Archived "I have a chemistry degree and I'm working retail hahahaha"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know. Everyone make themselves feel superior to others by pretending you would be able to make different life choices for someone. It'll be great.

First, we pretend we have a time machine.
Second, we pretend we have the ability to take over someone's consciousness.
Third, we don't do anything about our own ****ty lives, we just tell them how we would do so much better at theirs.

What a capital idea.

People do this all the time... it's called having children.

People who get through college of nearly any sort, especially if they put themselves through school and still manage to excel, have every right to be proud of themselves.

That said, going to college, of any sort, does not mean you have a right to expect a particular outcome immediately as a result of said schooling. Never has, doesn't now, never will, IMHO.

Me, all I've gotten ( so far-hey, the night is dark, but I'm not dead yet ) to show for my education is my "Good Enuf Diploma", and I have long wanted to go to further schooling, but I made up my mind a long time ago that if I were going to add that level of struggle & sacrifice to my life it would be for a degree that would mean something to me rather than to simply be able to truthfully say iwent to school (DEFINITELY no one around here paying for me to party,or anything else, except me...)

People who get through college of nearly any sort, especially if they put themselves through school and still manage to excel, have every right to be proud of themselves.

That said, going to college, of any sort, does not mean you have a right to expect a particular outcome immediately as a result of said schooling. Never has, doesn't now, never will, IMHO.

Me, all I've gotten ( so far-hey, the night is dark, but I'm not dead yet ) to show for my education is my "Good Enuf Diploma", and I have long wanted to go to further schooling, but I made up my mind a long time ago that if I were going to add that level of struggle & sacrifice to my life it would be for a degree that would mean something to me rather than to simply be able to truthfully say iwent to school (DEFINITELY no one around here paying for me to party,or anything else, except me...)

Ok, ok.... I see what everyone is saying. No disrespect to people who went to college legit, took it seriously, made nothing but A's and B's, read every book cover to cover, graduated with high honors, etc. Especially if they worked while doing it. I have said before and I will say it again - I respect these people to a great extent. These are the people who have people skills, will become true leaders, and will help make this country and the world better.

Now, on the other side, let's all be honest.... there are a sh** load of people who went through college, had it 100% paid for by mom and dad, pulled C's and D's, spent every night partying, took the summer time to travel to Europe on mom and dad's cash, spent every spring break drunk at some beach, and maybe read the first ten pages of a few books during 4-5 years time.

These people are *easily identifiable*. They usually go around bragging about their degree (to convince themselves and others that they actually learned a lot in college when they clearly did not), while also alluding to the fun they had with their sorority/frat cohorts. Again, let's be honest, a lot of these people end up as ETLs at Target.

These are the people who often are dumb as bricks, have no leadership/people skills to speak of, are lazy and command the store from their walkie, and generally are complete frauds who pass themselves off as being "college educated".

These are the people I have no respect for, and it irritates me to no end that they walk around like they are gods while TMs/TLs who could easily run circles around them as ETLs if they were given the same opportunities in life. Many of these TMs come from broken families, families that lived in poverty, or otherwise didn't have it made from the day they were born.

I'm not saying that that isn't life and that I expect it to change.... but I don't have to like it.

I realize how lucky I am every time I come to work. All the ETL's at my store are young, educated, attractive individuals who treat us (the team members) with respect and make work fun. I can say the same about the Team Leads at my store. All are great and teach us plenty. It's definitely the best part about working in a newly built store.

I made Bs and Cs in college. I may have had one or two As in undergrad. I worked hard for those, thank you very much. Unfortunately, my degree was not the right fit for me, and it showed in my grades. I am not dumb as bricks, have improved my leadership and people skills dramatically and am excelling in grad school. Despite what you may think, I didn't go around talking about my undergrad degree like it meant some great thing after I got it. And only those who work closely with me at Spot know even know I'm in graduate school.

Like SKP pointed out, it is so easy to go around and think that we could have done someone else's life better. But when you get to know them...the ETL whose son is autistic and doesn't like to speak of it...the SrTL who's family up and moved half way across the country leaving her on her own most holidays...the STL struggling with a medical condition that he isn't taking care of properly because he's too busy working...

