Archived I have questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiminy

I'd like to order 1 large person with extra people
So I officially began my training the other day and (naturally) I have questions. And yes, I have read the guides here and I've been reading threads from new hires, but I still have questions and would appreciate personal help and feedback. I do apologize in advance if any of these questions have been asked before. And I apologize for for the lengthy post.

To make it easier, I'll divide and number my questions.

1) If I have questions about anything, who would be the best to contact? For example, if I'm zoning or running gobacks (I was told that this is pretty much the majority of what I'd be doing, along with helping customers) and something comes up (could be customer related) and I have no idea what to do... is it okay to use the walkie in a situation like this? If so, who should I walkie?

2) When my trainer went on break, he let me to do some gobacks by myself (which I offered to do), but I was really slow and like 30% of the stuff I couldn't find the place for. Even when I scanned the item with the mydevice there would be no info about its whereabouts (usually dvds). What do I do with these items? Other than just placing the item where it "might" go. Also, there was a $200 smartwatch that I could not find the place for (even my trainer couldn't find the correct place). What is the procedure for something like this? I asked my trainer, but I couldn't really understand his answer, he just put it back in the "goback cart"

3) Would people understand me being slow/not knowing a lot of stuff while I get used to everything? Or will I be criticized as soon as I'm done with training, (I guess this is pretty "ASANTS")? But what are your experiences?

4) How long did it take you guys to get used to everything? Memorize where everything goes / know where something is / know what to do?

5) I seem to have been hired for hardlines, but also electronics, cashier, and even softlines? So pretty much a "jack of all trades" - this is normal right?

6) When a shelf is empty, I was told to "flex" but not really bring out stuff from the back because there are separate people that do that?

Note to mods: I guess this can be merged with the salesfloor guide once questions are answered.

I'll probably have more questions as training day 2 and 3 commence so please bear with me guys.

Oh, I should probably mention that we are a low volume store.

Big thanks to everyone that replies.

Last edited:
1) Depends on the question. If it's something a guest asks that you don't know the answer to, it's perfectly time to ask over the walkie. Like "Hey team, does anyone know if we have X in stock, and where it might be?". If it's something about policy, or a job you've been set to do, you could either ask your TL or the LOD to switch to a different channel, or come find you.

2) Depends on the item. If its media (music, dvd, books) you could always ask someone in Electronics, as they kind of manage the entertainment area. For other stuff, see if it has a repackage/clearance/online item sticker. Most of the time those items can go on a clearance endcap (usually endcaps facing away from the main aisles, and are usually marked).
Other than that, it could be an item that doesn't have a set place yet, but was flexed out. Those are far more annoying to find, but you can try looking through the general area for that type of item and see what you find. Otherwise, ask someone else. They may have seen it.

3) People will definitely understand. There are still things I'm unsure of at times.

4) Took me a while, but I didn't start doing floor shifts until a few months in, so I'm not the best one to answer

5) Yeah, those departments usually all kind of flow together. You'll probably have one area where you get most of your shifts, but you'll definitely work in other areas from time to time.

6) Be careful with flexing. If the aisle has label strips, or has a normal yellow and white POG label, then don't flex. But if it has flex labels (just labels, not entire strips) or has a red and white label near the start, you can flex. As for filling empty spots (also known as outs) the backroom usually handles that.

These may not be the best answers, I'm really fried. But I hope it helps some-what. Others will have better answers than me

Thank you very much @CashMonkey, it was very informative. I'll accept any and every advice I can get!

No locations should be back stock on DVDs or other items. On electronics, just ask the electronics tm or tl. I had the same problem on the smart watches. I had resolved it by getting the pog & correcting the shelf labels for that area.

1) If I have questions about anything, who would be the best to contact? For example, if I'm zoning or running gobacks (I was told that this is pretty much the majority of what I'd be doing, along with helping customers) and something comes up (could be customer related) and I have no idea what to do... is it okay to use the walkie in a situation like this? If so, who should I walkie?
Its a short and sweet question/answer, you can stay on the main channel. If its a complicated or long question/answer, then you will have to go to channel 2 or have some one ring you at the nearest red phone.

2) When my trainer went on break, he let me to do some gobacks by myself (which I offered to do), but I was really slow and like 30% of the stuff I couldn't find the place for. Even when I scanned the item with the mydevice there would be no info about its whereabouts (usually dvds). What do I do with these items? Other than just placing the item where it "might" go. Also, there was a $200 smartwatch that I could not find the place for (even my trainer couldn't find the correct place). What is the procedure for something like this? I asked my trainer, but I couldn't really understand his answer, he just put it back in the "goback cart"
A smart watch would be a lock up item. Depending on your store, it will be locked cabinet around its display or located in the electronics stockroom. Who ever is your Electronics person will have to restock that.

