I finally had the talk with my etl

the day i came back from covid leave, my etl finally called me to the leads' offices and informed me that he will be letting me go and not offering an on demand position.
the next seasonal period that they'll be hiring for is june since school will be out. idk if i'll want to come back to target in 6 months but it doesnt hurt to let him keep my contact info
im bummed out because target paid pretty well for an entry level job in my area. i also liked it and made a few acquaintances.
but also im just glad the bandaid got ripped off. i dont like hoping and worrying about whether i will be staying or not.

on another note, the front end let me learn a little reshop and it was fun being able to do that without the pressure of time constraints
i was able to share contact info with the people i want to be friends with :)
and every little bit of experience i gained at target will be useful in my next job

It's hard to stay as On Demand from seasonal, can even be impossible depending on the store's needs. We kept exactly one of my TMs for On Demand. His attendance was perfect, he worked hard under "the pressure of time constraints," and always found ways to be an asset to the team. The seasonal crop this year was frankly disastrous and shameful overall. Attitude, poor attendance, leaving work randomly, being on the phone, socializing, and general selfish head-in-clouds behavior. Made me wonder if somehow the effects of Covid and the shutdowns and precautions fucked up the brains of pretty much every single kid new to the workforce. And if Covid isn't to blame and this is just the way people are now, our future is doomed.

On demand is basically impossible for a seasonal hire. The point is if you only work every 6 weeks then they want to make sure you know what you are doing and don't need to be trained and retrained. Only certain areas are able to have odtms. Glad you had a somewhat pleasant experience at Target I feel like most don't nowadays. Also everything is timed at Target whether there is an actual stopwatch telling you or not, even reshop has expectations of getting done quickly.

It's hard to stay as On Demand from seasonal, can even be impossible depending on the store's needs. We kept exactly one of my TMs for On Demand. His attendance was perfect, he worked hard under "the pressure of time constraints," and always found ways to be an asset to the team. The seasonal crop this year was frankly disastrous and shameful overall. Attitude, poor attendance, leaving work randomly, being on the phone, socializing, and general selfish head-in-clouds behavior. Made me wonder if somehow the effects of Covid and the shutdowns and precautions fucked up the brains of pretty much every single kid new to the workforce. And if Covid isn't to blame and this is just the way people are now, our future is doomed.
well, i completely understand why they had to let me go.
but this is my first real job where i made personal developments. and i wasn't *perfect* but i was punctual most days and stayed at least as long as my shifts were. i could barely do fulfillment because my body is too fragile and sensitive to pain. OPU general batches and SFS batches ended up being my worst enemy. i still did the other kinds of batches and helped front end a lot.

and i guess i should have worded it differently when i meant "time constraints". of course there is a need to do everything on time.
i have a lot of respect for my peers who got extremely good at picking and working against the clock, even finding difficult clothes deep in boxes with the rfid in the back room. i wanted to be fast and efficient like them, but good time management is learned and i still have quite a long way to go

well, i completely understand why they had to let me go.
but this is my first real job where i made personal developments. and i wasn't *perfect* but i was punctual most days and stayed at least as long as my shifts were. i could barely do fulfillment because my body is too fragile and sensitive to pain. OPU general batches and SFS batches ended up being my worst enemy. i still did the other kinds of batches and helped front end a lot.

and i guess i should have worded it differently when i meant "time constraints". of course there is a need to do everything on time.
i have a lot of respect for my peers who got extremely good at picking and working against the clock, even finding difficult clothes deep in boxes with the rfid in the back room. i wanted to be fast and efficient like them, but good time management is learned and i still have quite a long way to go
Yeah there is a lot to learn and many things you won't learn just doing one area. In order to be quick there is definitely things that aren't taught that help. Good luck maybe you will have another chance at Target later, or atleast find another job that you enjoy.

Back