Archived I have questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone tell me what I should ask about? Still, all I'm doing right now is zoning, gobacks, vibe, and back-up cashier. Is this normal for someone on "hardlines - sales floor"? I mean, I definitely work hard and try to make the place look good and pick-up strays and help guests, but I just feel like I can do more. Zoning 80% of my shift just seems too easy.

I definitely want to ask about doing the CAFs and I want to learn how to work the printer, but other than that I don't really have any clue on what more I should learn. I have never even touched a PDA.

Oh, and my trainer had to do "plano" last week. Is "plano" something someone is trained for? Or can I randomly be asked one day to do "plano"?

Thanks for putting up with me guys.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what I should ask about? Still, all I'm doing right now is zoning, gobacks, vibe, and back-up cashier. Is this normal for someone on "hardlines - sales floor"? I mean, I definitely work hard and try to make the place look good and pick-up strays and help guests, but I just feel like I can do more. Zoning 80% of the my shift just seems too easy.

I definitely want to ask about doing the CAFs and I want to learn how to work the printer, but other than that I don't really have any clue on what more I should learn. I have never even touched a PDA.

Oh, and my trainer had to do "plano" last week. Is "plano" something someone is trained for? Or can I randomly be asked one day to do "plano"?

Thanks for putting up with me guys.

Plano is something you can be trained for and if they do schedule you, jump on it.

Additional things you can do while you zone

-Remerchandise Clearance. You know those messy messy endcaps in stationary with clearance just thrown on it? It's a pain to clean up. Your team lead will love you if you straighten it up.

-PTM. Those aisles with lots of holes and lots of clearance that has sold off. Furniture and Bedding right now look like crap because of it. Get some cover up labels...scan a hole. If it's discontinued or clearance, put a cover up label on it because the store isn't going to get that item back in. Then spread out whatever is next to it. Make that aisle look pretty!

-Pick something to super zone, and let your LOD know about it. Travel baskets, master locks, command hooks, binders, notebooks...something that gets really messy really easily...let the LOD know that you noticed it's bad and ask them if it's okay if you spend some extra time to super zone it. Then suggest they put it on the night notes so in-stocks can research it in the morning. You'll get noticed for going above and beyond.

And the plano team is just a completely different work center. They're in charge of setting the aisles/endcaps. You definitely have to be trained on it.

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the advice.

-Remerchandise Clearance. You know those messy messy endcaps in stationary with clearance just thrown on it? It's a pain to clean up. Your team lead will love you if you straighten it up.
I actually did that once in electronics. TL seemed to notice, they wished me luck, haha.

-Pick something to super zone, and let your LOD know about it. Travel baskets, master locks, command hooks, binders, notebooks...something that gets really messy really easily...let the LOD know that you noticed it's bad and ask them if it's okay if you spend some extra time to super zone it. Then suggest they put it on the night notes so in-stocks can research it in the morning. You'll get noticed for going above and beyond.
Man, I tried to organize the binders in our store, but it's..... too much. Lol. I could've probably spent an hour (at least) just organizing the binders. If anyone has any tips on how to organize them, I'd love to hear it (other than placing the binders front and back).

Last edited:
Should I ask to be trained on a PDA or is that more of a flow/backroom thing?

Depending on what shift you're working, you'll have different responsibilities. If you've mostly been working closings, zoning is the main thing. Mornings are a little different. Preferably they'll train you how to use the printer with both a mydevice and a PDA, but it really depends on how much equipment your store has to go around. TLs are usually the ones who handle salesplanners but they love to delegate responsibility (lol) so you'll probably be shown how to do those eventually too. As far as CAFs, some stores have the backroom team exclusively handle those, with the SF team only assisting when there's a lot to push and not enough BRTMs. Just keep being reliable and hardworking. Once they know they can count on you and your work, they will train you to do more and expect more from you. Whether that's a good thing or not is up to you. Hopefully you have a well-rounded team of good workers to make it easier.

Thank you very much @jadzia that was incredibly helpful and really great advice.
A lot of people here thought it was weird that I (as a salesfloor TM) didn't do CAFs... but I remember being told by my trainer that the backroom usually handles that... so it's really good and affirming to hear a second person say it.
Thankfully, I get along with pretty much everyone. Whether they're good workers or not... I'll have to wait and see, haha.