3) Would people understand me being slow/not knowing a lot of stuff while I get used to everything? Or will I be criticized as soon as I'm done with training, (I guess this is pretty "ASANTS")? But what are your experiences?
You will learn and get used to things.

4) How long did it take you guys to get used to everything? Memorize where everything goes / know where something is / know what to do?
You can learn locations for general/long standing items. But You will never memorize everything. Items will be reset and change locations, or just go out of stock. Ask your trainer for help in learning the planogram number system. A simple scan will tell you #( * ) #-#-# or aisle number (*-type of display) section-shelf-item positioning.

5) I seem to have been hired for hardlines, but also electronics, cashier, and even softlines? So pretty much a "jack of all trades" - this is normal right?
All TMs working during operating hours must be cashier trained. But its best to be cross-trained so you can increase your chance for getting hours.
6) When a shelf is empty, I was told to "flex" but not really bring out stuff from the back because there are separate people that do that?
Careful flexing. Flexing is generally only used when an area is about to be reset or large scale clearancing. Seasonal, the BIG toy reset. Clearance caps are usually always flexed. But you want to match up department like items and clearance percentage. Anywhere that has general merchandise labels is not flexible. Anywhere that doesn't having labels is generally flex areas.

This answer can be complicated, and of course asants, but there was a recent Redwire about this. Items that are Not On Planogram (NOP) need to be looked into a little bit. First, check the top right corner of your device to see if the item is discontinued. Dont backstock discontinued stuff, just flex it out somewhere that flexing is permitted. If its active, tap the item description on the mydevice and scroll down to the bottom to see if it's on a future POG. If it is, backstock the item. If it is an active item, is not on planogram and has no future POGs, use mobile mySupport. Tap the item description up top and scroll to "report issue." Select that then select "not on planogram", then backstock it. Music and movies are a little different though. Again asants, but you should not be pushing out NOP or discontinued movies. You should be back stocking them. Because there are several "return scans" throughout the year to clear out the old discontinued and NOP movies. Also, currently we are not back stocking any music for any reason. We're flexing it all out to the alphabetical music browsers.

Additional info: If you end up having to mySupport the NOP item, you will need to follow up later on to see what your action should be. You may be directed, by headquarters, to defect and salvage the item at guest service. If this sounds like too much, just group up all of the active, NOPs with no upcoming POGs, and give them to your TL or ETL instead of mySupporting them yourself.

Last edited:
You said you've done softlines too - just an FYI, all hanging clothing will show as NOP when scanned. If you absolutely cannot find the rack it goes on, hang it with like items from the same brand.

Hey guys, so I just had my second training day... It was a lot of the same and I feel like I'm getting more comfortable now (still confused about a sh*tload of things, but I feel like I can do this)... I think an important thing for newbies like me is to keep an eye out and try to remember who works in what department so if you have questions you know exactly who to ask and your not paging the LOD every 5 minutes.

But, question time, is it normal to have just 3 days of training? I feel like I need a lot more training, but I checked my schedule and it seems I start working next week. I don't even have my ehr password yet and I haven't even been trained on the cash register. Nor do I have a name badge.

What worries me most is that I haven't been trained on the cash register... I mean, my trainer showed me how to check someone out (and I am able to log in) , but that was like 2 times and both times the guest paid with a credit card so it was super easy (I have no idea what to do if someone pays with cash).

I've been scheduled for mostly hardlines and one day in electronics so I think I'll be fine as long as I'm not called up to be a cashier. If I am... Can I just tell them that I haven't had cash register training yet?

Thank you!

Hey guys, so I just had my second training day... It was a lot of the same and I feel like I'm getting more comfortable now (still confused about a sh*tload of things, but I feel like I can do this)... I think an important thing for newbies like me is to keep an eye out and try to remember who works in what department so if you have questions you know exactly who to ask and your not paging the LOD every 5 minutes.

But, question time, is it normal to have just 3 days of training? I feel like I need a lot more training, but I checked my schedule and it seems I start working next week. I don't even have my ehr password yet and I haven't even been trained on the cash register. Nor do I have a name badge.

What worries me most is that I haven't been trained on the cash register... I mean, my trainer showed me how to check someone out (and I am able to log in) , but that was like 2 times and both times the guest paid with a credit card so it was super easy (I have no idea what to do if someone pays with cash).

I've been scheduled for mostly hardlines and one day in electronics so I think I'll be fine as long as I'm not called up to be a cashier. If I am... Can I just tell them that I haven't had cash register training yet?

Thank you!
That's strange to me. At orientation, I was given a two week training schedule. A few days in softlines, one in hardlines, electronics, and cashier. Each day I was scheduled also had my trainers nane, so I knew who to find when I clocked in.

If you're scheduled in electronics, you need to have cashier training. I would mention this to HR. If your electronics shift is with a trainer, they should be able to show you the ropes.

