"I deserve more money because/than/for...."

In mid 2020 right after the pay bump I went to my etl and told him I was fully aware that Target did not do off cycle raises ( I knew they did though as I'd seen it a time or two) but that with my experience and stellar work history I was having a hard time making only 68 cents more an hour that any one who came in off the street after over 10 years with the company. I asked if he could get me a better rate and that if not I'd still work just as hard but I needed to ask. At first he hesitated a bit so I told him I just felt I brought more to the table than 68 cents more than the minimum starting rate. He told me he agreed and he'd go to bat for me, couple weeks later he called me and told me the SD approved an ad hoc raise for me. So it is definitely possible to get an off cycle raise.

The originator of this post appears to have been turned down for not having the education credentials.

Hang in there.
On the contrary. I worked for Target for over a decade, left and despite not being qualified via education, taught myself enough skills and utilized my retail experience to get into the IT sector doing something I enjoy.

I make a comfortable salary over 6 figures, work from home, and have all the time and freedom I need to spend with family.

That was the entire point, your skills are transferrable - but unless you get out there and make your life better, it isn't going to get better. Has nothing to do with fair.

Seriously, if you train for a different department than the one you were hired for you should get a raise.
It doesn't have to be a big one but anytime you become more valuable to the company, and you do that by making it possible for them to schedule you wherever they need you, then they should pay you more.
Longevity does not mean a high level of skills but that is often the case.
If someone proves themselves highly competent, an increase in pay is obvious.

But most of all everyone deserves a living wage and not to worry about their hours cut so that they have to use vacation hours to pay their bills.
That is some kind of fucking bullshit.
It doesn't matter if you a sourdough or a rank cheechako, you deserve to be able to live on one job and not have to kill yourself to survive.
Not that I disagree with what you're saying.

But the danger of a one sided view like this is that while people are waiting for what they deserve they're not bettering their situation.

Idealism is great but it doesn't track with reality. It's far more effective to be a pragmatist while trying to help push for the ideal.

For example I spent a lot of time bettering my situation - but I also use a lot of what I have learned to help others better their situations or push for better working conditions (was a union steward, currently offer pro bono mentor services for new college graduates helping them with resumes and job offer negotiations)

Not that I disagree with what you're saying.

But the danger of a one sided view like this is that while people are waiting for what they deserve they're not bettering their situation.

Idealism is great but it doesn't track with reality. It's far more effective to be a pragmatist while trying to help push for the ideal.

For example I spent a lot of time bettering my situation - but I also use a lot of what I have learned to help others better their situations or push for better working conditions (was a union steward, currently offer pro bono mentor services for new college graduates helping them with resumes and job offer negotiations)

I missed the part where I said that you shouldn't help other people.
In fact it would be a whole lot easier to help people better themselves if you weren't worried about making your rent.
My wife was a union steward for her teachers union and spent a ridiculous amount of time teaching people how to deal with all the paperwork involved with getting getting refunded for your educational credits.
I swear the every system makes it harder to then necessary to do that kind of thing.

Idealism only doesn't track with reality as long as think that you can't change things.
Being a pragmatist is fine, deciding to change what is bullshit can make things better for everyone.
If not now, then down the road.
My grandfather knew that when he was doing union organizing for the IWW.

I missed the part where I said that you shouldn't help other people.
In fact it would be a whole lot easier to help people better themselves if you weren't worried about making your rent.
My wife was a union steward for her teachers union and spent a ridiculous amount of time teaching people how to deal with all the paperwork involved with getting getting refunded for your educational credits.
I swear the every system makes it harder to then necessary to do that kind of thing.

Idealism only doesn't track with reality as long as think that you can't change things.
Being a pragmatist is fine, deciding to change what is bullshit can make things better for everyone.
If not now, then down the road.
My grandfather knew that when he was doing union organizing for the IWW.
I think there is a difference between "things can change" and "I can change things"

Both are true.

But I also feel that most people believe the first one, but not the second, so they don't take action, they wait for others. You have to take action, and I want people to know that even if they feel unqualified or like they can't be more - they can. They just have to go do something to get there.