Look, not all ETLs, STLs, or whoever else are stellar people who should be in their current roles. But to think that we somehow could have played their cards better...when we're doing the best with the hand we have...knowing others think we could/should be doing better....is absolutely arrogant.

I made Bs and Cs in college. I may have had one or two As in undergrad. I worked hard for those, thank you very much. Unfortunately, my degree was not the right fit for me, and it showed in my grades. I am not dumb as bricks, have improved my leadership and people skills dramatically and am excelling in grad school. Despite what you may think, I didn't go around talking about my undergrad degree like it meant some great thing after I got it. And only those who work closely with me at Spot know even know I'm in graduate school.

Like SKP pointed out, it is so easy to go around and think that we could have done someone else's life better. But when you get to know them...the ETL whose son is autistic and doesn't like to speak of it...the SrTL who's family up and moved half way across the country leaving her on her own most holidays...the STL struggling with a medical condition that he isn't taking care of properly because he's too busy working...

Look, not all ETLs, STLs, or whoever else are stellar people who should be in their current roles. But to think that we somehow could have played their cards better...when we're doing the best with the hand we have...knowing others think we could/should be doing better....is absolutely arrogant.

Again, I'm not talking about ETLs who had it rough. I'm not talking about people who made D's and C's and really struggled to do the best they can.

I am talking about people who absolutely have had everything handed to them in life, have had virtually no problems in life, and basically worked/tried for nothing in life.... yet walk around like they are gods and rub a degree in peoples face in an attempt to feel superior.

I am not talking about people like you Retail Girl. You don't run around your store reminding every TM in the store that you have a degree and they don't every chance you get, do you? You don't run around bragging you are in grad school, do you? You actually tried hard in school and haven't had everything handed to you, right? If this is all true about you - then why in the world would you defend people who have had everything handed to them in life, never made any effort in school, and yet run around and brag to everyone about it?

It took me 6 to 7 months to find out most of this. People don't generally advertise their hurts right away to people, so it's easy to make assumptions about how great and easy and privileged people's lives are. My entire point is that you may not have their entire life story yet and may not have all the facts.

We all know the ETLs have degrees...but how they got to them is anyone's guess/assumption.

But beyond that, I'm out and you are welcome to the last word. :)

None of my ETLs talk about their degrees. I wear a teeeny tiny pin of my school's mascot on game days, but no one knows what it means and I don't brag about it (but I hated my major and regret it, so there's that)

Your ETL is probably unhappy about not working in her field. Maybe she's attempting to make light of the situation. You know, "laugh to keep yourself from crying"

Then maybe she should have gotten a better GPA and GRE score and went on to Graduate school.

I think red got married & had kids, instead. no time for grad school.

I think Darikona is talking about the ETL HR
I hope so....

Of course I was.

Cool!
Just how big can this thing get?

I have absolutely NO idea.

Then maybe she should have gotten a better GPA and GRE score and went on to Graduate school.

I hope so....

Of course I was.

Cool!

We had to have known this was going to happen.

I hope so....

Of course I was.

Cool!

We used to have a thread in an old forum that consisted entirely of one of these.
The joke was that we were trying to cause the thread to eat itself.

I hope so....

Of course I was.

Cool!

We used to have a thread in an old forum that consisted entirely of one of these.

This looks much better on my laptop than my iPad...by the time I read the first one I quoted, it was one or two characters wide in the original quote.

I hope so....

Of course I was.

Cool!

This looks much better on my laptop than my iPad...by the time I read the first one I quoted, it was one or two characters wide in the original quote.

How is that? I've never owned an ipad, only an ipod touch :(

I hope so....

Of course I was.

Cool!

Me neither.

I hope so....

Of course I was.

Cool!

Me neither.

From my ipad!

I hope so....

Of course I was.

Cool!

Me neither.

From my ipad!

From my Flippin $400 iPhone that I still can't figure out, why I bought :huh:

On another note, I've temporarily owned a iPod Video, and a iMac.. not really anything else cool though :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back