Archived "I have a chemistry degree and I'm working retail hahahaha"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno why you're ragging on other people's tendency to mention having a degree, when you went back to Spot. Again.

It's annoying to hear, I'm sure. Maybe because it reminds you of a personal failing? Do something about it.

I have a music degree and graduated in 2009, I've been working my up the ladder since I started with Target. My new ETL just graduated from the same school I graduated from and now he's my boss. Oh yes, and one of the other ETL's I have graduated from the same school and class (2009) as me. Don't you just love irony? What I like to say is that I apparently missed ETL recruitment day at my university.

I have a music degree and graduated in 2009, I've been working my up the ladder since I started with Target. My new ETL just graduated from the same school I graduated from and now he's my boss. Oh yes, and one of the other ETL's I have graduated from the same school and class (2009) as me. Don't you just love irony? What I like to say is that I apparently missed ETL recruitment day at my university.

No, you didn't miss recruiting day.

They simply went to www.target.com/careers clicked "salaried careers" and directly applied for an ETL job.

You went to www.target.com/careers and clicked "hourly positions" and directly applied for a TM job.... even though you had a degree.

Don't know what else to say.... you get the job you apply for.

FYI - all the "recruiters" do when they visit colleges is tell people to go to www.target.com/careers and apply for intern/ETL jobs on there. No one actually applies for a job with them, nor do they hire/interview anyone. They simply visit colleges to let people know they can apply for an ETL job with a degree and tell them the "great" reasons for working at Target.

This is just like a friend I have that works at UPS throwing boxes into trucks and complains to me he isn't a driver and complains one of his friends got to be a driver. What job did he apply for? Box thrower. What job did his friend apply for? Driver.

What job did he apply for? Box thrower. What job did his friend apply for? Driver.
UPS is unionized and EVERYTHING is based upon seniority. His friend did not just apply to be a driver from the get-go. They have enough backlog of handlers looking to make the jump up to driver that they don't need to hire externally to fill. You think those handlers want to keep working minimum wage for 17.5 hours per week when they have seniority to be a driver and make $30/hr?

No, you didn't miss recruiting day.

They simply went to www.target.com/careers clicked "salaried careers" and directly applied for an ETL job.

You went to www.target.com/careers and clicked "hourly positions" and directly applied for a TM job.... even though you had a degree.

Don't know what else to say.... you get the job you apply for.

This is true, but when most people think about working at Target, it's the hourly positions that they're thinking of.

How did I get hired at Target? I had just moved back home after graduation and was taking grad classes at the local university. A friend from college was there and we went to Target together one day. I thought, "Hey, I need something to get by with" so I sat down and applied for an hourly position. Target was a "get me by" job while I was in school for my teaching license.

My last semester at that university, I did notice some of my ETLs in the student union at a table talking to people. So yes, some are recruited that way.

In my experience, I think people just don't know that ETL is an option, especially non-business degree people like me.

I applied for cashier and was hired as that...and hated it. So yes, you get what you apply for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back