Archived I got fired but its kinda sketchy

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got into 2 incidents with managers(O/N Etl and Flow TL) in the last 2 week that involved name calling, yelling, and cursing on both sides. the first time they let me keep my job the second time they sent me home and told me they would talk to me about it tommorow(which is really today).

When I came in today they told me they would pay me full shifts for yesterday and today but I was fired.

It was the other O/N ETL that told me this not HR... I didnt sign any paper work their was no witnesses present when they let me go. the first time I was allowed to say my side of the story but the second time they didnt even let me do that they just fired me.

I think this is real sketchy and wrong. Even though I dont want to be in a job where the management dont want me their I still dont want them to get away with something like this so what should I do who should I call? should I call the 1800 number for HR or talk to my own's store HR. she was nice before and what not but this time I was actually told that they were letting me go.

I also got 5 witnesses that were their during the incident that said they would back me up and they saw everything too.

Last edited:
I told them it didnt make any sense and just walked out cause I didnt want to say anything else that would incriminate me also.

Talk to your stores HR person, you have the right to that.

I don't think it's going to help any but give it a shot.

Anytime you get into a yelling match with a boss, the first time you might be able to slide, the second time you're toast.

well this TL was throwing boxes at me and making my job difficult and I'm the one that gets fired... this seems real sketchy too me.

I read this and rolled my eyes. You actually think you deserve to keep your job after you name called, cursed and yelled with an ETL and TL twice in two weeks? Generally management does not get out of hand (they are adult professionals) so obviously you provoked them somehow. You are a grown adult and you are supposed to conduct yourself as such or suffer the consequences (termination). It's interesting to me that you think you can be "backed up" or that your termination was "sketchy".

I read this and rolled my eyes. You actually think you deserve to keep your job after you name called, cursed and yelled with an ETL and TL twice in two weeks? Generally management does not get out of hand (they are adult professionals) so obviously you provoked them somehow. You are a grown adult and you are supposed to conduct yourself as such or suffer the consequences (termination). It's interesting to me that you think you can be "backed up" or that your termination was "sketchy".

FIrst of all I did not ask for your opinion on the matter. I asked if what they did was right and what I should do next. If you are not gonna answer those questions I prefer you stay out of this thread

hey did not give me any representation... I did not get get say my side of the story I just get an etl telling me they are letting me go. I've been working 2 years and have been a good employee and had no incidents until the last 2 weeks. no paper work. I want to go collect unemployment I need paper work for that. Not to mention the only person that did write down a statement was the TL who came to my work station dropping boxes that did not belong in that section and when I pick them up and give it back to him he throws it back at me.

Every other people that were witness to the situation said he was in the wrong for that and they even told me if it came down to it they would back me up... when you have 5 team members saying a team lead did something wrong do you still honestly think its the team member's fault. If you think the way they went about this is right then you are just as bad as them.

and some of our management are very unprofessional. The etl that fired me is probably the most professional out of all of the over night managers and I still find this whole thing really sketchy.

I'm almost positive that in order to get termed, you need to go through the process of being coached and then put on corrective action and then put on a final, and THEN screwing up once more. I have never heard of someone just walking in and getting fired with no warning. If this really happened like this and you weren't even on a coaching, you need to talk to HR and/or the hotline.

I suspect they put him on the Final the first time there was a screaming match and the second time was the end of it.
Or if someone said they felt threatened or in danger and they teamed up with the DHR it is possible to skip the normal firing process, which is why I said he needs to talk to HR.
If he was fired for that he's going to have a tough time collecting unemployment.
There will be an unemployment hearing on the reason he was fired so he does need to get all the information he can.

You'll get unemployment if you mention the management conducted physical violence and threw boxes at you. Get a lawyer and you'll probably be able to file law suit against target which will more than likely take 6+ years before anything comes of it.

I received unemployment after getting into a verbal confrontation with the new store leader which decided to harass me in the middle of the sales floor because she wanted to know what exactly were in my reports to the hotline. While that wasn't the only angle I played, it sure helped in receiving unemployment, over $5,000 before I found a full-time position which will never cut my hours.

Don't listen to most on this forum. You did the right thing by standing up for yourself against a corrupt corporation who doesn't care about their employees. Almost everyone in every target has experienced and witnessed the unprofessionalism that management portrays on a constant basis.

I don't want to see the new generation just sit back and take it like most employees for this corporation do, but then again the majority of employees don't need a living and don't want to work full-time which is why they still work for target.

I believe you were a good employee for 2 years and you deserved better. Corporate encourages management to dismiss employees who have been working for years so they can hire someone else for less. They get away with it because not enough people are standing up for themselves and reporting their findings to the proper authorities.

What most have to go through with this corporation is very sad and heartbreaking and things can be accomplished but only when you have the courage to do so. Otherwise, like majority of employees who just need a part-time job because their parents make them or while they go to school, if you need a living there are much better places to work which will care a whole lot more than target will.

I applaud you. This corporation should be taking care of employees who put in so many years while they do not provide a living wage or enough hours to get by. They should not be treating them like slaves that should be breaking their backs for 15 hours a week.

It is a sketchy situation and they know they can get away with it because they probably figure you don't have the means or courage to file a law suit which you should. But unemployment is easier to obtain than a law suit. You don't need any paperwork, just appeal with a letter writing down all the malfeasance you've witnessed and endured and you should be fine. Make sure to include the physical violence with leaders throwing boxes at you along with every aspect of unprofessionalism which made you uncomfortable in your work environment. Most importantly, don't listen to those attacking your stance on this forum, they are protecting the corporation and think they are going to be promoted in target one day but they never will. They'll learn the hard way.

In the store I worked at, no one lasted much longer than 2 years. Those that did, management found a way to terminate them which usually consisted of writing people up for things that were complete lies. I helped most of them obtain unemployment which they did not think they would receive. I am spot's bane.

You can go directly to a final warning for conduct. If there were any threats of violence it can be an immediate termination.Also if you live in an "at will" state, they don't even need a reason.

^This.

And if you truly valued your job, you would do what all of us do. You'd bite your tongue and work through it, document the actions of the TL/ETL that you feel is being abusive, and go to HR with your complaint. If they aren't acting on it, then you have the hotline. There are employee safeguards for a reason, but instead you chose to handle it poorly and you found yourself terminated. You don't have my sympathy.

No one can really comment on if you should of/should not of been fired since no one here has any clue on what actually transpired. Assuming management is in the wrong here, document as much as you can about the incidents, try and get written+signed statements of what your co-workers witnessed, and hire a lawyer if you can afford it. And make sure to file for unemployment. Worst case scenario is that you end up not getting unemployment, and waste your former manager's time fighting the claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back