Once enough people start taking action on their own behalf, then I think we'll see a lot more positive movement on forms of group organization - which as you have said - is really what can be the ultimate driver of lasting change.

I think there is a difference between "things can change" and "I can change things"

Both are true.

But I also feel that most people believe the first one, but not the second, so they don't take action, they wait for others. You have to take action, and I want people to know that even if they feel unqualified or like they can't be more - they can. They just have to go do something to get there.

Once enough people start taking action on their own behalf, then I think we'll see a lot more positive movement on forms of group organization - which as you have said - is really what can be the ultimate driver of lasting change.

I want people to know that too.
In fact that is what I do every day, letting people with disabilities know that there is a path to the job market.
That they have skills and abilities they didn't realize they had, that we can help them find the right place for them and help them gain the skills they need for the perfect job.

But here's the thing.
Sometimes it doesn't work, at least not the first time they come in.
Their lives are so complicated and difficult that they ask us to close their case or just fall off the radar all together.
Part of the problem is that most people with disabilities live so far below the poverty line they can barely even see it from where they are at.
We can only help with job stuff, not food or rent or child care.
It sucks terribly.

But they come back.
Sometimes more than once.
Until they are in a place where they can be successful.
It just would have been nice if their lives weren't so totally fucked up that they could have worked with us the first time.
Which is why we need Universal Health Care and better protections at jobs for people with disabilities (don't get me started on what a crap job the ADA does).

Don't get me wrong, I respect everything you are doing.
And I can see your point. in many ways.
But there are way too many things that can't be fixed by just the individual and need to be fixed on a systemic level.

I want people to know that too.
In fact that is what I do every day, letting people with disabilities know that there is a path to the job market.
That they have skills and abilities they didn't realize they had, that we can help them find the right place for them and help them gain the skills they need for the perfect job.

But here's the thing.
Sometimes it doesn't work, at least not the first time they come in.
Their lives are so complicated and difficult that they ask us to close their case or just fall off the radar all together.
Part of the problem is that most people with disabilities live so far below the poverty line they can barely even see it from where they are at.
We can only help with job stuff, not food or rent or child care.
It sucks terribly.

But they come back.
Sometimes more than once.
Until they are in a place where they can be successful.
It just would have been nice if their lives weren't so totally fucked up that they could have worked with us the first time.
Which is why we need Universal Health Care and better protections at jobs for people with disabilities (don't get me started on what a crap job the ADA does).

Don't get me wrong, I respect everything you are doing.
And I can see your point. in many ways.
But there are way too many things that can't be fixed by just the individual and need to be fixed on a systemic level.
100% agree.

Feel strongly that those of us fortunate enough to be able to put ourselves in a position to better ourselves should do so, and then we should use that position to help better others.

You're right. Speaking personally, a lot of people just aren't able to make change happen or take what they want in life. It's contrary to their personality and not something they could ever do. Those people tend to be hard workers as well, which means they often aren't rewarded for the effort they put in.

You're right. Speaking personally, a lot of people just aren't able to make change happen or take what they want in life. It's contrary to their personality and not something they could ever do. Those people tend to be hard workers as well, which means they often aren't rewarded for the effort they put in.

People who were raised to be 'good soldiers' or who just aren't confrontational?
The Protestant work ethic has done more damage to our culture than just about anything else.
Joe Hill wrote a song called, "You'll Get Pie In The Sky When You Die".
Way to many people have taken that to heart, that you will be rewarded for killing yourself with work when you shuffle off the mortal coil.

Or there are a lot of people who aren't comfortable being confrontational and that based.
There is nothing wrong with not wanting to get in people's faces and demand your fair share.
That's where assholes like me come in.
Well, assholes like my family in general, grandpa was doing it long before I was a born.

Systemic change is a bitch.
It takes long, hard hammering and it's not required for everyone to do it.
It's just like I don't expect everyone who was in lockdown to have written a book or learned how to cook sourdough bread.
You just do the best you can.

Back