Depending on your store size. Salesfloor folks push cafs at smaller stores. At bigger stores, the back room may do them instead.

Depending on your store size. Salesfloor folks push cafs at smaller stores. At bigger stores, the back room may do them instead.
Ok... that's weird again because our store is low volume o_O

I'm back with some more questions.

1) Can you only pay with cash when you use your employee discount? I don't have a discount card yet so the cashier had to punch in my employee # manually... and then they told me that I had to pay in cash. I thought you could use your Redcard and your employee discount to get stuff 15% off or something?

and on that note:
2) How do I get a real discount card? Is it just a waiting game like the name tag?

3) What's the difference between push and pull?

1) Can you only pay with cash when you use your employee discount? I don't have a discount card yet so the cashier had to punch in my employee # manually... and then they told me that I had to pay in cash. I thought you could use your Redcard and your employee discount to get stuff 15% off or something?

and on that note:
2) How do I get a real discount card? Is it just a waiting game like the name tag?

3) What's the difference between push and pull?

1. You can use your TM discount with cash and the Redcard (either debit or credit). You do get an additional 5% on top of the 10% if you use the Redcard.

2. Discount cards can be ordered on eHR but since you're new, your HR team should have received it. At my store they let us know when they have it, in other stores you have to ask. Sometimes it can take a while to come in.

3. Pulling is when the Backroom Team pulls merchandise from the backroom and sets it up on flats/in tubs to be worked to the sales floor. Pushing is basically just putting the pulled merchandise out on the floor. Pulling can also be when a TM goes into the backroom to get a specific item for a guest. Most stores ask that TMs reach out to BRTMs to do this, only because you have to be trained on how to read backroom locations and how to properly pull to make sure location and stock numbers stay accurate.

@Jiminy, you can also use your discount with a check or Target gift card. You just can't use it with a 3rd-party credit or debit card.

Anyone know if you're allowed to use your discount with EBT/SNAP? Last I knew, it wasn't allowed, but I'm the last to know about front end policy changes at my store.

@Jiminy, you can also use your discount with a check or Target gift card. You just can't use it with a 3rd-party credit or debit card.

Anyone know if you're allowed to use your discount with EBT/SNAP? Last I knew, it wasn't allowed, but I'm the last to know about front end policy changes at my store.
I know my store allows for discounts to be used with SNAP. Might be a store specific decision

At my store they're kept with the paychecks at Guest Service so you might want to ask them if they have it up there.

I never had any formal training at all. I typically work in SL and the girl at the fitting room told me in broad terms what I should do. The first time I put away reshop, I was just wandering in circles because I didn't know the department. And my first attempt at zoning was just awful. Again, I had no idea what I should be doing and once it was explained, I guess I wasn't moving quickly enough. The STL at the time even took a picture of something I had done wrong so that I could be trained on it. We just hired a new person in SL. Her first week, she was assigned to the fitting room every evening, and just basically shadowed the TMs who did fitting room (I was one). But none of us really knew what to do with her short of having her sort and hang up stuff. The problem was, she didn't know how to tell one thing from another so all of Exhilaration would end up in the same place on a rack, regardless of whether it was Girls, RTW or Intimates. She was never taught how to zone, nor even use a walkie. All of us who work in SL begged the ETL-SL to get her trained because she was doing more harm than good, but their schedules never meshed. One night she was assigned to do Men's, Activewear and Intimates and had no idea what to do even though we tried to explain it to her. The departments did not look good the next day. She has yet to be assigned anywhere else except fitting room (it's been a few weeks). She's still messing up so we had the ETL make a list of the department numbers to help her understand where something should go. She's not capable of helping guests because she doesn't know the merchandise. By not letting her leave the fitting room, she's never had the chance to move around SL and see what we have in stock. She seems very nice but not the sharpest crayon in the box. I still feel badly for her. Perhaps with proper training, she would be more helpful. But she doesn't know what she doesn't know so can't even ask questions.

Your best plan is to train your new tm yourself and expose her to other tms w experience. It's in your best interest and hers in the long run. I know it can be frustrating, I've been in your shoes and hers. Try to get multiple tms on board. Ask yourself what you would do if you were a tl. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back