There is an official training program for cashiering, but I never did it. They had me watch a few transactions and then put me on a lane. It's very self explanatory and if you ever need help, ask guest services. I've been at Target for almost a year and still call over a GSA when I need help.

Yeah, I guess if they don't offer cash register training on my next training day (which is also, I'm assuming, my last training day)... I'll just ask my trainer about it and if he can't get me on the official training program for cashiering then I guess the least we can do is teach me how to handle cash transactions. I don't even know how to sign someone up for a Redcard... shouldn't that have been like, the first thing they taught me? :p

Yeah, I guess if they don't offer cash register training on my next training day (which is also, I'm assuming, my last training day)... I'll just ask my trainer about it and if he can't get me on the official training program for cashiering then I guess the least we can do is teach me how to handle cash transactions. I don't even know how to sign someone up for a Redcard... shouldn't that have been like, the first thing they taught me? :p

Redcard applications are pretty easy. Just scan the application pamphlet, it should be in the drawer under the register. The guest will choose debit or credit and fill out the application on the card reader. All you have to do is scan their ID and if it's a debit app insert a blank check in the check machine. I usually ask for the ID and/or check before they start filling out the application so I have it ready.

Also since the couponer army likes to pick on new people, if something seems off about a transaction when you're on backup for the front lanes call over whoever is watching the lanes. At my store they always go for new people and sales floor TMs on backup since they're easy targets, don't let them bully you into taking a coupon. Read those suckers too, especially the razor and toothbrush coupons.

Today (I was in electronics) and someone called my department and asked me to do something... but I had no idea what they were asking me to do (or what they were talking about). He said something about having to "sell something quickly" "because it was on a deadline" luckily the LOD cut in and said he'd take care of it. And then the LOD proceeded to ask for the DPCI?

It's not really important, but I'm just really curious what was going on. You guys have any ideas?

And if the LOD didn't happen to help out... What would be the best way to say "I have no idea what you're talking about, I have no idea what to do"

Last edited:
It suggested to talk to hr for more training, without delay.
Yeah, I feel like I haven't been trained for like 75% of the stuff that goes on in the store. I was basically taught the easiest things... zoning, reshop, vibe, and the most basic functions of the cash register. Although I was told that this would be pretty much everything I'd be doing. I guess the problem is that not everyone is aware that I'm not trained all around and they expect me to know how to do these things.

Was it the front end asking for you to check on an item for a waiting guest?

Your leadership is really dropping the ball. It seems you genuinely want to do everything you can, but don't know certain things. The LOD should have had you help so you could learn. Two birds, one stone.

@BlueSide yeah it was the front end, I think it was the GSTL that was asking.

@DoWork I have to agree with you. I only got 3 days of training and they were only 3 hours long and I was only in electronics/toys. And, really, all I did was zone, reshop, and vibe. However, today, the LOD did come up to me and we talked about getting some more training done.

@Hardlinesmaster
Wow, nice! Thanks for that. It's very helpful.

The worst is being ordered to do something when I have no idea what I'm being asked... especially when you're being asked during a busy time. Also, I hate not having a MyDevice on me, we're always running short on them.

I really like my store though, everyone is really nice, they're just very busy. I think they're really short on people right now so maybe they initially hired me to just fix up the place and backup on cashier? I'll probably learn how to do the more "complicated" stuff eventually.

Hey there guys, me again.

So I see that I'm scheduled for "consumables - sales floor" (which I'm assuming means the market)... but I was never trained for it (I was trained in hardlines and a bit in electronics) (unless consumables is a part of hardlines).
Should I tell HR about it? I don't mind doing it. It's just that I wouldn't know what to do unless it's just zoning, gobacks, and vibe... although, the same thing can be said for my work in hardlines, so I guess I could just bite the bullet and try it out and not "complain."

Hey there guys, me again.

So I see that I'm scheduled for "consumables - sales floor" (which I'm assuming means the market)... but I was never trained for it (I was trained in hardlines and a bit in electronics) (unless consumables is a part of hardlines).
Should I tell HR about it? I don't mind doing it. It's just that I wouldn't know what to do unless it's just zoning, gobacks, and vibe... although, the same thing can be said for my work in hardlines, so I guess I could just bite the bullet and try it out and not "complain."

You may just be zoning dry market. Like HLM said, just check in with your TL or LOD when you get in to see what they want you to do.

Thanks guys. Worst case scenario, I'm forced to learn how to do the more "complicated" stuff in consumables so. We'll see what happens.

Thanks guys. Worst case scenario, I'm forced to learn how to do the more "complicated" stuff in consumables so. We'll see what happens.

If they have you working in fresh grocery (or P-Fresh if you're not in a Super), make sure they know you haven't been sufficiently trained. For all you know, they might be training you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back