Archived I have worked every weekend for 6 months straight

Status
Not open for further replies.
:angry: talked to my HR twice and was basically told we are short handed and for some reason im the only one who can work 10hour days every weekend:angry: so i figured after 6 months of weekends i would request time off, nope! DENIED! tried again earlier this week DENIED! would the hotline actually care about this or am i stuck working every weekend till i quit? every other person is on a rotating weekend schedule but me

If you are a tm, you are stuck on weekends. But, if you give at 2 to 3 weeks notice via time off request, should be no problem.

It's a love hate relationship. I think ever1 including yourself should know that the weekends are BUSY as f*ck lol.

I definitely feel you, except every shift I literally had to work openings including weekends during my summer period. It really has to do with the availability of yourself and other TM's. The advantage is that if u are available on weekends, u can get more hours. The disadvantage is that weekends are much busier as expected and mostly you'll feel like your shorthanded (imagine calling for backup every minute for the cashiers) its like that at our store during peak hours.

Don't feel bad. As suggested by Hardlinesmaster, request timeoff as least 2-3 weeks b4 and you'll be fine. I actually got next weekend off as it feels good.

I got tired of the 10 hr shifts every. ****ing. weekend.

I requested off a saturday here, sunday there. As long as my TL saw it with enough advance notice, no problem.

I feel ur pain I'm on a weekend vacation atm and I worked every weekend for 14months straight tho I myself had a issue when taking the weekend off I requested it six weeks in advance and let them know I was using vacation time well when the schedules came out after everything was approved they still scheduled me 1 of those days and when I asked the etl for hr I was told that its posted it have to work it or find some1 else to work it and multiple people that I've talked to say that the etl was in the wrong for saying that when it was their mistake

I feel ur pain I'm on a weekend vacation atm and I worked every weekend for 14months straight tho I myself had a issue when taking the weekend off I requested it six weeks in advance and let them know I was using vacation time well when the schedules came out after everything was approved they still scheduled me 1 of those days and when I asked the etl for hr I was told that its posted it have to work it or find some1 else to work it and multiple people that I've talked to say that the etl was in the wrong for saying that when it was their mistake

Yeah, when I first started, I was scheduled outside of my availability and the HR person told me, "work it or try to swap it out, but it's your responsibility." I couldn't believe it. Glad it wasn't the ETL so I know better I it happens again.

I guess I'll stick in my 2 cents
rolleyes5.gif

How -- you may say can I do this ---- because I have the 2 cents to rub together
rofl.gif

I hear this in my store sometimes --- mostly from the clueless children
toetap05.gif

Look outside once in a while ---- there's well over a million -- "WITHOUT JOBS"
jackoff.gif

IMHHO -- when you-all kvetch and moan -- "I cant go out with my friends on the weekend " --- "I cant go out of of my house and have a good time" ---- "I cant go out to dinner"
jackoff.gif

Because you "HAVE A JOB" -- you can have money to pick up the check ( just on a different day ) --- You have a house to get out of ( If it was a cardboard box - its easier - just roll over
pissed.gif
) --- Dinner ( does McDonald's take food-stamps ? )

I look at it from the construction point of view ----- "Make it while you can --- because it might not be there later"
7b05d1c5.gif

You-all -- may go back to complaining about your miserable lives now ----------
a14d5b9f.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now an old story from the even older SFT
231.gif

Once upon a time in a better economy - far - far - away --

I worked a job ---- nights - 10 to 11 hours at a time

Weekends -- what are those ?

Tuesday night off only
toetap05.gif

Did I complain -- you bet your ass I did

Did I have a pay check to buy food / utilities / raise kid / cars / house / a vacation every 2 years --- Yes
dc76b29b.gif

Last edited:
If you ask off far enough in advance you should get it off....

That being said I have seen it all here.

"We don't get enough hours!!!!"

"We don't get weekends off ever!!!"

Which will it be? Haha :/

But why should anyone have to ask to have a weekend off once in a while?
I know it is retail,and working weekend comes with the territory,but let's be fair and give everyone the chance to have it off.
I worked 9 months on salesfloor softline mostly ,and worked every weekend ,every shift were closing shift ! I was told that my availabilty was opened,therefore they could schedule me as such .I had several tl tried to talk to hr on my behalf,and a sr tl even changed my availabilty during weekdays,to try to let me have some family time .hr tl only scheduled me on the days I could close telling me that my new availability made it hard on her to schedule me otherwise.
I requested 1 weekend off ( sr tl told me to request it ) and was given 8 days off.
Finally I gave my 2 weeks notice.I was offered right there a flow team position ,I declined,I was burned out .
I came back 3 months later on the flow team.I put my availability mon thru fri 4 am till 3 pm .and really didn't care how many hours I would get ,I started with 20 hrs a week .when asked to stay later,I did,came on my day off as a cashier etc.
A new hrtl came on board and other tl / etl .they asked if I could work on weekends,I said no ( but go on rare occasion when slt calls me on sunday mornings for ad set up) .
I now work roughly 37 hrs a week,doing several things.and work for different tl / etl during the week

Your old HR person was over the top. But by you having every weekend off, that increases the likely hood that some other TM is working every weekend, because someone has to be there during the weekends. And the more people that close their availability during the weekends, the less people there are to draw from, so those who can work then work more.

But in the end, I'm fine working weekends. Paying the bills is just a funny habit of mine, I guess.

My main work center is flow team,mon wed fri ( that is why I applied for it,early morning was fine with me.) but then different tl approach me to get on their team occasionally (plano ,instock,backroom and ad prep ) .
I will not open my availability at all during the weekend ( I work flow on sat during 4 th quarter !)

When I worked BR Day (I did for about 5 years!) there were 3 primary CAF pullers/BR Day team members, myself included. For the last two years, I was in school so I worked literally every weekend, all the time. The other two guys on my team were given alternating weekends off since we had a reasonable team lead. Usually I was the opener every weekend, and they would rotate being the closer every other weekend. This was great and all, until I graduated and opened my availability wide open. I continued to work weekends every week, although I thought surely after working every single weekend for two years and my coworkers getting half their weekends off, at least now I should get some off right? Not really. I had to beg to get a Saturday or Sunday off here and there.

Unless you can come up with a good excuse to get off weekends they will make you work every weekend for your entire career at Target.

I love it when guests/customers/people chuckle about "this economy..." and proceed to pull out their iphone. If anyone complains the economy is not doing well and has an iphone (or cool smartphone) needs a reality check about themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back