna stay working for them. You might know the job description but not understand it completely and again, Definitely just as much bs dealt with than being behind a cashier register or service desk.
You claim your store is toxic while displaying a toxic mind set. You criticize bias while calling others "snowflake" and needing "safe spaces" you are portraying yourself as someone that does not have a firm grasp on what is considered a "hard job". Sorry bud but everyone deals with what a cart attendant deals with at Target, every department has its fair share of stress and drama. Those managers you criticize? Several have been CA, I was a CA and my SD and the SD at our sister store was a CA. Take the hate somewhere else. and FYI you may get in in trouble for a bad guest or not getting carts, buy your lead gets in trouble for all that from every single TM in the front, and their ETL? well they get called out for their TL's failing to get their TM in line. So get out of your "safe space" in the front and see what other departments have to put up with. Have a nice day!

You claim your store is toxic while displaying a toxic mind set. You criticize bias while calling others "snowflake" and needing "safe spaces" you are portraying yourself as someone that does not have a firm grasp on what is considered a "hard job". Sorry bud but everyone deals with what a cart attendant deals with at Target, every department has its fair share of stress and drama. Those managers you criticize? Several have been CA, I was a CA and my SD and the SD at our sister store was a CA. Take the hate somewhere else. and FYI you may get in in trouble for a bad guest or not getting carts, buy your lead gets in trouble for all that from every single TM in the front, and their ETL? well they get called out for their TL's failing to get their TM in line. So get out of your "safe space" in the front and see what other departments have to put up with. Have a nice day!
Clearly you are ignorant and probably one of the lazy people at your work. 😂 If the shoe fits and no none of them were CA. I would hate to be so ignorant.

Clearly you are offended because I’m right, That’s why I can’t wait until the day I can quit because my store refuses to improve and this company just shoves cult-like stuff and political bs and nobody wants to work for a place like that except for progressives. There’s a reason why I do my job, don’t talk to most people at my store and leave because I’m not getting involved in any HS like drama with older adults and going to suck up just to get some type of gain. Yalls comebacks are just the same stuff my kind of people say. I’m in my early 20s and sound like I have my mindset more right than a lot of people. 😂

@Duval Dawg I think this is a good chance for you to seek out a more suitable place to work, while you are still employed.

You've offered a comprehensive litany of observations and opinions about Target. Some of these are informative, others are quite subjective, some are a bit harsh. You've barely worked more than one year for Target, and in only one workcenter. I gather you are less than pleased with Target's workplace culture as well as Target's social and political advocacy efforts.

Keep in mind that career Target employees are not all the same -- I discerned a bit of stereotyping and assumptions -- and privately some may even share your concerns about the company's direction, but they remain as productive Target TMs and staff as the pluses outweigh the minuses.

Right now, retail stores are desperately trying to hire new staff. May I politely suggest that you look at employee reviews and job postings on sites like Glassdoor . As you have over one year of experience working at Target, you are a relatively desirable new hire if you can avoid criticizing your current employer during an interview. You should be able to obtain a nice pay raise if you use basic negotiating skills, given this has suddenly become a surprisingly hot job market for retail employment.

@Duval Dawg I think this is a good chance for you to seek out a more suitable place to work, while you are still employed.

You've offered a comprehensive litany of observations and opinions about Target. Some of these are informative, others are quite subjective, some are a bit harsh. You've barely worked more than one year for Target, and in only one workcenter. I gather you are less than pleased with Target's workplace culture as well as Target's social and political advocacy efforts. Keep in mind that career Target employees are not all the same, and privately they may share your concerns but they remain at Target for their own reasons.

Right now, retail stores are desperately trying to hire new staff. May I politely suggest that you look at employee reviews and job postings on sites like Glassdoor . As you have over one year of experience working at Target, you are a relatively desirable new hire if you can avoid criticizing your current employer during an interview. You should be able to obtain a nice pay raise if you use basic negotiating skills, given this has suddenly become a surprisingly hot job market for retail employment.
I have been looking and I’m aware people are different and that’s fine, But the fact people are soft and don’t wanna do all their work and let others who work hard do it for them and literally have nothing better to do than talk gossip and drama is sad and ridiculous. And what makes me even more mad is how people think that’s ok and defend it, It’s work, that’s how it is. You have to do things you don’t like. I’m tired of how CA’s are treated and all the garbage and yet management wonders why over 15 people have quit in the last month or moved to different stores. Clearly the problem is them and how they do things. I will say this thank you for actually being more proactive unlike some people here.

UPDATE:

Huzzah! I wish I could get forced to rsign with a year's severance pay... but alas, I'm just one of the low people

Back